Singing along

deepflight

• Members

One of the things I like to do when performing is to try to get the audience to sing along with me.  So I found this article pretty interesting: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/sing-along-songs/

(If you are interested in that sort of thing, here's the actual paper the researchers wrote: http://www.doc.gold.ac.uk/~mas03dm/papers/PawleyMullensiefen_Singalong_2012.pdf)

Some of what they say seems pretty obvious to me, like the observation that people are more likely to sing along on high energy songs.  Do any of you have suggestions on things that make a good sing along, or things that you do to encourage people to sing along?  One thing I will do if the situation is appropriate is to outright tell the audience that I want them to sing along.  

• Members

deepflight wrote:

One of the things I like to do when performing is to try to get the audience to sing along with me.  So I found this article pretty interesting:

(If you are interested in that sort of thing, here's the actual paper the researchers wrote:

Some of what they say seems pretty obvious to me, like the observation that people are more likely to sing along on high energy songs.  Do any of you have suggestions on things that make a good sing along, or things that you do to encourage people to sing along?  One thing I will do if the situation is appropriate is to outright tell the audience that I want them to sing along.  

I absolutely agree with that approach, in fact, I always bring a mixer that has enough channels, and spare mics, to do specifically that. It's a great way to break the ice.

For me, it's fairly easy to create an opportunity by singing a song with a very familiar chorus. You'll usually spot somebofy in the crowd, mouthing the lyrics in synch with you. That's when I look them squarely in the eyes, as if it's just me and them in the room, and let 'er rip. They'll usually sing their hearts out, and the next thing you know, their friends are joining in. It's always great fun, and at the scheduled end of the night, they just want to keep going. I love those gigs.

• Members

good thread There are always things like : ~they know (and sing) the FIRST verse to "shook me all night long" but not the second one ~ they sing the double turnaround to "Summer of 69" after the 1st chorus (instead of the 2nd)... just play along and milk it. ~ the concept as a whole is bigger than just "singing along". People want to be reactive and interactive. ask them a question - they answer say something funny - they laugh mention the local football (or sports) team that won - they cheer sing something easy that they know (and like or are "supposed to like")- they sing along yadayadayada

• Members

WRIITEN IN RICH TEXT THIS TIME man I hate the new code for the site~ it's supposed to look like this :

good thread

There are always things like :

~they know (and sing) the FIRST verse to "shook me all night long" but not the second one

~ they sing the double turnaround to "Summer of 69" after the 1st chorus (instead of the 2nd)... just play along and milk it.

~ the concept as a whole is bigger than just "singing along".People want to be reactive and interactive.

ask them a question- they answer say

something funny - they laugh

mention the local football (or sports) team that won - they cheer

sing something easy that they know (and like or are "supposed to like")- they sing along

yadayadayada

• Members

id love to see you guys setlists .! what are the ten best singling tunes for example?

on another note. i sing in a relatively high key. often just one or two down from originals.. i firstly d i get the best vocal sound that way... but i think that causes problems for sing along maybe. i was playing in a house party with friends recently and they couldn't sing along so i had to drop they three or four semi tones and then they did... but i would hate to do that for gigs cos then my voice won't sound too good thru the pa...

• Members

doezer wrote:

i was playing in a house party with friends recently and they couldn't sing along so i had to drop they three or four semi tones and then they did... but i would hate to do that for gigs cos then my voice won't sound too good thru the pa...

Sometimes it ain't about you - eh? smile.gif

Archived