Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you build your fan base?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How did you build your fan base?

    I've been playing solo acoustic shows for the last 3 years and have yet to build a fan base. I throw my name out there at the shows, pass business cards out, etc. I played a regular gig at a college bar for a little over a year and every show was like playing there for the first time, even though the people were mostly the same. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong? I get compliments on my material and my sound. I receive more tips than I ever did playing with bands or in duos.
    http://www.drewrobbins.com

  • #2






    Quote Originally Posted by stratmansblues
    View Post

    I get compliments on my material and my sound. I receive more tips than I ever did playing with bands or in duos.




    Then you're doing something right!

    I have a website, facebook and send out flyers for almost all my gigs. The best advertisement is still word of mouth. Keep handing out those cards. Maybe do something that sets you apart from the other acts in your area, either your image or your song selection or something. Find what's unique about you and capitalize on it.

    Comment


    • #3
      do you have anybody ask where you'll be playing next or in the future? it might be a good idea to make a list of where you'll be performing and mention that you have a list of coming events on the front of the stage if anybody is interested. that way, people will pick it up and you'll see them when you play other gigs.
      Location: SW, Florida

      63 GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM WHITE SG
      1 USA MOSRITE 65 MARK 1 SUNBURST
      1 FILLMORE MOSRITE CLASSIC BLACK
      1HALLMARK CUSTOM 60 MOSRITE (white pearl)
      LOTS OF TELE'S, STRAT'S, & GRETSCHES
      1 FENDER JAZZMASTER 96 SUNBURST
      LOTS OF TAKAMINES
      66' PRINCETON REVERB
      82' SUPER CHAMP

      my NEW!!! youtube video page

      Comment


      • #4






        Quote Originally Posted by leftyjay
        View Post

        do you have anybody ask where you'll be playing next or in the future? it might be a good idea to make a list of where you'll be performing and mention that you have a list of coming events on the front of the stage if anybody is interested. that way, people will pick it up and you'll see them when you play other gigs.




        Yep! They don't even have to be anything beautiful- just name/website and dates. Good call Jay.
        Just Darrell Web Site

        Comment


        • #5
          just remember to mention it each set. people may not talk to me at all, but they pick up a list of my gigs. pretty soon you start seeing them at different gigs. each month i make about 100 pages. usually they are all gone in a week or two (7-10 gigs). then you start remembering the songs those people like to dance to or ask for. then they become groupies
          Location: SW, Florida

          63 GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM WHITE SG
          1 USA MOSRITE 65 MARK 1 SUNBURST
          1 FILLMORE MOSRITE CLASSIC BLACK
          1HALLMARK CUSTOM 60 MOSRITE (white pearl)
          LOTS OF TELE'S, STRAT'S, & GRETSCHES
          1 FENDER JAZZMASTER 96 SUNBURST
          LOTS OF TAKAMINES
          66' PRINCETON REVERB
          82' SUPER CHAMP

          my NEW!!! youtube video page

          Comment


          • #6
            fwiw: I find college aged people very clique oriented..so its all about them and unless theyve been told that COLDPLAY is best band on the planet they dont let much in. Sorry to say that, but thats what Ive seen. Still, there are a few good people in all that and giving them a gig list a is great idea. And thank them for coming out.

            GtrGeorge

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge!
              View Post

              fwiw: I find college aged people very clique oriented..so its all about them and unless theyve been told that COLDPLAY is best band on the planet they dont let much in. Sorry to say that, but thats what Ive seen. Still, there are a few good people in all that and giving them a gig list a is great idea. And thank them for coming out.

              GtrGeorge




              George, you've got it part way right. When I played for college kids, they were very clique oriented, but I passed myself off as something avant-garde by doing whatever the **************** I wanted to. Luckily it worked! I did a lot of Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon, weird old story-song country, old rock, and they ate it up. Act like it's cool and it will be! ( Plus I listened to what they wanted and learned a lot of their requests. )

              The other great thing about college kids is that they're all getting married in the next few years! Hand out those cards!

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by leftyjay
                View Post

                do you have anybody ask where you'll be playing next or in the future? it might be a good idea to make a list of where you'll be performing and mention that you have a list of coming events on the front of the stage if anybody is interested. that way, people will pick it up and you'll see them when you play other gigs.




                I inquired about doing this in the BWTB forum and got absolutely lambasted over the suggestion. They really raked me over the coals about what a bad idea this was because it would piss off the venue you are playing at to advertise that you are playing elsewhere. My rear end is still sore over the pounding I got about this idea.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Start building an email list of fans or get them to friend you on facebook. One way is to have a giveaway that requires entry cards with name, email, phone, address, whatever method you want to use to send your future gig notice. You'll need a prize good enough to get entries. Or, if you want to keep your list down to true fans, you can invite people to just fill out a card to receive emails.



                  Facebook has worked for me because you can create an event and send it out to any or all of your friends.
                  Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I do website, a monthly email, have cards ready with a link to an online calandar, *****Talk to everyone that seems like they want conversation****.



                    What I also do is make a point of going to anyplace I play regularly and spend a litlle $$$ and tip real well. Having a drink with the locals every now and then and establishing relationships with people is more important than anything for my types of gigs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      how about business cards on each table or beer mats? you could write the band name, facebook, website and a list of what events you're able to cater for? then its just a matter of handing them out or placing them on the tables.
                      Improve your guitar playing for as little as 99cents - www.ashleyjsaunders.com** 6 New books for 2013!! **

                      Comment



                      Working...
                      X