My new album

pogo97

• Members

I cobbled together an album (non-media-specific for CD/LP/8-track/cassette) about a year ago but never took it beyond prototype because, in part, it was a bit short (10 songs, 30 minutes). This year I added another eight songs, re-recorded a couple, remixed and mastered all and it's almost an hour long. Good value per song, I suppose.

In the process, the name and cover art have changed and it's a bit broader stylistically. I've called the album "Gananoque" because that's where I live and that's where the songs, explicitly or not, are placed. It may also encourage local merchants to carry it for tourists (we'll see about that!).

Here's the web page and here's the prototype package (CD jewel case):

CD%20-%20front%20cover.jpg

CD%20-%20%20back%20cover.jpg

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. If I get, say, 100 copies pressed, where should I sell it? And do any of you have experience with iTunes? Worth the trouble?

• Moderators

Where is not as difficult as to whom. Just putting a CD out with zero promotion is generally not going to garner sales.
I suggest you peruse the MusBiz forum sticky about releasing an album... wave.gif
Sadly, CDs are fading fast as a media, and most bands use them for 'at show sales'.

• Members

Checked out Kunaki. Seems pretty good and it gets a lot of support elsewhere.

daddymack, I need some CDs for marketing to radio and festivals and the like. And to promote my songs. And it's got to look and sound good. But I don't want to lose money doing it, so selling a few would be nice. Locally, there's no market among the locals. Too few, don't give a {censored}. But we're a tourist town--tens or hundreds of thousands of visitors every summer--and I'm thinking that a CD called "Gananoque" with a nice cover of the Gananoque waterfront might make a desirable souvenir for some folks. If so, then that's a few bucks toward my costs. And when people take souvenirs away, who knows where they'll wind up. Who knows... Someone might actually listen to one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97

View Post

and I'm thinking that a CD called "Gananoque" with a nice cover of the Gananoque waterfront might make a desirable souvenir for some folks. If so, then that's a few bucks toward my costs.

AWESOME thinking!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by pogo97 View Post
Checked out Kunaki. Seems pretty good and it gets a lot of support elsewhere.

daddymack, I need some CDs for marketing to radio and festivals and the like. And to promote my songs. And it's got to look and sound good. But I don't want to lose money doing it, so selling a few would be nice. Locally, there's no market among the locals. Too few, don't give a {censored}. But we're a tourist town--tens or hundreds of thousands of visitors every summer--and I'm thinking that a CD called "Gananoque" with a nice cover of the Gananoque waterfront might make a desirable souvenir for some folks. If so, then that's a few bucks toward my costs. And when people take souvenirs away, who knows where they'll wind up. Who knows... Someone might actually listen to one.
This is a brilliant idea. I know my dad doesn't own multiple Native American flute tapes because he's a big fan of Native American flutes. If you think you could sell a lot of them, Nationwide Disc is a pretty good value for bulk orders. The less you want, the more likely Kunaki is to be your best bet.

Archived