a good hook

tells a story

isn't slow and brooding

chicks dance to it

fire away
    www.jpaulmusic.com
    www.facebook.com/jpaulmusic

I do the song at every job.

along with -- moondance, wild nights, into the mystic, and have i told you lately

Van is the man.

Comment

Great tune...my 2nd fave VM tune, with "Wild Night" being #1.
      God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

the problem is that every band everywhere has played that song to death. At one point the drummer in our blues band insisted we add it to our playlist...he's no longer with us. It isn't the song's fault, per se, it is, well... I blame society. Mustang Sally, Proud Mary, HOTRS, Stand By Me (sadly), My Girl (also sadly)...they have just been done so many times they have become, well ...trite, and to me playing them seems obsequious. Anyone who spent years in cover bands, especially playing 5 night strips for years, knows where I am coming from. There are songs you just don't want to ever have to play ever again.
        _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall
          View Post

Great tune...my 2nd fave VM tune, with "Wild Night" being #1.

I always thought that "Wild Night" should be Van's "Proud Mary Moment"
          Hi Mom!

Comment

Domino is another good one.

Comment

I like it, too. Plus I get to tell the Van Morrison story every time I introduce it:

Do any of you know how Van Morrison got his unique first name? A: It was where he was conceived! (moans from audience)

Comment

And there's the thing--Van wrote probably a dozen, maybe more, REALLY GREAT songs. And while all-but-one of those are generally tolerated, one is, apparently, required. Some of us don't think songs should be required.
                Hi Mom!

Comment

Kinda funny Wild nights, Brown eyed girl and proud mary were all songs in the last band I played in, I always wondered why, now I know, maybe it's just in our DNA now?

Comment

And how come no bass player can ever get that "wild nights" intro right? Why do they always improv it?

Comment

Somehow I still like "Brown Eyed Girl".

It's every over-played Eagles song that I have a problem with.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color="DarkGreen">“One who loves &amp; understands nature will never be alone &amp; will never be afraid.”</font></font></font><br />
                      <font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color="DarkGreen">-Rachel Carson-</font></font></font></div>

Comment

I like it. Total mindless warm up song to get a sense of the crowd. Dont even have to think about playing it anymore.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">A study in guitar mediocrity at <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Jbviper44" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/Jbviper44</a><br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        Reverend Manta Ray 290<br />
                        Gibson LP Special <br />
                        Fender Highway 1 Tele<br />
                        Squier Strat <br />
                        Takamine EF340<br />
                        Seagull S12+<br />
                        Buncha pedals...couple of Vox amps<br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        Good deals from: sa1126, .homewrecker.; supersonic44; missfortune; AMPlifire; scobro; marchofflames<br />
                        <br />
                        &quot;Someday we'll look back on this...and it will all seem funny.&quot; <br />
                        - The Boss -</div>

Comment

I still like playing it and it always seems to go over. Almost any time during the night - no matter what set. It is "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" that I can't stomach anymore. But, whenever we drop it from the list it ends up getting requested. Ug!

Comment

Wow...refreshing that nobody ragged on it. I play it almost every gig too. I wouldn't listen to it if it came on the radio though.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.justdarrell.com" target="_blank">Just Darrell Web Site</a></div>

Comment

I find it's a great song, as long as it's well played. The impact of the first few seconds of that song, make or break it IMO. You gotta be able to pull off the licks, and it's so much better when you have a good bass-player. If it's just strummed solo,,,, nah.
                              Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Working...
                              X