Steinway D from heaven

moogerfooger

• Members

I played a show tonight at the Steifel fine arts center in wheeling. It was a wine tasting. I got to play the 2 of a kind D that Johann Stifel bought from Heinrich Steinway. It was originally built for heinrich's New York apartment, but it wouldn't fit. So stifel bought it and put in his living room. It's made of walnut and it is fantsastic. What definition and clarity, and low end out the wazoo . Man what a joy. I played some nice pianos but damn.

photo-15.jpg

photo-16.jpg

photo-17.jpg

Sorry, I just got stoked and thought I'd gloat a little.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
Only 2 "D"s? What are the differences between these two and regular Steinways?

How cool for you to get to play one of them! thumb.gif
Something about the wood and the soundboard configuration. There are plenty of Ds out there but these 2 were made especially for Heinrich. There is a 6' J just down the hall from my office at work that I play most every day, but it doesn't even come close to this one. It's like the difference between a Mercedes E class and a 450 SEL

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by moogerfooger

View Post

Something about the wood and the soundboard configuration. There are plenty of Ds out there but these 2 were made especially for Heinrich. There is a 6' J just down the hall from my office at work that I play most every day, but it doesn't even come close to this one. It's like the difference between a Mercedes E class and a 450 SEL

OK, thanks.

• Members

Must be nice! I play every Sunday (brunch gig) on a Werlein grand (Korean knock-off) that the club won't even pay to have tuned. I stay away from some keys...shame, because the piano has an agreeable, darker sound that works better for me than a more brilliant, brighter piano ala Yamaha.

• Members

one interesting development from doing this show was that my wife was there and now wants me to purchase a grand piano for our living room. we're going piano shopping between Christmas and new years. My Steinway upright will have to go. its a turn of the century 4' 6" I that's pretty beat but still plays.

I'll probably trade it in or give it away.

photo-18.jpg

Archived