is there a windows app that scrolls lyrics and plays backing tracks?

doezer

• Members

Hi

im thinking of springing for an iPad. so i can use either the Songbook or the OnSong apps. (any preference on those two apps by the way folks??)

but another alternative is to stay with my 10" notebook laptop if i can find me a PC based application which does same thing.
what i am after here is scrolling lyrics, triggering backtracks and queing up playlists

oh and happy new year to you all!!
D

• Members

I couldn't find one other than a ridiculously expensive one when I was looking-- that's how I ended up with an IPad. After having my IPad for awhile, I have to agree with most that they are overpriced. I'd find a simple, inexpensive tablet if I were you. My brother works for a company that runs this website and you can grab a tablet for about $100.

I would email Onsong or Songbook prior to buying one of these just to make sure the platforms are compatible.

http://www.cheetahdeals.com/Tablets-E-readers-s/655.htm

• Members

thanks. will check em. although not sure if they sell to europe and if so is there a customs issue...
i have a 2nd hand iPad1 i can get for 200euro here its a lot but what the hell. my folder fell off the music stand last friday at a gig - pages went everywhere. looked really professional wink.gif.. so i need to go for it..

thanks potts

Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
I couldn't find one other than a ridiculously expensive one when I was looking-- that's how I ended up with an IPad. After having my IPad for awhile, I have to agree with most that they are overpriced. I'd find a simple, inexpensive tablet if I were you. My brother works for a company that runs this website and you can grab a tablet for about $100.

I would email Onsong or Songbook prior to buying one of these just to make sure the platforms are compatible.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by doezer View Post
Hi

im thinking of springing for an iPad. so i can use either the Songbook or the OnSong apps. (any preference on those two apps by the way folks??)

but another alternative is to stay with my 10" notebook laptop if i can find me a PC based application which does same thing.
what i am after here is scrolling lyrics, triggering backtracks and queing up playlists

oh and happy new year to you all!!
D

I've been experimenting with several Android apps on a Nexus 7, with varying results. First, there are two that offer companion Windows versions: Songbook, and MobilSheets.

The former is aimed at Chordpro/text input. Songbook (developer in Berlin, GE) has versions for iPhone/iPad, Mac, Windows, Android, Palm, some others... Songbook does scroll, and it seems to offer a decent set list feature; I haven't paid attention to whether it plays tracks. So far, my (limited) opinion is that it's OK, although I've also observed a couple oddities that I've queries the developer about...

MobilSheets is focused on image/PDF input (scores) and the developer (so far) says he doesn't intend to develop for IOs, given existence of forScore. He also says he intends to incorporate Chordpro/text compatibility. It currently "scrolls" half-pages at a time, and turns pages... although the website suggests using a bluetooth pedal page turner also implement continuous automated scrolling. The dev also says he intends to incorporate continuous automated scrolling anyway, so presumably without needing the pedal. Good set list features, good metadata store. As above, I don't know about tracks. My opinion (so far) is that this one is already pretty good for folks who use full scores, or for those who have (or can create) charts in PDF format. (For me, editing in Word, and saving as PDF is much more visual than editing in Chordpro/text... and I'm picky about placement of chords, relative to lyrics.) OTOH, until this one can do continuous scrolling automated scrolling, the user is best off with a 10" or even larger screen (e.g., Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy 10.1, etc.) depending on eyeball-to-screen distance. The 7" works OK for me at guitar distance; it's pushing it at drum-rack distance.

(I'll add as an aside: we built the pianist a 6-sheet -- almost 7-sheet -- wiiiiide music "desk" that mounts using bits and pieces from the upper-tier connectors on her keyboard rack. Our early impression is that we could maybe eliminate all that, plus the several pounds of 3-ring binders, with MobilSheets and a 10" tablet, even with only the 1/2-page scrolling/page turning features. The idea of needing yet another pedal hasn't rung any chimes, given she's already busy using keyboard pedals while playing.)

I've not downloaded/installed/tried either of the companion Windows versions.

The other two I've been looking at in more depth are Lyric Pad and The Chordinator. Both are designed for Chordpro/text input. Both have some strong points, but the set list feature -- which is one thing I was after in the first place, is disabled in the free trial versions... so can't comment completely yet. They both do scroll, and I don't know about tracks.

I've also looked briefly at GuitarTapp, but set lists isn't enabled in the trial version, nor does the trial version allow loading my own chart to evaluate.

Songbook, Lyric Pad, The Chordinator, and GuitarTapp all support internet searches for tabs/chords; since our pianist plays from full scores, I've been able to compare on-line tabs to the real deal... and most of the on-line tabs I've seen are underwhelming. (And I'm picky about chord placement.)

