Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a windows app that scrolls lyrics and plays backing tracks?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
    View Post

I use Songbook and like it. But does anyone know of a similar iPad app that scrolls to MIDI clock?

I love Songbook. Although this latest update has a couple of issues.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.justdarrell.com" target="_blank">Just Darrell Web Site</a></div>

Comment

Doezer...

I forgot that Songbook had their Windows version available. I remember there was an issue with mp3 playback though. It wouldn't hurt to take a peak.

Songbook for Windows
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.justdarrell.com" target="_blank">Just Darrell Web Site</a></div>

Comment

thanks to all....

i emailed songbook about playback using windows. havent heard from them yet. but from the blurb on their site it looks like the windows version does not have the "link to audio" option... i also downloaded it and cant find that option.

so i think im jumping for an iPad 1 later today... and will get Songbook and take it from there.. thanks all.

@ Bob Dey

man I would LOVE to hear your version of Devil went down to Georgia. great song but to cover Id say its a b*tch!!

do you do it all with just one guitar...?

d

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
        View Post

Doezer...

I forgot that Songbook had their Windows version available. I remember there was an issue with mp3 playback though. It wouldn't hurt to take a peak.

Songbook for Windows

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey
          View Post

I don't see a need to scroll lyrics on a laptop screen. Maybe a few songs that have a ton of words, but most are readable being viewed all at once. I use different colored text for choruses and any other sections to make it easier.

Example attached

I would tend to generally agree with this if using a 10" tablet, too, Bob... assuming there's room for chords in a user's chart, either imbedded into or above the lyrics (if wanted; I see your example doesn't include chords and so forth)... and depending on viewing distance.

It varies from app to app, but the usable display size on this particular 7" tablet is approx 3-3/4" by 5-1/2" (MobilSheets with a JPG), 3-5/8" by 4-7/8" (MobilSheets with a PDF file), 3-3/4" by 5-3/8" deep (Songbook with a text file). It's possible to replicate what a given song would look like by reducing the image on a laptop/desktop to those physical dimensions...

And then zooming (and/or managing input type size) and/or scrolling can help or hinder from there.

-D44
          ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
          - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
          - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
          - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
          Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

View Post

I stayed away from colors when I used a laptop. I was always afraid of the reds or blues being washed away with lights. My method was to either bold or italicize when needed. I'm assuming that doesn't happen though Bob?

I don't use much lighting. Hasn't been a problem so far.

Quote Originally Posted by doezer
            View Post

thanks to all....

i emailed songbook about playback using windows. havent heard from them yet. but from the blurb on their site it looks like the windows version does not have the "link to audio" option... i also downloaded it and cant find that option.

so i think im jumping for an iPad 1 later today... and will get Songbook and take it from there.. thanks all.

@ Bob Dey

man I would LOVE to hear your version of Devil went down to Georgia. great song but to cover Id say its a b*tch!!

do you do it all with just one guitar...?

d

I use a backing track that I made from scratch, play all the fiddle parts on the guitar, but don't do the song hardly ever. That's why I have to review (practice) it every once in a while. My biggest problem is spitting out the words at that pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer44
            View Post

I would tend to generally agree with this if using a 10" tablet, too, Bob... assuming there's room for chords in a user's chart, either imbedded into or above the lyrics (if wanted; I see your example doesn't include chords and so forth)... and depending on viewing distance.

There's only one song that I've added chord symbols to. If their aren't too many lyrics it's very doable.
            Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

Comment

Some additional observations on various apps:

Looks like Lyric Pad (at least the trial version) doesn't recognize filenames with the .pro extension, although simply changing the filename extension to .txt makes the file visible/useable. Also looks like Lyric Pad (trial) doesn't do transpositions. Lyric Pad's interpretation of chord names leaves them in the same position as in the input... so if chords are above lyrics on the input , they display that way... and if they're imbedded within lyrics, they display that way. My first guess is that if you've got a boatload of charts already, with chords above the lyrics, Lyric Pad is a relatively quick way to avoid a boatload of editing.

The Chordinator does do transposition, does understand .pro filename extensions.

Songbook takes chords in square brackets and imbedded within the lyric lines, and displays those chords above the lyric lines. Chords in square brackets and already above the lyric lines... display two lines above the lyric lines. IOW, the app inerts a blank line in between chord line and lyric line (if that's a clear description). If you have a boatload of charts with imbedded lyrics, Songbook seems to be reasonably painless.

In all cases, if scrolling is intended, it looks like you need to repeat (type) choruses, repeated versus, repeated bridges, etc. within the file. Otherwise, the chorus (for example) scrolls off the screen, and won't become visible again without swiping. (MobilSheets deals with this slightly differently, using a "link point" paradigm. I haven't putzed with it yet, but it's apparently a way to return to a chorus or earlier verse, etc. within an image (e.g., JPG) or PDF file. Especially useful if working from a JPG of the score, where it's common to use repeats marks ||: and :|| to go back to a section again (as with multiple lyric verses attached to a specific part of the score).

