My Musical Partner

pogo97

• Members

In our tiny town (pop 5000) I'm lucky enough to have found a great singer with a lifelong career in music. We've been playing together for some years on a variety of projects but have never recorded anything together. Until today. Ladies & gentlemen, Miss Diane Stapley!

• Members

When I heard population 5000 I was ready for anything. What a pleasant surprise. She has good pitch, very nice timbre, and good phrasing. And your playing was really supportive and in the pocket. Really easy to listen to, and for some reason the word honest comes to mind.

Good stuff.

• Members

Pogo97, That was absolutely delightful. Isn't it wonderful to find a great music partner, regardless of the music genre.

I'm in a small town as well. (10,000 pop), but with a twist. I'd estimate that the English-speaking population is only 10-20% of that total. Break that down into various age-groups, and ability to play music, and the talent pool becomes pretty shallow. I sure wish I could find regular/devoted local musicians.

Enjoy your collaboration. Great Stuff. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note View Post
Pogo97, That was absolutely delightful. Isn't it wonderful to find a great music partner, regardless of the music genre.

I'm in a small town as well. (10,000 pop), but with a twist. I'd estimate that the English-speaking population is only 10-20% of that total. Break that down into various age-groups, and ability to play music, and the talent pool becomes pretty shallow. I sure wish I could find regular/devoted local musicians.

I bet you are of French descent, yes?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by joshmac View Post
Very great! Next time I am up your way I will definitely come out and watch ya play!
I wish you could. We basically can't buy a gig in this town. We don't do what the venues are looking for. (And we haven't done a good job of marketing ourselves, either, fwiw.)

In the mid-seventies, Diane had her own national show on the CBC, "The Diane Stapley Show." And she's been in professional music and theatre since she was fifteen, when she started as the singer in a swing band. But the entertainment industry is no friend to age and now she's dependent on the pension and supplement and a bit of vocal teaching. It's barely enough to get by on. It's frustrating to me and scary for her but what can you do? Record videos in my living room, I suppose.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe View Post

I bet you are of French descent, yes?
Mais oui, cheri wink.gif

Actually SB, I'm a 1/2 & 1/2. My mothers' side of the family is French Canadian, and my dad's side of the family was anglophone Canadian. I was educated in the English school system, and my exposure to music was almost uniquely English. That's not to say however, that I can't appreciate the beauty of a Charles Aznavour song, such as "La Boheme",,,, or " Que C'est Triste Venise". There's an entire world of Quebec pop-culture icons, that most of the anglo-world is not aware of. Some of course, have made the transition into both worlds. Celine Dion probably being the most famous.

I think it's just beautiful that two cultures can co-exist, side by side. Musically speaking however., they're for the most part, two parallel worlds Most anglophones here, really don't know the french pop-music scene. And vice-versa. Back in the 60's for example, while "The British Invasion" was spreading 'round the world, Quebec had it's own version of each and every one of those British groups. They performed the same songs,,,, same arrangements,,, and the lyrics were in French. The Quebec version of the Beatles for example, was a group called "Les Barronets", and one of the vocalists in that band was Rene Angelil, who went on to become Celine Dions' manager, and eventually, her husband.

StunningBabe, I believe there is also a French element in your part of the world, n'est-ce pas?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97 View Post
I wish you could. We basically can't buy a gig in this town. We don't do what the venues are looking for. (And we haven't done a good job of marketing ourselves, either, fwiw.)

In the mid-seventies, Diane had her own national show on the CBC, "The Diane Stapley Show." And she's been in professional music and theatre since she was fifteen, when she started as the singer in a swing band. But the entertainment industry is no friend to age and now she's dependent on the pension and supplement and a bit of vocal teaching. It's barely enough to get by on. It's frustrating to me and scary for her but what can you do? Record videos in my living room, I suppose.
Man oh man, with her sense of timing, and her musicality, you'd think once the word gets around, she'd have lots of students looking to advance their technique. In her peak, she must have been outstanding. She's a very beautiful lady, who obviously loves music.Some of the richest moments in life, come from the friends and companionships we keep, and the beautiful moments we share. Money can't buy that.

