Galaxy Audio LA4????

ptkbass

• Members

I'm looking to dowsize for the solo gigs, and am close to pulling the Fishstick trigger. But first, I'm looking into appropriate sized passive line array speakers. I like my powered mixer and like having the controls at my finger tips. I don't want the Bose Panaray 402 because I don't want to haul around the active EQ. And the only other thing I can find is the Galaxy Audio Lab LA4B; maybe even buy two of them and stack them. But I can't find any reviews on line, and there's none in my local stores to try out. It'd be only for the solo gig, and I'd keep my 12" cabs for bigger, louder, outdoor gigs. Anybody ever plug one or more of them in? Any other portable passive line array speakers that I'm overlooking?

It's this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/LA4.php

Best,
Paul K

• Moderators

The 'Fishstick' really is for indoor use; the Galaxy unit under discussions sounds like a weak attempt to copy it. Both dboomer and myself immediately felt the wattage was way underpowered based on the configuration. Why they designed their array at 16ohms with only 125W is beyond me.

• Members

I'm using the Carvin LM-12's. They're wonderful. Light (neo speakers), fit in the trunk, and I put both on one pole with one of those "T" things and spread them about 30 or 40 degrees apart. Powered mixer is the small Carvin unit with the class D amps (10 lbs). Mic is the Shure WH30. . The sound is more than good enough. I get lots of compliments on the tone and sound from musicians. And find that on bass gigs, I'm using the same setup instead of my bass rig. I'm really just amazed at the bang for the buck. But visually on a solo gig, the big speakers freak people out, and makes my back line look rather imposing--not the wine bar look. Bose sticks aren't in the running because they don't have on board reverb; Fishstick does. If I'm going to need to bring in a sub and a separate mixer and the cables to connect it, I'd rather stay with the Carvin mixer/amp unit since I already own it. Maybe bring one of the LM-12's and put it on the floor to fill out the bottom for gigs that aren't large enough to use both LM-12's.

This future speaker doesn't need to be loud. I can always bring the LM-12's for that. And I assume I'd want two of the Galaxy speakers stacked (but may just buy them one at a time in case one is enough, or if they suck.....). But I don't know anything about the Galaxy products. Their product line appears to be in a specialty area of pro audio--the personal monitor thing. Is it good stuff or bad stuff? I've got no place nearby that has them in stock for me to plug them in.

(And regarding their 16 ohm impedance, I assumed that was because they are intended to be used in a pair.)

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Old thread - but has anyone tried these yet? I'm looking for something cool looking to pole mount over my two 25 lb 15" subs. I'm presently using Behringer B208's (a bit fugly but OK) but have a spare amp channel (NU3000, 1500w @ 2 ohms) that should be plenty for these 16 ohm cabs. The 8 ohm subs are on the other channel so the relative power should be good (2x subs to tops). I'll save a bit of setup time too, not having to AC power the tops. Crossover at 150Hz is OK with me, I'm using 125Hz now.

EDIT> Weird, GC/MF only has them in white - everywhere else has black also. But I have a 20% coupon for GC so $340 shipped after tax for a pair is far cheaper than anywhere else...

• Members
Old thread - but has anyone tried these yet? .

I bought a pair and don't like them. No highs, no lows. I wouldn't buy them again.

They do look less intimidating than other speakers, but without a tweeter they sound dull.

I did buy a top hat and put it into the bottom of one speaker so I could stack them, so it looks real cool.

But IMHO, buy something else. Or buy mine for cheap.

• Members

What do you want for yours? So, you modded one so you could stack them? I have subs, and parametric EQ available to "fix" the high end - I used to run Bose 802's back in the days so know all about dealing with "No highs, No lows" LOL.

• Members
What do you want for yours? .

More room in the closet would be nice.....

Hmmm.....How about $150 for the pair plus shipping. I also put feet on them....they didn't come with feet. And to make sure we're talking apples to apples, these are the un-powered ones. 16 ohms so you can daisy chain four of them for a 4ohm load. And indeed, one has the top hat on the top and bottom for easy stacking. I use a plastic tube for the connection. It looks pretty slick.

Of more interest, may be the EAW JF80 that I have: http://eaw.com/docs/2_Legacy_Products/Loudspeakers/JF/JF80/JF80_polar.pdf

I think it sounds way better and would mate well with a powered sub. I don't use it because it isn't as efficient as the speakers in my Carvin AG300, and the difference is very noticeable. My Carvin LM12 matches it much, much better at the same weight. But if you're not matching it with anything, it'd be wonderful. Catch is that there's no 1/4 inch plug; only neutrik speakon and a hard wire....so you'd need the appropriate connectors. I'd sell that for $100 plus shipping. It's really a great speaker for permanent installations.

Northern Connecticut, eh? Ever road trip to Ithaca? Plug them both in and save shipping!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Finally got to try them out. I ran a single stack of these two stacked over a pair of 8 ohm 15" subs, using the two channels of an NU3000 with my XR12 mixer set to do a 125Hz crossover. The LA4's were significantly more efficient than expected - I had to boost the sub channel by 3 db to even them out (and these are efficient subs and half the ohms). I guesstimated a 12db boost at 16KHz using a PEQ of Q=4 from the spec sheet and it was pretty close - nice clear highs, no feedback, and the LA4's were even maybe a bit "in your face" at the upper mids (JBLish :p ) but great for live sound. I need to fabricate a shorter pole and make it all tighter but I have a winner here :) . This was for a full four piece band (3 vocals, bass direct no amp, heavy hitting drummer, guitar, and keys direct no amp) in a medium-small venue (200 cap?) and I'd guesstimate it could have handled twice that no prob. The dispersion was so good that nobody noticed it was a single stack until I pointed it out ;) . With the two stacked for a total "hang length" of 3-1/2 feet they even start to be a real line array ;) .

• Members

One would have been fine (as would one LA4) - but I wanted to see if the pair of LA4's could keep up and surprisingly it was the subs that needed the boosting. The 15" "subs" are actually my bass cabs (I had them built with pole cups) - I used a single one on-stage last weekend at a festival at a ~1000 cap park. Dunno where I'd ever need both, maybe on a metal gig LOL:

http://revsound.net/products/rs115

Archived