X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do requests REALLY mean?

1) I want to hear that song played like the original.

2) I want to hear that song the way you do it.

3) I want to hear something by that artist.

4) I want to hear something in that general vein.

5) I want you to know that I'm paying attention.

6) I want to control the agenda, if only a little bit.

7) I want others to notice me.

8) I want to start a conversation and get to know you.

9) I want to bear your children and this seems like a good first step.
    Hi Mom!

6 and 7 if they are drunk usually.

almost never 2 if its a run of the mill "Brown eyed girl" type cover.

Comment

At country club gigs it means "I want to exercise my power to command you to do something."

I freaking hate country club gigs. I feel like the piss boy.
      This space intentionally left blank

Comment

You forgot "I want to use you to....(show off to my date, help celebrate some occasion, send a message to someone, make an 'inside joke,' etc.)."

Louis
        https://soundcloud.com/lschwart/sets/best-tracks

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/My...06839039360158

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-Materna...8782889&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Comp...+paradise+lost

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpicker
          View Post

almost never 2 if its a run of the mill "Brown eyed girl" type cover.

My currently-forming trio does BEG really really slow and wistful. I like it a lot that way. We'll see how it flies when someone requests it. Doing it "just like Van"
          Hi Mom!

Comment

To me it means...you just gave e a chance to engage you and the audience and to make the gig more interactive for everyone...oh and a nice $20 with that request will prevent banter from me to you! Grown man asking for Brown eyed Girl...

Rod
            www.tablefor2.net

Comment

I've had them mean 1-9. (except maybe not 2)

Comment

It means they are a control freak.
                www.smoothduo.co.uk

Comment

It, to me, means they're paying attention.

As a general rule, it's some combination of #2 and 3.

Last time a #8 situation came up, I found myself married to my lovely wife several moinths later.
                  God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

10) I don't like your song selections, mine are way better, because I am far more imaginative than you...(the egocentrist)

11) you suck, here's a song I know you don't know...now be embarrassed (the buzzkill)

12) here's a song you wouldn't dare play here (the I-triple-dog-dare-you @$$#013)
                    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack
                      View Post

10) I don't like your song selections, mine are way better, because I am far more imaginative than you...(the egocentrist)

11) you suck, here's a song I know you don't know...now be embarrassed (the buzzkill)

12) here's a song you wouldn't dare play here (the I-triple-dog-dare-you @$$#013)

I've had 11 and 12 a few times. Recently, someone tried to "stump" me with Autumn Leaves, which is weird considering that it's one of the first songs called out when jazz players get together and jam.

I've also had dares to do stuff like ABBA or Olivia Newton-John, so I go ahead and do it with a smile like I get those requests all the time.
                      Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. - Martin Mull

Comment

no request is taken seriously unless it is accompanied by a 20 dollar bill, then it doesn't matter what their motive was in requesting it.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by EightString
                          View Post

I've had 11 and 12 a few times. Recently, someone tried to "stump" me with Autumn Leaves, which is weird considering that it's one of the first songs called out when jazz players get together and jam.

I've also had dares to do stuff like ABBA or Olivia Newton-John, so I go ahead and do it with a smile like I get those requests all the time.

perhaps this is a L.A. phenomena?

We have had people request us to do, say, a Gershwin tune (easy! Summertime...), etc. as if we are there for them to try to feel superior to...sorry, we are here to entertain you....
                          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

"I want to hear you do songs that no one ever liked much."

Comment

I was doing a duo gig with a concert violin guy and someone asked for some obscure classical thang. The guy knew it and ripped it out-it was a monsterous thing. Amazing that the guy had it under his fingers considering how hard it was to play. I usually don't do requests because the style I do nobody knows what to request and I don't know the tune most likely anyway. In this case I don't know what the motivation for the request was, but

I'm pretty sure the guy was trying to show off his knowledge of classical music. It was pretty sweet that the violin dude just pulled it out of his hat. We owned that gig even before that, but after that, fergetaboutit.

Comment

Working...
                              X