Just wondering, would there be any potential if Diane associated herself with a local college; giving courses a few days a week? Kingston? Cornwall? Ottawa?

BTW, I'm not that far away either. Lachute Quebec, which is why I know your area. That's Tragically Hip country, isn't it?

• Members

Don't care what that damned parakeet thinks, y'all sound great together! thumb.gif

BTW, y'all could be gigging OFTEN in the nursing homes and retirement communities (and they pay pretty good, too!)....put together an hour worth of that style and start calling Activity Directors. Burn that short video clip onto DVDs, get some business cards made, and you should be getting as busy as you care to get in no time.

Not a glamorous as a smoky bar full of drunken idiots, but y'all will ALWAYS find a welcoming audience, and before you know it, you'll have a circuit built up (I do 3-5 of these gigs every week, except from T'day to New Year's Eve, when I often do 12-15 a week!).

• Members
bobby...Malaysia is a Commonwealth country...but English is not the official language....though it is common to hear English spoken here. French is not used in Malaysia...except by French speaking tourists to each other.
Ah, I couldn't remember what part of the Far East you were from. I was thinking that French was more common in VietNam.

I am surprised to hear there are French 'Beatles'! Can you share some video links of them?
Here's a video of "Les Baronets", complete with the "Beatle suits and haircuts". The guy on the left is Rene Amgelil, Celine Dions' manager/husband. This stuff sure takes me back. I saw these guys performing "Live", and they were a heckuva lot better in person, than their video suggests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SC-s2I8cY

• Members
Wow...I really enjoyed those Links! While we are at French music....are there some well known 80's and 90's French songs that you know...but for people like me don't? Any youtube link?
Well SB, here's a documentary video on a group which performed in French,,,, in California. The video switches back and forth between French and English. The group is called "Harmonium", and these folks were world-class artists/performers. The video really illustrates the parallel cultural existence that I mentioned earlier.

Here's a group that had the most incredible harmonies; "Beau Dommage"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBB3QgNKDY

This guy had SO much heart; Gerry Boulet

This was a huge "hit" back in the late 60's; Robert Charlebois

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Mwjz-2yY8

A lot of this stuff I posted is outdated of course, but they were huge at the time. Although these acts performed in French, it's VERY common to see all-English acts here in Quebec, especially in and around Montreal. I've seen the Rolling Stones do three consecutive shows for example, with sell-out crowds of over 300,000 people over the three days.Pink Floyd would draw similar crowds.

The Montreal International Jazz festival, is one of the worlds' largest music festivals, and features groups/performers from around the planet. The name "Jazz-Festival" is misleading. There's every style of music imaginable. The Mont Tremblant Blues festival is another superb annual event. Music is such a wonderful force to bring us all together,,,, I LOVE it.

My apologies Pogo97, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread.

• Members

Yes ageism is alive and well in the music industry. Just the other day I needed to find a replacement for my duo partner. I phoned the agent to run a few names by him, and he vetoed one name on the basis that the guy was too old looking - whatever that means. Kind of upset me as my suggestion is a great player and singer.

Hopefully you guys can find a niche, because I think folks would really enjoy your stuff. I would try retirement homes, Christmas parties, upscale house parties, and quirky and quaint summertime gigs like cultrual festivals, farmer's markets... There's also ribbon cutting ceremonies, cocktail portion of weddings, wedding ceremonies and so on.

And maybe I'm getting old myself, but I think your friend still looks good.

• Members

I think the whole point is, Diane still has a wonderful 'ear", technical prowess, and showmanship. Add to that the fact that she's pitch-perfect, and still very attractive, and you've got a heck of a combination. It's all in the marketing and presentation.

That said, I know how tough it is to get gigs in small communities these days. Sometimes, you have to take the bull by the horns, and MAKE things happen; become an impresario.

Archived