Collapse
No announcement yet.

whatz so bad about "Brown Eyed Girl" anyway

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing wrong with it at all. I don't think you can call a song "worn out" when it still gets such a positive reaction.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
      View Post

Somehow I still like "Brown Eyed Girl".

It's every over-played Eagles song that I have a problem with.

YES. Or Sharp-Dressed Man. Hurts So Good. So many others out there that are far more mind-numbingly monotonous and boring than BEG IMO.
      Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Never played it in any bands. It's a great song and that's why it's been overdone. Been playing it as a solo for about 20 years and try to play it with feeling every time. I do it very close to the original version.
        BD

Comment

Great song indeed. The first song I played out in a band was Gloria. I was 12 then and I've been a Van fan ever since.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin
            View Post

And how come no bass player can ever get that "wild nights" intro right? Why do they always improv it?

Maybe they can but they choose not to...although judging by how many of them can't play the groove to "Play That Funky Music" right, maybe bass players just generally either don't care or have ****************ty ears.

I can play it right, and if I ever played that song at a show, I would play it right every time because I pride myself on that, but obviously your experience has been different because we've never met.

Oh, and I still dig Brown Eyed Girl. It just has a stigma because it's been so overdone.

Brian V.
            "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

wow ~ 14 hours later

Deadly accurate responses from both Bob Dey and Dadddy Mack (although polar opposite perspectives).....

keep them coming....

I've been making albums for 20 years and haven't been subjected to "punching the timecard" with what should have been art~ until now....

Playing this song is a drag (according to you guys in 1,000 + other posts). Why?
              SELLING
              $40 Washburn Lyon wah
              $50 Korg EXP2 expression pedal
              $80 Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal
              $60 Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
              $600 Rivera TBR1 2 channel preamp stereo power amp
              $150 Roland GP100 preamp/multi effects/ speaker emulator
              $140 Carvin DCM 150-150 watt stereo power amp

www.jpaulmusic.com
              www.facebook.com/jpaulmusic

Comment

Who says it's bad? It works and is fun to play.

Notes
                Bob "Notes" Norton
                Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box and add on styles for Microsoft SongSmith
                The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Wild Night goes over great.
                  Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by davebols
                    View Post

Great song indeed. The first song I played out in a band was Gloria. I was 12 then and I've been a Van fan ever since.

Wow. Another brother from a different mother. That band wasn't in Baltimore was it? You aren't one of my original bandmates?

As to Brown Eyed Girl, I love the song and it is always sure to get my wife and I dancing. And from dancing who knows where the night will go?

Comment

Nothing..If people like it and I like it I'll do it. There are so many good tunes out there that people like AND more importantly I like that it's not a problem. I just choose covers I dig and don't try to keep up with all the "popular" bull**************** of the day..WHY, ya know? DRIVE ON

Comment

When I'm playing solo, I only play Brown Eyed Girl as a request, and I rarely (maybe once a year) get a request for it. I'm tired of the tune, and for me, it's only worth playing if people are going to sing, dance, whoop and holler.

Before I quit playing the tune (as a solo) I got into quite the discussion a few years back with a guy who was really upset that I had played the song. He liked what I was doing but ragged on me for being so pedestrian in calling B.E.G.. I realized then and there that I shouldn't play a tune I didn't like, in the hopes that others might. Because it could very well backfire, and other folks might be just as tired as I am of hearing the same old stuff.

Frankly, if I'm out somewhere, the last thing I want to hear is Brown Eyed Girl. However, if you like the tune and want to play it - more power to you. It's catchy, it's got clever lyrics, a good beat and it actually has a bass solo in the middle. Maybe that's why it's still hanging around.

Now I've probably jinxed myself, and I'll get a request for Brown Eyed Girl and Mustang Sally!

Comment

You could kill two stones at once and play Brown Eyed Sally.
                          “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                          -Rachel Carson-

Comment

or three, and play Proud Eyed Sally...I'm jus'sayin'...
                            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I think there is FAR more worry about what is "overplayed" by musicians than the audience. As my band gigs (and gets older) we see more younger folks out. Those people have not heard Mustang Sally or Brown Eyed Girl or whatever 10,000 times. To them, it's not that worn out. Play what you want and enjoy the moment, it will end way faster than you imagine.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack
                                View Post

or three, and play Proud Eyed Sally...I'm jus'sayin'...

“One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                                -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Working...
                                X