300 People, Will the Bose L1 Compact Be Enough?

Sgt. Rock

• Members

I guess I'll find out, tomorrow is the 300 people gig, I'm just background music but I want to be heard. I have a backup plan which consist of running a wireless signal out of the back of the Bose to a Roland AC-60 on a speaker stand. Wish me luck!!

• Members

Good Luck Sgt. Rock. It'll depend largely on crowd behavior. If the crowd is seated,, quietly focused on your performance, you should do ok. If it's a bar-type gig, or a reception-hall, with people milling about, talking, etc, then that'll be a challenge to say the least. Develop a rapport, and have fun with those closest to the stage, and you'll have a great time.

• Members

You know, as a listener I'd like that. Music audible throughout (maybe) but never loud except near the stage, where you go to dance. You won't get as many people up dancing, maybe (sometimes you dance because you can't hear to talk, ya know) but everybody should be happy. Location, the invisible volume knob.

And you have a backup in case.

• Members
I'm just background music but I want to be heard.
If you're just supposed to be background, that shouldn't be a problem for a couple of reasons. The first being that background music needs to be fairly quiet to allow easy conversation. The second reason being that the ambient noise of the crowd would preclude you (or it should) from turning up to get over their noise - so you won't need much rig for the gig.

I play a lot of background gigs (solo to trio) and have sometimes felt the need to turn down in order to bring the crowd noise down.

If you were the main attraction, and dancing was required, that could be a very different story.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shaster View Post
If you're just supposed to be background, that shouldn't be a problem for a couple of reasons. The first being that background music needs to be fairly quiet to allow easy conversation. The second reason being that the ambient noise of the crowd would preclude you (or it should) from turning up to get over their noise - so you won't need much rig for the gig.

I play a lot of background gigs (solo to trio) and have sometimes felt the need to turn down in order to bring the crowd noise down.

If you were the main attraction, and dancing was required, that could be a very different story.
This ^^^^

• Members

First off, there wasn't 300 people there but there was great food and fine looking women. The Bose went through it with flying colors with room to spare. The L1 Compact is ideal for what I do because people 5 feet away can carry on a normal conversation and the people 50 feet away can easily hear the music.

• Members

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. Regarding the lengthly pro/anti debates, it's not about personal preference or allegiance to a brand. It's simply about what works and what doesn't. You never know what you may have to use. Any unbiased information can be very useful in assessing a situation. :-)

Archived