Acoustic Issue- HELP

Potts

• Members

Hopefully I can describe this accurately and maybe some may be able to trouble shoot the issue.

The guitar is a an old Taylor 410 CE with a Fishman Prefix. It sounds great but I've noticed an issue with the low end lately. It almost seems that its not there. I'll attempt to give you an example.

I tweak the sound prior to the gig- it sounds pretty good. Then all of a sudden I hit the strings real hard and I actually hear "additional" bass kick in. Its very noticeable. Its so noticeable that I have to roll the low end off. Then I'll play for awhile and not notice anything until I strike the strings hard again and BAM! The low end returns. This cycle continues throughout the performance.

Does anyone have any ideas? This sounds silly but I HAVE changed the battery- that was my first and only guess.

• Members

Just another guess, but is a little it low-frequency feedback? Is this a new venue or has something changed in the sound environment of an old one--or have you changed something else in your signal chain lately?

FWIW the feeback I sometimes get with my own 410 on the low E string (using a Baggs M1, which is mostly feedback-free) sounds a lot like extra bass, and it comes and goes with loud playing and other variables. It's worst when the string is fretted at the 3rd fret, which makes capoing there a challenge. I can notch it out when I need to, but if this is your problem, I don't know why it would just suddenly appear unless something has changed.

Louis

• Members

Thanks you guys for checking in!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note View Post
Darell, is there any "noise" when you adjust the "bass" fader? What about your end-pin jack,,, is it loose? Have you tried a different cable?
Thanks for the reply! No noise and I haven't checked the end pin jack- good call!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Schwartz View Post
Just another guess, but is a little it low-frequency feedback? Is this a new venue or has something changed in the sound environment of an old one--or have you changed something else in your signal chain lately?

FWIW the feeback I sometimes get with my own 410 on the low E string (using a Baggs M1, which is mostly feebcak-free) sounds a lot like extra bass, and it comes and goes with loud playing and other variables. It's worst when the string is fretted at the 3rd fret, which makes capoing there a challenge. I can notch it out when I need to, but if this is your problem, I don't know why it would just suddenly appear unless something has changed.

Louis
Hey Louis! Thanks! Nothing has changed in the signal path and its definitely something goofy with the pickup I think. I too am familiar with the issues you are talking about- especially capo'd at the 3rd. I hear it and attempt to stop it as soon as I catch it. But this is almost like an on/off switch. Of course nobody but me can hear it. I suppose another guitar player would if I pointed it out but...

• Members

since you have a fishman, that means you have an under the saddle pickup. and you are noticing something different in your tone on the bass strings.....

you should check to see see if you got sweat down the saddle clogging the pickup. if you palm mute over the saddle, it could be that moisture got between the saddle and pickup. take the saddle out and clean the connections.

to save time, use a capo to hold the strings in place. just loosen them and take the button/pins out to remove the strings. that makes for a quick assembly afterward.

my takamine did the same thing you describe. that was the problem. hope it works for you.

• 1 month later...

Archived