Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12s on all the acoustics; J16 D'Addario J16 Phosphor Bronze on the wooden bodies and Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 on the Rainsong. 11s on the electrics; D'Addario Pure Nickel sets. I have been using these same gauges for years and like stated earlier, you get used to bending etc.. Heavier gauge strings are totally worth using for those great ringing tones, especially on a semi acoustic electric like the Gibson ES335.

Comment

13/56 on my Dobro (which has a somewhat short scale)

12/52 on my Dot (335-type)

it's about the sound, really

I set the action very low and don't bend much.
      Hi Mom!

Comment

11s or 10s on acoustic (Martin or Elixir), 10s or 9s on electric (D'addarrio).

I will typically jump between both, so I like the consistency of string gauges that are close.

With compression and EQ, I've never had an issue getting a good tone. Thicker strings make that easier, but my fingers cry when I play a guitar with 13s.
        If you don't sing, don't expect to call the shots....
        ---Tele-vania65000
        Life is too short to waste it on douchebags...
        ---BlueStrat
        Sometimes I have this fear... that years from now, being able to play an instrument live will be looked at the same way we look at juggling now... as in "Well, I can see where that is difficult to do, but who cares?
        ---RichardMac
        As a youngster, I was told that money was all that mattered.
        And I didn't believe it.
        ---Rasputin1963

Comment

13s

electric 10

12 string as heavy as possible, can't remember which gauge....

Comment

GHS Groundwound Light top/heavy bottoms 10 to 52. Sometimes I swap the .010 for a .011. And 11's in flatwound.

No true acoustic's--just a Lace Acela acoustic/electric. 'lectric's are Univox Coily, a Univox Hi-Flyer, and a Synapse. All tuned 1/2 step low.

Comment

Martin 80/20's .013-.056

Anything lighter just doesn't feel right to me.
              Guitars = Chick Magnet
              Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet
              You do the math.

HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.
              Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins

Comment

Yeah I have to go back to 12's. It was a good run
                Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Tried a .013 - .056 set once and by the end of the gig, my fretting hand was in AGONY...funny how such a slight increase can make such a big difference!

.012 - .053 (or, occasionally, .054, depending on what brand I'm using) ever since!
                  God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

13's on acoustic

10's on electric for as long as I can remember
                    Phil SaidIf you possess the superior intellect, then it should be no problem for you to point out the logical fallacies and other problems of their position or post without having to debase yourself by resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Comment

I play nylon string guitars, even those hurt the fingers after 3 solid hours of playing back to back songs.

Comment

I use my own gauge recipe of 12, 15, 19, 30, 38 (or 39) and 49 on my electrics. The same or even lighter on my acoustic. Way back when I was playing six nights a week I used 11's or 10's on my two Strats. Had to change strings on both guitars every three days because of wear and impending breakage, but I could justify the expense. Nowadays, switching to 12's means I reaely break strings, they sound a little fuller, and last much longer before the break point - YMMV.

I don't like to struggle on my electrics or my acoustics, so fairly low action is a must for me.

Comment

On electric, I find the big issue is wound third or plain third. Plain third is easier to bend; wound third sounds (a lot) better. My current set has a wound third. Sometimes people lend me guitars with light strings. I get my string-bending fix then.
                          Hi Mom!

Comment

Yep, only use 13s here! And 11/12s for electric. I got big strong hands and shatter through strings if I dont use big ones
                            JAM Guitar Lessons. The Long Johns.

Comment

I
                              Brianhttp://www.youtube.com/mchalebk

Comment

Working...
                              X