Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy Audio LA4????

I'm looking to dowsize for the solo gigs, and am close to pulling the Fishstick trigger. But first, I'm looking into appropriate sized passive line array speakers. I like my powered mixer and like having the controls at my finger tips. I don't want the Bose Panaray 402 because I don't want to haul around the active EQ. And the only other thing I can find is the Galaxy Audio Lab LA4B; maybe even buy two of them and stack them. But I can't find any reviews on line, and there's none in my local stores to try out. It'd be only for the solo gig, and I'd keep my 12" cabs for bigger, louder, outdoor gigs. Anybody ever plug one or more of them in? Any other portable passive line array speakers that I'm overlooking?

It's this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/LA4.php

Best,

Paul K

My only concern with this would be SPL from 125W [@16ohms] may not be adequate for some rooms
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Lots of light weight speakers out there now days. Line arrays - idk. May I ask what 12" cabs you're using now?
      Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

Comment

Understand that it is a 16 ohm speaker. That means that you'll need a 250W amp (into the normal 8 ohms) to be able to deliver 125 to this speaker. I'm also guessing that if you put any bass into it it's gonna get ugly very fast.
        Don Boomer

Comment

I saw a guy using the fishman stick outside and it was unimpressive, even though he was very close to his audience. it sounded thin lacked presence. But the Bose L1 with a bass module sounds pretty good.

Comment

The 'Fishstick' really is for indoor use; the Galaxy unit under discussions sounds like a weak attempt to copy it. Both dboomer and myself immediately felt the wattage was way underpowered based on the configuration. Why they designed their array at 16ohms with only 125W is beyond me.
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I'm using the Carvin LM-12's. They're wonderful. Light (neo speakers), fit in the trunk, and I put both on one pole with one of those "T" things and spread them about 30 or 40 degrees apart. Powered mixer is the small Carvin unit with the class D amps (10 lbs). Mic is the Shure WH30. . The sound is more than good enough. I get lots of compliments on the tone and sound from musicians. And find that on bass gigs, I'm using the same setup instead of my bass rig. I'm really just amazed at the bang for the buck. But visually on a solo gig, the big speakers freak people out, and makes my back line look rather imposing--not the wine bar look. Bose sticks aren't in the running because they don't have on board reverb; Fishstick does. If I'm going to need to bring in a sub and a separate mixer and the cables to connect it, I'd rather stay with the Carvin mixer/amp unit since I already own it. Maybe bring one of the LM-12's and put it on the floor to fill out the bottom for gigs that aren't large enough to use both LM-12's.

This future speaker doesn't need to be loud. I can always bring the LM-12's for that. And I assume I'd want two of the Galaxy speakers stacked (but may just buy them one at a time in case one is enough, or if they suck.....). But I don't know anything about the Galaxy products. Their product line appears to be in a specialty area of pro audio--the personal monitor thing. Is it good stuff or bad stuff? I've got no place nearby that has them in stock for me to plug them in.

(And regarding their 16 ohm impedance, I assumed that was because they are intended to be used in a pair.)

Comment

Working...
              X