Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Musical Partner

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Musical Partner

    In our tiny town (pop 5000) I'm lucky enough to have found a great singer with a lifelong career in music. We've been playing together for some years on a variety of projects but have never recorded anything together. Until today. Ladies & gentlemen, Miss Diane Stapley!






    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RTM1MA_Dw
    Hi Mom!

  • #2
    When I heard population 5000 I was ready for anything. What a pleasant surprise. She has good pitch, very nice timbre, and good phrasing. And your playing was really supportive and in the pocket. Really easy to listen to, and for some reason the word honest comes to mind.



    Good stuff.

    Comment


    • #3
      Pogo97, That was absolutely delightful. Isn't it wonderful to find a great music partner, regardless of the music genre.



      I'm in a small town as well. (10,000 pop), but with a twist. I'd estimate that the English-speaking population is only 10-20% of that total. Break that down into various age-groups, and ability to play music, and the talent pool becomes pretty shallow. I sure wish I could find regular/devoted local musicians.



      Enjoy your collaboration. Great Stuff.
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

      (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

      Comment


      • #4






        Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
        View Post

        Pogo97, That was absolutely delightful. Isn't it wonderful to find a great music partner, regardless of the music genre.



        I'm in a small town as well. (10,000 pop), but with a twist. I'd estimate that the English-speaking population is only 10-20% of that total. Break that down into various age-groups, and ability to play music, and the talent pool becomes pretty shallow. I sure wish I could find regular/devoted local musicians.



        Enjoy your collaboration. Great Stuff.




        I bet you are of French descent, yes?

        Comment


        • #5
          pogo91...she's a dear! Nice voice. Pls send my greeting to her ya?

          Comment


          • #6
            Very great! Next time I am up your way I will definitely come out and watch ya play!
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.thedonksband.com" target="_blank">http://www.thedonksband.com</a><br />
            <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/joshmacfarlanemusic" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/joshmacfarlanemusic</a></div>

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by joshmac
              View Post

              Very great! Next time I am up your way I will definitely come out and watch ya play!




              I wish you could. We basically can't buy a gig in this town. We don't do what the venues are looking for. (And we haven't done a good job of marketing ourselves, either, fwiw.)



              In the mid-seventies, Diane had her own national show on the CBC, "The Diane Stapley Show." And she's been in professional music and theatre since she was fifteen, when she started as the singer in a swing band. But the entertainment industry is no friend to age and now she's dependent on the pension and supplement and a bit of vocal teaching. It's barely enough to get by on. It's frustrating to me and scary for her but what can you do? Record videos in my living room, I suppose.
              Hi Mom!

              Comment


              • #8
                Keep doing your thing!
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.thedonksband.com" target="_blank">http://www.thedonksband.com</a><br />
                <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/joshmacfarlanemusic" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/joshmacfarlanemusic</a></div>

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe
                  View Post









                  Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                  View Post

                  Pogo97, That was absolutely delightful. Isn't it wonderful to find a great music partner, regardless of the music genre.



                  I'm in a small town as well. (10,000 pop), but with a twist. I'd estimate that the English-speaking population is only 10-20% of that total. Break that down into various age-groups, and ability to play music, and the talent pool becomes pretty shallow. I sure wish I could find regular/devoted local musicians.



                  Enjoy your collaboration. Great Stuff.








                  I bet you are of French descent, yes?




                  Mais oui, cheri



                  Actually SB, I'm a 1/2 & 1/2. My mothers' side of the family is French Canadian, and my dad's side of the family was anglophone Canadian. I was educated in the English school system, and my exposure to music was almost uniquely English. That's not to say however, that I can't appreciate the beauty of a Charles Aznavour song, such as "La Boheme",,,, or " Que C'est Triste Venise". There's an entire world of Quebec pop-culture icons, that most of the anglo-world is not aware of. Some of course, have made the transition into both worlds. Celine Dion probably being the most famous.



                  I think it's just beautiful that two cultures can co-exist, side by side. Musically speaking however., they're for the most part, two parallel worlds Most anglophones here, really don't know the french pop-music scene. And vice-versa. Back in the 60's for example, while "The British Invasion" was spreading 'round the world, Quebec had it's own version of each and every one of those British groups. They performed the same songs,,,, same arrangements,,, and the lyrics were in French. The Quebec version of the Beatles for example, was a group called "Les Barronets", and one of the vocalists in that band was Rene Angelil, who went on to become Celine Dions' manager, and eventually, her husband.



                  StunningBabe, I believe there is also a French element in your part of the world, n'est-ce pas?
                  Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

                  (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

                  Comment


                  • #10






                    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                    View Post

                    Pogo97, That was absolutely delightful. Isn't it wonderful to find a great music partner, regardless of the music genre.



                    I'm in a small town as well. (10,000 pop), but with a twist. I'd estimate that the English-speaking population is only 10-20% of that total. Break that down into various age-groups, and ability to play music, and the talent pool becomes pretty shallow. I sure wish I could find regular/devoted local musicians.



                    Enjoy your collaboration. Great Stuff.










                    Quote Originally Posted by pogo97
                    View Post

                    I wish you could. We basically can't buy a gig in this town. We don't do what the venues are looking for. (And we haven't done a good job of marketing ourselves, either, fwiw.)



                    In the mid-seventies, Diane had her own national show on the CBC, "The Diane Stapley Show." And she's been in professional music and theatre since she was fifteen, when she started as the singer in a swing band. But the entertainment industry is no friend to age and now she's dependent on the pension and supplement and a bit of vocal teaching. It's barely enough to get by on. It's frustrating to me and scary for her but what can you do? Record videos in my living room, I suppose.




                    Man oh man, with her sense of timing, and her musicality, you'd think once the word gets around, she'd have lots of students looking to advance their technique. In her peak, she must have been outstanding. She's a very beautiful lady, who obviously loves music.Some of the richest moments in life, come from the friends and companionships we keep, and the beautiful moments we share. Money can't buy that.







                    Just wondering, would there be any potential if Diane associated herself with a local college; giving courses a few days a week? Kingston? Cornwall? Ottawa?









                    BTW, I'm not that far away either. Lachute Quebec, which is why I know your area. That's Tragically Hip country, isn't it?
                    Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

                    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      bobby...Malaysia is a Commonwealth country...but English is not the official language....though it is common to hear English spoken here. French is not used in Malaysia...except by French speaking tourists to each other.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am surprised to hear there are French 'Beatles'! Can you share some video links of them?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Don't care what that damned parakeet thinks, y'all sound great together!



                          BTW, y'all could be gigging OFTEN in the nursing homes and retirement communities (and they pay pretty good, too!)....put together an hour worth of that style and start calling Activity Directors. Burn that short video clip onto DVDs, get some business cards made, and you should be getting as busy as you care to get in no time.



                          Not a glamorous as a smoky bar full of drunken idiots, but y'all will ALWAYS find a welcoming audience, and before you know it, you'll have a circuit built up (I do 3-5 of these gigs every week, except from T'day to New Year's Eve, when I often do 12-15 a week!).
                          God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was also thinking nursing home gigs would fit the bill. Many have a piano in the cafeteria.
                            Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
                              View Post

                              ... That's Tragically Hip country, isn't it?




                              Hi Mom!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X