How did you build your fan base?

stratmansblues

• Members

I've been playing solo acoustic shows for the last 3 years and have yet to build a fan base. I throw my name out there at the shows, pass business cards out, etc. I played a regular gig at a college bar for a little over a year and every show was like playing there for the first time, even though the people were mostly the same. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong? I get compliments on my material and my sound. I receive more tips than I ever did playing with bands or in duos.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stratmansblues View Post
I get compliments on my material and my sound. I receive more tips than I ever did playing with bands or in duos.
Then you're doing something right!
I have a website, facebook and send out flyers for almost all my gigs. The best advertisement is still word of mouth. Keep handing out those cards. Maybe do something that sets you apart from the other acts in your area, either your image or your song selection or something. Find what's unique about you and capitalize on it.

• Members

do you have anybody ask where you'll be playing next or in the future? it might be a good idea to make a list of where you'll be performing and mention that you have a list of coming events on the front of the stage if anybody is interested. that way, people will pick it up and you'll see them when you play other gigs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by leftyjay

View Post

do you have anybody ask where you'll be playing next or in the future? it might be a good idea to make a list of where you'll be performing and mention that you have a list of coming events on the front of the stage if anybody is interested. that way, people will pick it up and you'll see them when you play other gigs.

Yep! They don't even have to be anything beautiful- just name/website and dates. Good call Jay.

• Members

just remember to mention it each set. people may not talk to me at all, but they pick up a list of my gigs. pretty soon you start seeing them at different gigs. each month i make about 100 pages. usually they are all gone in a week or two (7-10 gigs). then you start remembering the songs those people like to dance to or ask for. then they become groupies smile.gif

• Members

fwiw: I find college aged people very clique oriented..so its all about them and unless theyve been told that COLDPLAY is best band on the planet they dont let much in. Sorry to say that, but thats what Ive seen. Still, there are a few good people in all that and giving them a gig list a is great idea. And thank them for coming out.
GtrGeorge

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge! View Post
fwiw: I find college aged people very clique oriented..so its all about them and unless theyve been told that COLDPLAY is best band on the planet they dont let much in. Sorry to say that, but thats what Ive seen. Still, there are a few good people in all that and giving them a gig list a is great idea. And thank them for coming out.
GtrGeorge
George, you've got it part way right. When I played for college kids, they were very clique oriented, but I passed myself off as something avant-garde by doing whatever the {censored} I wanted to. Luckily it worked! I did a lot of Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon, weird old story-song country, old rock, and they ate it up. Act like it's cool and it will be! ( Plus I listened to what they wanted and learned a lot of their requests. )
The other great thing about college kids is that they're all getting married in the next few years! Hand out those cards!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by leftyjay

View Post

I inquired about doing this in the BWTB forum and got absolutely lambasted over the suggestion. They really raked me over the coals about what a bad idea this was because it would piss off the venue you are playing at to advertise that you are playing elsewhere. My rear end is still sore over the pounding I got about this idea.

• Members

Start building an email list of fans or get them to friend you on facebook. One way is to have a giveaway that requires entry cards with name, email, phone, address, whatever method you want to use to send your future gig notice. You'll need a prize good enough to get entries. Or, if you want to keep your list down to true fans, you can invite people to just fill out a card to receive emails.

Facebook has worked for me because you can create an event and send it out to any or all of your friends.

• Members

I do website, a monthly email, have cards ready with a link to an online calandar, *****Talk to everyone that seems like they want conversation****.

What I also do is make a point of going to anyplace I play regularly and spend a litlle $$$ and tip real well. Having a drink with the locals every now and then and establishing relationships with people is more important than anything for my types of gigs.

Archived