Band in a Box users

fingerpicker

• Members

I have still not decided on what I want to use for backing tracks specifically for latin jazz music. I want it to be consistant and have found some great mp3 tracks but I cant find everything i need so i will be making my own.

My question is are there alot of latin patterns already in the band in a box? Think Gypsy kings meets carlos santana (on the light side.)

Also can I just get the $129 version or do I want the more expensive one?

Whattya think? wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fingerpicker View Post
I have still not decided on what I want to use for backing tracks specifically for latin jazz music. I want it to be consistant and have found some great mp3 tracks but I cant find everything i need so i will be making my own.

My question is are there alot of latin patterns already in the band in a box? Think Gypsy kings meets carlos santana (on the light side.)

Also can I just get the $129 version or do I want the more expensive one?

Whattya think? wave.gif
BIAB is an interesting piece of software (and it does come with LOTS of rhythm patterns and arrangement ideas). I think it's great as a practice tool and sketch environment, but I wouldn't use it out of the box wink.gif in a live setting.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fingerpicker View Post
So what would you suggest?
If you are really going to make your own BIAB is a decent starting point. It's a lot of work, especially for something which is as groove reliant as Santana - if the percussion is not kicking, you are dead in the water, no matter how good your guitar part is.

My biggest concern is just using whatever BIAB generates. Like I said above, BIAB is a place to get ideas and play around with arrangements, but without some human touch the grooves are pretty stiff - the audience might tolerate it but it won't put asses in motion.

• Members

You might want to look at Jamcussion, from rayzoon.com. The learning curve is a little steep, but once you figure out how to work with the groove parameters and the different drummer models it can generate very realistic feeling Latin percussion parts. It also comes with some decent sounding kits.

• Members

The track is going to be pretty sparce. Light percussion and Bass guitar. I may drop the track into my home studio and then add some real parts (djembe, etc.)

The focus will definately be on me musically. I really need to get this up and running by March for gigs thats why I figured band in a box would be my best option.

FWIW I have an Alesis sr 18 and the sounds in that are totally acceptable but its such a pain in the ass to program.

EDIT: Just listened to some sample songs via youtube, etc. With the 2012 version. The sounds are pretty awesome to my ears. SOOOO can I get by with just the basic purchase? or??

• Members

The output of BiaB is very good, but I don't think it's "quite ready for prime time". With a little tweaking, you can take the very good output of BiaB and turn it into something truly excellent.

I've been asked this question so many times that rather than type away again and again, I wrote a web page on how I make Backing Tracks (using BiaB and a sequencer) and how I use them on stage. Take what you want and leave the rest:
http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

I also write aftermarket styles for BiaB at http://www.nortonmusic.com
mp3 demos at http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html

BiaB comes with two different kinds of styles, RealTracks (audio loops) and MIDI. While I admit the RTs are great sounding, they are for all practical purposes non-editable so you are stuck with what the other musicians played. I'm a believer that as long as the tone is decent, performance is more important than tone.

If you have a decent MIDI synth, the MIDI tracks sound almost as good as the RTs, and you can edit them to turn the very good output into something you would want to hear on stage every night. You can add song-specific licks, edit parts played by the style that are not appropriate for the song you are building, put a decent intro/ending on them, change instrument sounds, etc. - more info about that here: http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_vs_loops.html

All and all, I think BiaB is the best auto-accompaniment software/hardware solution going today, but like almost anything else completely automated (especially in the artistic field) it needs some human intervention to take the very good kernel generated by the machine and turn it into something worthy.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived