Buying More but Bringing Less!

Potts

• Members

So I went on a little spree this summer and purchased an extra sub and additional lights and a bunch of other stuff that I HAD TO HAVE.

Do you know where they are? In the garage. I'll probably start lugging it around when the nice weather breaks but for now I really don't need to bring all the extra junk. Anyone else?

• Members

This is why I still haven't purchased a 2nd subwoofer. I live in a cramped apartment, so there isn't a whole lot of room to store stuff there. Most of the time, we rarely need it. I will be renting it again from the music store for tonight's gig.

But I guess it's better to have it available for when you will actually need it, right? Whenever that will be.. icon_lol.gif

• Members

This is why I still haven't purchased a 2nd subwoofer. I live in a cramped apartment, so there isn't a whole lot of room to store stuff there. Most of the time, we rarely need it. I will be renting it again from the music store for tonight's gig.

But I guess it's better to have it available for when you will actually need it, right? Whenever that will be.. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I rarely bring (or need) a sub to small acoustic gigs. I've got a bunch of Yorkville NX55P's, and they go really low for a 12" box. Claimed low-frequency response is 45Hz (-3dB) The nice thing about that is, it's not one of those "bass boost" pre-sets that I hate so much. You can very nicely control the amount of low-end extension, with the on-board shelving EQ, and it never colors the vocal range.

Aside from that, I'm often bringing the least amount of equipment possible, but,,,,, sometimes small/compact/light can be overdone IMO. Example; I bought a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX last year. It sounds great, but it's very "fiddly" in the sense that you really have to fiddle with the knobs to get it sounding good. I find it a lot easier to work with my Soundcraft EFX-8, which is really not a whole lot bigger after you factor in the built-in power-supply..

For basic lighting, I'll usually grab a couple of LEDRains, and leave the Lumi-Pro 4-bars at home. It there's a dance-floor, I might bring a laser or a MiracLED, but my light-trees are very heavy 12-footers, and those are a drag to haul around.

• Members

I rarely bring (or need) a sub to small acoustic gigs. I've got a bunch of Yorkville NX55P's, and they go really low for a 12" box. Claimed low-frequency response is 45Hz (-3dB) The nice thing about that is, it's not one of those "bass boost" pre-sets that I hate so much. You can very nicely control the amount of low-end extension, with the on-board shelving EQ, and it never colors the vocal range.

Aside from that, I'm often bringing the least amount of equipment possible, but,,,,, sometimes small/compact/light can be overdone IMO. Example; I bought a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX last year. It sounds great, but it's very "fiddly" in the sense that you really have to fiddle with the knobs to get it sounding good. I find it a lot easier to work with my Soundcraft EFX-8, which is really not a whole lot bigger after you factor in the built-in power-supply..

For basic lighting, I'll usually grab a couple of LEDRains, and leave the Lumi-Pro 4-bars at home. It there's a dance-floor, I might bring a laser or a MiracLED, but my light-trees are very heavy 12-footers, and those are a drag to haul around.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
So I went on a little spree this summer and purchased an extra sub and additional lights and a bunch of other stuff that I HAD TO HAVE.

Do you know where they are? In the garage. I'll probably start lugging it around when the nice weather breaks but for now I really don't need to bring all the extra junk. Anyone else?
Funny you should mention lights. Sometime in late spring, I picked up two Yorkville lp302's (total of four par 56 cans) and a Yorkville lp608 foot controller. The original retail on that package would have been around $1500.00, but I got it much cheaper. And I've used it.... zero times. Fortunately I got a good price on it because so many people want LED lights, so I don't mind it just sitting there. I've had occasion to use it but the thought of packing extra means it got left behind. Hmmmm, I've got a house party this weekend, so maybe I'll use my lights, or maybe not!

I've been doing mostly solo or band gigs in venues with house systems, and my big PA isn't seeing all that much action. In fact I just provided PA for a school Xmas concert and took out my Yorkville U15's just to give them some use. I've been mainly using 10" and even 8" speakers on my solo gigs, so smaller generally seems to be the key these days. and my go to band PA is generally Yorkville e210's and one Yorkville NX720 sub, small and tidy.

Guess I'm getting old(er).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post

Funny you should mention lights. Sometime in late spring, I picked up two Yorkville lp302's (total of four par 56 cans) and a Yorkville lp608 foot controller. The original retail on that package would have been around $1500.00, but I got it much cheaper. And I've used it.... zero times. Fortunately I got a good price on it because so many people want LED lights, so I don't mind it just sitting there. I've had occasion to use it but the thought of packing extra means it got left behind. Hmmmm, I've got a house party this weekend, so maybe I'll use my lights, or maybe not!

I've been doing mostly solo or band gigs in venues with house systems, and my big PA isn't seeing all that much action. In fact I just provided PA for a school Xmas concert and took out my Yorkville U15's just to give them some use. I've been mainly using 10" and even 8" speakers on my solo gigs, so smaller generally seems to be the key these days. and my go to band PA is generally Yorkville e210's and one Yorkville NX720 sub, small and tidy.

Guess I'm getting old(er).

• Members

I play stereo through 2 30-watt Crate CA30DG's. I use a small pa head and one Mackie speaker on a stand. I have an Alesis Microverb for my guitar and a Microverb2 for vocals. If I play in a duo, we bring another speaker and his stuff. I try to be as compact as I can. I keep getting paid. I think I'll stay small.

• Members

I play stereo through 2 30-watt Crate CA30DG's. I use a small pa head and one Mackie speaker on a stand. I have an Alesis Microverb for my guitar and a Microverb2 for vocals. If I play in a duo, we bring another speaker and his stuff. I try to be as compact as I can. I keep getting paid. I think I'll stay small.

• Members

I brought more equipment for NYE gig than the usual. They wanted me to play keyboard on some songs which I haven't used at gigs since putting my BT on a laptop, over 7 years ago. I also brought in my best 15" EV powered speakers and wow it sounded really good!

Archived