OT: Dammit, I slept through the End of the World...

Terry Allan Hall

• Moderators

at midnight I changed the channel to the BBC World news...and they were not available eek.gif [stupid TWC]

So, apparently the Mayans were misunderstood regarding their end of the 26000 year cycle...not that I expected a sudden abrupt end at midnite GMT or anything, but after all the folderol and ballyhoo about endtimes, armageddon, apocalyse, pole shifts, solar mass ejections, asteroids and mass extinction, I was kind of disappointed that nothing at all happened. Perhaps altruism will increase this holiday season...but I doubt it.

• Members

Of course, the Mayans never predicted the end of the world. The calender has gone back to the beginning before, and will do so again, whether humans are here to witness that or not. It's akin to our century, and the world didn't end 12 years ago either (although many people actually prepared for that). For musicians who read music, there is a D.C. (dal Capo) at the end of the calendar with no al Coda.

I don't understand the sky is falling thing myself. I've seen quite a few dozens of these things come and go, the rapture predictions, the turning of 2000, and so on.

What is interesting to me is the fascination humans have with doomsday. There is a whole Christian sect that wants Israel to start a nuclear war because they believe the rapture will start then and they will go to heaven.

So who started this bogus Mayan prediction anyway? And why do so many people believe it? These are the questions I'd like answered.

I'm rather agnostic - in the true of the word - I really don't know for sure if there is an afterlife or not. I hope the religious leaders of different faiths are correct and I can go to heaven, or get reincarnated, but this life is the proverbial bird in the hand, and I'm hanging on to this for all it's worth. I'm going to live as long as I can and enjoy it as much as I can, --- plus I'll try to live the righteous life so if there is that happy hunting ground, I'll go to the good place, not the bad one.

Notes

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Notes_Norton

View Post

Don't you know the Catholic Church nuked Limbo years ago? (the semi-heaven place, not the 'dance'). So were did all the unbaptized souls go? That wasn't reported in my newspaper.

They're working as greeters at Walmart.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Notes_Norton View Post
I'm rather agnostic - in the true of the word - I really don't know for sure if there is an afterlife or not. I hope the religious leaders of different faiths are correct and I can go to heaven, or get reincarnated, but this life is the proverbial bird in the hand, and I'm hanging on to this for all it's worth. I'm going to live as long as I can and enjoy it as much as I can, --- plus I'll try to live the righteous life so if there is that happy hunting ground, I'll go to the good place, not the bad one.

Notes
^ This...

• Moderators
Of course, the Mayans never predicted the end of the world. The calender has gone back to the beginning before, and will do so again, whether humans are here to witness that or not.
So who started this bogus Mayan prediction anyway? And why do so many people believe it? These are the questions I'd like answered.

Notes
The media needs to create these non-events on a regular basis to feed the fringe elements of society (the rosicrucians, doomsday preppers, evangelical loonies, etc.) so they stay on the frnge. The rest of us just have a field day making fun of it. I won't tell you how many 'End of the World' parties we were invited to on Friday and how many "We Didn't Get Blown to Smithereens/Sucked into a Black Hole/Invaded by Hostile Aliens' on Saturday. Welcome to the 13th baktun. Same as the 12th baktun, as far as humans are concerned. Retrospecively, one can translate prophecies any way one cares to...Mayans, Druids, Egyptians, Maori, Greeks, Nostradamus, Cayce...the media knows the truth: Tell the lie enough times and people start believing it. UFOs anybody? wink.gif

• Members
I'm rather agnostic - in the true of the word - I really don't know for sure if there is an afterlife or not. I hope the religious leaders of different faiths are correct and I can go to heaven, or get reincarnated, but this life is the proverbial bird in the hand, and I'm hanging on to this for all it's worth. I'm going to live as long as I can and enjoy it as much as I can, --- plus I'll try to live the righteous life so if there is that happy hunting ground, I'll go to the good place, not the bad one...
Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
Kin Hubbard (1868 - 1930)

Archived