whatz so bad about "Brown Eyed Girl" anyway

J.Paul

• Moderators

the problem is that every band everywhere has played that song to death. At one point the drummer in our blues band insisted we add it to our playlist...he's no longer with us. It isn't the song's fault, per se, it is, well... I blame society. Mustang Sally, Proud Mary, HOTRS, Stand By Me (sadly), My Girl (also sadly)...they have just been done so many times they have become, well ...trite, and to me playing them seems obsequious. Anyone who spent years in cover bands, especially playing 5 night strips for years, knows where I am coming from. There are songs you just don't want to ever have to play ever again.

• Members

I still like playing it and it always seems to go over. Almost any time during the night - no matter what set. It is "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" that I can't stomach anymore. But, whenever we drop it from the list it ends up getting requested. Ug!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
And how come no bass player can ever get that "wild nights" intro right? Why do they always improv it?
Maybe they can but they choose not to...although judging by how many of them can't play the groove to "Play That Funky Music" right, maybe bass players just generally either don't care or have {censored}ty ears.

I can play it right, and if I ever played that song at a show, I would play it right every time because I pride myself on that, but obviously your experience has been different because we've never met. smile.gif

Oh, and I still dig Brown Eyed Girl. It just has a stigma because it's been so overdone.
Brian V.

• Members

wow ~ 14 hours later
Deadly accurate responses from both Bob Dey and Dadddy Mack (although polar opposite perspectives).....

keep them coming....

I've been making albums for 20 years and haven't been subjected to "punching the timecard" with what should have been art~ until now....

Playing this song is a drag (according to you guys in 1,000 + other posts). Why?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by davebols View Post
Great song indeed. The first song I played out in a band was Gloria. I was 12 then and I've been a Van fan ever since.
Wow. Another brother from a different mother. That band wasn't in Baltimore was it? You aren't one of my original bandmates?

As to Brown Eyed Girl, I love the song and it is always sure to get my wife and I dancing. And from dancing who knows where the night will go? wave.gif

• Members

Nothing..If people like it and I like it I'll do it. There are so many good tunes out there that people like AND more importantly I like that it's not a problem. I just choose covers I dig and don't try to keep up with all the "popular" bull{censored} of the day..WHY, ya know? DRIVE ON

Archived