Wish I had a grittier voice

wkendhacker

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wkendhacker

View Post

maybe a harmless nodule or two wouldn't be so bad. Just saying I wish my voice wasn't so linear....

Sometimes,,,,, there's a dirtier/grittier voice lurking secretly, deep down inside,,,, and the two things that are keeping it from coming out are,,,, the key your singing in,,,, and shyness/restraint. Have a few belts of your favorite libation,,,, crank the music to 11,,,,, and let 'er rip. wink.gif

• Moderators

Funny, I am in the process of trying to 'un-grit' my voice...finding the grit is actually a matter of practice and willingness to push your vocal chords (like overdriving a preamp). It took me a little while to get the smoky/raspy thing going; listen to Louis Armstrong's voice, particularly when he is singing softly, like on 'Wonderful World'...the grit is there, just not being driven...he was my model for getting my voice to go to that edgy sound. For me, a big part was training the diaphragm to generate the 'energy' to get the vocal chords to 'distort'. Singing in a blues band for over a decade honed that for me, now I have to relearn the correct skills to sing cleanly for my solo act...which is one of the main issues holding me back.
B1N also hit on another part of the difference, which is key. I found early on that singing in certain keys worked best (A, G/ Emi, E, C/Ami), whereas in my retraining, almost everything I'm doing 'clean' is winding up in D/Bmi or G....and G is challenging when I get to the lower end, as my voice wants to use the diaphragm to push, and the vocal chords fall into the familiar rasp.
You might also want to check in at the singer's forum.

• Moderators

Funny, I am in the process of trying to 'un-grit' my voice...finding the grit is actually a matter of practice and willingness to push your vocal chords (like overdriving a preamp). It took me a little while to get the smoky/raspy thing going; listen to Louis Armstrong's voice, particularly when he is singing softly, like on 'Wonderful World'...the grit is there, just not being driven...he was my model for getting my voice to go to that edgy sound. For me, a big part was training the diaphragm to generate the 'energy' to get the vocal chords to 'distort'. Singing in a blues band for over a decade honed that for me, now I have to relearn the correct skills to sing cleanly for my solo act...which is one of the main issues holding me back.
B1N also hit on another part of the difference, which is key. I found early on that singing in certain keys worked best (A, G/ Emi, E, C/Ami), whereas in my retraining, almost everything I'm doing 'clean' is winding up in D/Bmi or G....and G is challenging when I get to the lower end, as my voice wants to use the diaphragm to push, and the vocal chords fall into the familiar rasp.
You might also want to check in at the singer's forum.

• Members

i get a case of gritty voice about twice a year. usually following a sinus cold. thats when i bring out the rod stewart, bob seger, brian adams, kenny rogers, tunes. they seem to sound better during that time.those songs are stored away in my "cold" file along with 50 songs i transposed 3-4 notes down so i can sing no matter how i feel.

i've noticed a lot less gritty voice singers since they passed the no smoking rule in restaurants/bars. smoking definately gives you a growl along with singing above your comfort range.

• Members

I can get some grit by singing with my throat closed, but that is bad for the vocal cords. When in a band I can get away with it, but not if I have to sing all night by myself.

There are some singers with that voice quality I love, others I hate.

• Members

Is there a specific style of "grit" you're looking for? Sometimes, folks have the ability to produce the grit, or grain of the style they're looking for, but they just can't do it at performance volume levels. In those instances, the correct mic and/or processing can help.

I recently decided to learn Hoyt Axton's "Della and the Dealer'. Now, Hoyt Axton has a lot of deep timbre to his voice. I can sometimes get there in the songs' original key (A), but I can't produce much volume. The low-note he sings is a low D.

I had a Sennheiser e945 sitting on a shelf in my studio, plugged it into a small mixer and an AER Compact 60/2, and bingo, there it was,,, with no EQ applied..

Listen to these two versions of the same song; The first version is the original recording, with his deep voice being VERY prominent. In the second version, he's hitting the same notes, but the mic he's using, and the way it's EQ'd, doesn't let those low notes really stand out.

Archived