I did much of my initial "market survey" by finding the apps in the Google Play store, then looking at "what others installed" and also at each developers website.

My verdict is still out.

-D44

• Members

Taking Potts advice, I bought an ipad in the summer and the Onsong app. I did look into a windows tablet but Onsong isn't available on anything but the Apple platform. Having said that, it has worked out remarkably well, the tablet sits neatly on my mike stand (I posted a pic of me at a Christmas gig a few days ago and you can see that it is hardly noticeable). The Onsong app is amazing with so many useful features ie different customized views including night/day, transposing, importing, triggering BTs, organising set lists, tagging favourites and much more. It is a simple swipe to get from song to song and a single push to scroll and if a track is associated start it up. All in all I couldn't be happier. Now the BUT! At the same time as I bought my ipad my wife got a Nexus Google Tablet, which is far superior in every way to the ipad, of course with the exception of it can't play Onsong.
For a gigging musician can't imagine not having one even if not using BTs. I also have a set of songs that are on my to learn list, it's just so handy. I am now toying with getting a foot pedal, but it really is almost seamless to simply swipe and touch.
Cheers Steve

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by steve mac View Post
The Onsong app is amazing with so many useful features ie different customized views including night/day, transposing, importing, triggering BTs, organising set lists, tagging favourites and much more. It is a simple swipe to get from song to song and a single push to scroll and if a track is associated start it up.
I guess I glossed over all that, but near as I can tell (excepting not having paid any attention to tracks), all those are common features for the Android apps I've looked at, too. Transposing seems only available in those that depend on Chordpro/text format as input.

Not a recommendation, just an observation... and slightly limited, because we only have an Android tablet.

There's an app out there from Musicnotes, which (I'm guessing) may use Sibelius Scorch, and if so, may do transpositions direct from the score... but I haven't looked at that in Windows recently, and haven't actually looked at that for the tablet at all.

-Chris

• Members

I have been using Lyric Pad since it's release, on a original Motorola Xoom with a 10.1 inch screen for over 3 years now and will not change it for the world!

Quick features:
Scrolling lyrics, automatic, or user defined globally or per song, with the ability to dictate pauses for interludes!
Lyric format is simple text so I imported every lyric I already had in my PC (on-line database also available for on the fly searches)
Ability to make notes on the lyrics like chord changes, etc
You can swap backgorund and letter colors for indoor or outdoor viewing.
Alpha listing and can create set lists y simply taping on the title and saving.
Stable, never in 3 years has left me down
Updated frequently by the developer that does that input from users!

Rod

• Members

Not as overpriced as page turners. One thing to note- don't skimp too much on screen resolution. The original iPad's is just fine, and I'm sure most Android tablets as well. But I've used less fine screens that really don't display text as well.

• Members
LOL..I'll blatantly troll. I still HATE Onsong.
Me too. Ya know, if a UI won't let me access basic functions without referring to help files or you-tube, I just move on because one of us (usually me) is dumb cry.gif
Been that way with every drum machine, sequencer and guitar doodad I ever bought. (this is why I have not owned much Roland gear but that is another subject).

Onsong was just too much work to figure out and when I did, I realized I had to migrate all of my embedded lyrics through textedit and add them back manually into the app. NO thanks.

If you go iPad, I strongly suggest you look at Stage Traxx for all of the functionality described in the OP. It's not perfect (yet) but it is the best I've found thus far and pretty dead simple to use.

Backtrax is also very solid but no scrolling...

• Members

I don't see a need to scroll lyrics on a laptop screen. Maybe a few songs that have a ton of words, but most are readable being viewed all at once. I use different colored text for choruses and any other sections to make it easier.

Example attached

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey View Post
I don't see a need to scroll lyrics on a laptop screen. Maybe a few songs that have a ton of words, but most are readable being viewed all at once. I use different colored text for choruses and any other sections to make it easier.

Example attached
I stayed away from colors when I used a laptop. I was always afraid of the reds or blues being washed away with lights. My method was to either bold or italicize when needed. I'm assuming that doesn't happen though Bob?

• Members

thanks to all....

i emailed songbook about playback using windows. havent heard from them yet. but from the blurb on their site it looks like the windows version does not have the "link to audio" option... i also downloaded it and cant find that option.

so i think im jumping for an iPad 1 later today... and will get Songbook and take it from there.. thanks all.

@ Bob Dey
man I would LOVE to hear your version of Devil went down to Georgia. great song but to cover Id say its a b*tch!!

do you do it all with just one guitar...?

d

Doezer...

I forgot that Songbook had their Windows version available. I remember there was an issue with mp3 playback though. It wouldn't hurt to take a peak.

