iPad successful at my acoustic duo show last night

rockguitar2000

• Members

So last night was my "CO2 Acoustic Duo" debut at a local bar and grill. I purchased a new iPad to use for this project. We had a few rehearsals using it and I must say it was really nice to have it going during the show.

I run my Breedlove into the Apogee Jam (great device), into the iPad dock connector. I use Agile Partners AmpKit on the iPad for all my effects (delay, reverb, 10 band EQ). I found it very easy to make adjustments to the effects while playing or quickly between songs.

Eventually I'll also play my electric through it with all the decent amp/cab/mic sims it has. Then I run out from the 1/8 headphone jack into a passive direct box straight to the PA via XLR.

I also ran Onsong while AmpKit was running in the background for all my scrolling lyric/chord cheat sheets. Fantastic app. This whole setup is so quick and easy. Even pumped out the in-between set music for the crowd to listen to from it.

• Members

Have never tried using it for effects but using Onsong for the set list backing tracks and between set music was worth the price of admission for me, couldn't imagine not using it now. I do the occasional quiz and now and even put the questions on Onsong, it just all works so well.
Cheers Steve

• Members

I've been using my iPad on stage with the OnSong app for several months now. Only problem I had was overheating when doing an outdoor gig in direct sunlight. I have two guitar apps on it that I've thought of using live, but have a hard time giving up my foot control on the Digitech multieffects pedals. For break music, I use the iPod app from the iPad so I can tailor the music to the venue.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MDLMUSIC

View Post

I've been using my iPad on stage with the OnSong app for several months now. Only problem I had was overheating when doing an outdoor gig in direct sunlight. I have two guitar apps on it that I've thought of using live, but have a hard time giving up my foot control on the Digitech multieffects pedals. For break music, I use the iPod app from the iPad so I can tailor the music to the venue.

I wonder if for the iPad overheating you could just get one of those laptop coolers and set it against the back of the iPad.

• Members

I like the IDEA alot..but doesnt it seem like all your eggs in one basket???
I play in all kinds of venues and I am not sure if one device would be wise, with no back up..
PS: You have to charge also for this device and its backup unless your taking chances...I'm not a takin chances kinda guy.
so what does one cost?
GtrGeorge

• Members

Not a technology guy huh? Why do people that arent into innovations think that new technology is always going to fail?

Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge! View Post
I play in all kinds of venues and I am not sure if one device would be wise, with no back up..
PS: You have to charge also for this device and its backup unless your taking chances...I'm not a takin chances kinda guy.
so what does one cost?
GtrGeorge

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge! View Post
so what does one cost?
GtrGeorge
Quote Originally Posted by aj_guitarist View Post
Great idea. could you do this on a cheaper tablet (so you wouldn't feel so bad if it could stolen and you had to buy another one)?
I still use my laptop at gigs for various reasons including midi control of my TC Voicelive play GTX. But I have an android tablet running Songbook with MP3 backing tracks, and also a duplicate of songbook with tracks on my android phone. In 6 years of laptop gigs, I've never needed the backups, but nice to know that they're there! As for charging, these devices have long battery life, probably enough for a few gigs. In practice, I charge them prior to the gig. If you are paranoid about battery life, bring along the power cord!

As for cost, I bought a refurb Acer A500 for $200. I believe it has more features than iPad, but I don't want to go down that road, it's been debated enough!

There are also much cheaper android tablets that would do the job of running songbook and MP3 tracks. Big Lots is advertising one for $69 for Christmas.

Archived