For transpositions... Songbook will work two ways. Assume the song file is in its original key. Transpose on the fly works, exit without saving means the next time you open the file, it's still in the original key. Exit with saving does two things: changes the key signature in the visible filename, and saves the new chords. The Chordinator (trial) always automatically saves in the last key used. (Either suggests it would perhaps be useful to include a comment within the file about the original key, if that's useful info.)

-D44 (still in evaluation mode)
              ************************************************** *********************************

Comment

Good stuff D44!

I don't use the chordpro features (for the most part) in Songbook. I still do all my prep-work on my PC and then send everything to Dropbox. After a few months of trial and error, and now that I'm done inputting all my songs, everything I do moving forward is pretty easy. If I have a lengthy song that I'll need to scroll, I'll blow everything up as much as I want and then time them.

My wishlist for songbook is pretty simple. I'd like to see the title of the "next" song in my playlist on the same screen as the current song. I'd also like the scrolling to start when the backing track starts. That's about it though.

Comment

About these apps. Are you guys creating the files that the apps use, or something else?
                  http://www.stlband.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/sweepthelegband
                  http://www.facebook.com/sweepthelegband

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nousername
                    View Post

About these apps. Are you guys creating the files that the apps use, or something else?

I usually import them from Ultimate Guitar the way I would on a computer with the built in browser in songbook, and tweak as necessary.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Free prog-related metal from Michigan.<br />
                    <br />
                    <a href="http://www.silentlapse.com" target="_blank">http://www.silentlapse.com</a></div>

Comment

View Post

I love Songbook. Although this latest update has a couple of issues.

Hey D

I only use it for lyrics and haven't run into any problems. What are you seeing?
                      Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nousername
                        View Post

Most of the chord/lyric sheets I've made for myself in the past -- for the fewer times I play guitar these days -- were already in Word, taken from our pianist's original scores. My app experiments have worked with basic conversions: Word to PDF, or Word to PDF to JPG, for MobilSheets. Word to plaintext for examination in Songbook, Lyric Pad, and Chordinator. Editing on a desktop or laptop machine, transfer to the tablet with a USB connection (piece o' cake).

Each of the plaintext-focused apps display files sllightly differently, though, so I wanted to spend some upfront time deciding which renders best for my purposes. The verdict is still out, although I did just spend about an hour tweaking a specific song... and it looks pretty good in Songbook, OK in Chordinator, not so good in Lyric Pad. That's not a critique in this case, just a recognition that the Lyric Pad control syntax is different from the Chordpro syntax that Songbook understands.

Commentary on tabs and chords sheets from the net: boatloads out there, mostly underwhelming. Compared to the sheet music, chords may or may not be as in the original (even allowing for transpositions). And it's not always obvious when arrangments have been layed out or modified to suit a specific musician/group/tabber/whatever... For example, I didn't find a tab on-line that exactly corresponds to the test song I've been using...

-D44

Comment

View Post

Good stuff D44!

My wishlist for songbook is pretty simple. I'd like to see the title of the "next" song in my playlist on the same screen as the current song. I'd also like the scrolling to start when the backing track starts. That's about it though.

Lyric Pad implements a nifty "sidebar" feature. Imagine a short list of (repetitive) verse chords always displayed on the upper right side of the page, even while the lyrics scrolls...

-D44

Comment

View Post

Hey D

I only use it for lyrics and haven't run into any problems. What are you seeing?

Can't speak for Potts, but I've been asked several times since download/installation over the last three days to "please license in Google Play" -- although I sorta kinda thought buying it through the Play store would have taken care of all that. I queried the developer about it...

I was beginning to think it might have to do with starting the app while not connected to WiFi, but I intentionally tested that this morning -- and didn't get the "please license..." message anyway. (Not working while not connected to the 'net would make it completely unusable for my purposes, though, so that's why I jumped on that right away.)

Otherwise (and not counting some nifty things I could imagine being built into future iterations...) I haven't discovered anything but operator error

-D44

Comment

The beauty of these apps is that they are so inexpensive you can download a few and see which you get on best with. Onsong for me was simply the best of the bunch and the simplest to use. That's not to say that as each of us have different needs others apps may be better for them.

As for scrolling, whilst I am learning a song (I have a set called learning) I have all the lyrics including the chorus and pre choruses plus chords plus notes (which you can add as a digital post it). However once learned and ready to gig, I remove all but one chorus and all the chords except from the first line. This enables me in 99% of the songs to fit the screen without scrolling and to be fair, if I know the song well enough to gig a quick glance at the first line is enough of a reminder to see me through. I mainly use it as an easily manageable set list and my notes such as where to place a capo, or which preset on my voicelive to use etc. I even put the odd one liner on the post it, which I may or may not use depending on how the show is going. Oh and of course starting the BTs if associated with the song which just takes one touch of the screen.

Cheers Steve
                              Cheers Steve
                              my website http://www.macthehat.com/

Comment

View Post

Hey D

Creating a new setlist.

I create a new setlist called "Mellow" or something and it will create that list but rename the setlist directly below it "Mellow" as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X