Songbook for Windows

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey View Post

Example attached

I would tend to generally agree with this if using a 10" tablet, too, Bob... assuming there's room for chords in a user's chart, either imbedded into or above the lyrics (if wanted; I see your example doesn't include chords and so forth)... and depending on viewing distance.

It varies from app to app, but the usable display size on this particular 7" tablet is approx 3-3/4" by 5-1/2" (MobilSheets with a JPG), 3-5/8" by 4-7/8" (MobilSheets with a PDF file), 3-3/4" by 5-3/8" deep (Songbook with a text file). It's possible to replicate what a given song would look like by reducing the image on a laptop/desktop to those physical dimensions...

And then zooming (and/or managing input type size) and/or scrolling can help or hinder from there.

-D44

• Members
I stayed away from colors when I used a laptop. I was always afraid of the reds or blues being washed away with lights. My method was to either bold or italicize when needed. I'm assuming that doesn't happen though Bob?
I don't use much lighting. Hasn't been a problem so far.

Quote Originally Posted by doezer View Post
thanks to all....

i emailed songbook about playback using windows. havent heard from them yet. but from the blurb on their site it looks like the windows version does not have the "link to audio" option... i also downloaded it and cant find that option.

so i think im jumping for an iPad 1 later today... and will get Songbook and take it from there.. thanks all.

@ Bob Dey
man I would LOVE to hear your version of Devil went down to Georgia. great song but to cover Id say its a b*tch!!

do you do it all with just one guitar...?

d
I use a backing track that I made from scratch, play all the fiddle parts on the guitar, but don't do the song hardly ever. That's why I have to review (practice) it every once in a while. My biggest problem is spitting out the words at that pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer44 View Post
I would tend to generally agree with this if using a 10" tablet, too, Bob... assuming there's room for chords in a user's chart, either imbedded into or above the lyrics (if wanted; I see your example doesn't include chords and so forth)... and depending on viewing distance.
There's only one song that I've added chord symbols to. If their aren't too many lyrics it's very doable.

• Members

Some additional observations on various apps:

Looks like Lyric Pad (at least the trial version) doesn't recognize filenames with the .pro extension, although simply changing the filename extension to .txt makes the file visible/useable. Also looks like Lyric Pad (trial) doesn't do transpositions. Lyric Pad's interpretation of chord names leaves them in the same position as in the input... so if chords are above lyrics on the input , they display that way... and if they're imbedded within lyrics, they display that way. My first guess is that if you've got a boatload of charts already, with chords above the lyrics, Lyric Pad is a relatively quick way to avoid a boatload of editing.

The Chordinator does do transposition, does understand .pro filename extensions.

Songbook takes chords in square brackets and imbedded within the lyric lines, and displays those chords above the lyric lines. Chords in square brackets and already above the lyric lines... display two lines above the lyric lines. IOW, the app inerts a blank line in between chord line and lyric line (if that's a clear description). If you have a boatload of charts with imbedded lyrics, Songbook seems to be reasonably painless.

In all cases, if scrolling is intended, it looks like you need to repeat (type) choruses, repeated versus, repeated bridges, etc. within the file. Otherwise, the chorus (for example) scrolls off the screen, and won't become visible again without swiping. (MobilSheets deals with this slightly differently, using a "link point" paradigm. I haven't putzed with it yet, but it's apparently a way to return to a chorus or earlier verse, etc. within an image (e.g., JPG) or PDF file. Especially useful if working from a JPG of the score, where it's common to use repeats marks ||: and :|| to go back to a section again (as with multiple lyric verses attached to a specific part of the score).

For transpositions... Songbook will work two ways. Assume the song file is in its original key. Transpose on the fly works, exit without saving means the next time you open the file, it's still in the original key. Exit with saving does two things: changes the key signature in the visible filename, and saves the new chords. The Chordinator (trial) always automatically saves in the last key used. (Either suggests it would perhaps be useful to include a comment within the file about the original key, if that's useful info.)

-D44 (still in evaluation mode)

• Members

Good stuff D44!

I don't use the chordpro features (for the most part) in Songbook. I still do all my prep-work on my PC and then send everything to Dropbox. After a few months of trial and error, and now that I'm done inputting all my songs, everything I do moving forward is pretty easy. If I have a lengthy song that I'll need to scroll, I'll blow everything up as much as I want and then time them.

My wishlist for songbook is pretty simple. I'd like to see the title of the "next" song in my playlist on the same screen as the current song. I'd also like the scrolling to start when the backing track starts. That's about it though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nousername

View Post

About these apps. Are you guys creating the files that the apps use, or something else?

I usually import them from Ultimate Guitar the way I would on a computer with the built in browser in songbook, and tweak as necessary.

Archived