Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a windows app that scrolls lyrics and plays backing tracks?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a windows app that scrolls lyrics and plays backing tracks?

Hi

im thinking of springing for an iPad. so i can use either the Songbook or the OnSong apps. (any preference on those two apps by the way folks??)

but another alternative is to stay with my 10" notebook laptop if i can find me a PC based application which does same thing.

what i am after here is scrolling lyrics, triggering backtracks and queing up playlists

oh and happy new year to you all!!

D

I couldn't find one other than a ridiculously expensive one when I was looking-- that's how I ended up with an IPad. After having my IPad for awhile, I have to agree with most that they are overpriced. I'd find a simple, inexpensive tablet if I were you. My brother works for a company that runs this website and you can grab a tablet for about $100.

I would email Onsong or Songbook prior to buying one of these just to make sure the platforms are compatible.

http://www.cheetahdeals.com/Tablets-E-readers-s/655.htm
    Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

thanks. will check em. although not sure if they sell to europe and if so is there a customs issue...

i have a 2nd hand iPad1 i can get for 200euro here its a lot but what the hell. my folder fell off the music stand last friday at a gig - pages went everywhere. looked really professional .. so i need to go for it..

thanks potts

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
      View Post

I couldn't find one other than a ridiculously expensive one when I was looking-- that's how I ended up with an IPad. After having my IPad for awhile, I have to agree with most that they are overpriced. I'd find a simple, inexpensive tablet if I were you. My brother works for a company that runs this website and you can grab a tablet for about $100.

I would email Onsong or Songbook prior to buying one of these just to make sure the platforms are compatible.

Comment

by the way what wa sthe name of that ridiculously expensive PC software can you remember??

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by doezer
          View Post

Hi

im thinking of springing for an iPad. so i can use either the Songbook or the OnSong apps. (any preference on those two apps by the way folks??)

but another alternative is to stay with my 10" notebook laptop if i can find me a PC based application which does same thing.

what i am after here is scrolling lyrics, triggering backtracks and queing up playlists

oh and happy new year to you all!!

D

I've been experimenting with several Android apps on a Nexus 7, with varying results. First, there are two that offer companion Windows versions: Songbook, and MobilSheets.

The former is aimed at Chordpro/text input. Songbook (developer in Berlin, GE) has versions for iPhone/iPad, Mac, Windows, Android, Palm, some others... Songbook does scroll, and it seems to offer a decent set list feature; I haven't paid attention to whether it plays tracks. So far, my (limited) opinion is that it's OK, although I've also observed a couple oddities that I've queries the developer about...

MobilSheets is focused on image/PDF input (scores) and the developer (so far) says he doesn't intend to develop for IOs, given existence of forScore. He also says he intends to incorporate Chordpro/text compatibility. It currently "scrolls" half-pages at a time, and turns pages... although the website suggests using a bluetooth pedal page turner also implement continuous automated scrolling. The dev also says he intends to incorporate continuous automated scrolling anyway, so presumably without needing the pedal. Good set list features, good metadata store. As above, I don't know about tracks. My opinion (so far) is that this one is already pretty good for folks who use full scores, or for those who have (or can create) charts in PDF format. (For me, editing in Word, and saving as PDF is much more visual than editing in Chordpro/text... and I'm picky about placement of chords, relative to lyrics.) OTOH, until this one can do continuous scrolling automated scrolling, the user is best off with a 10" or even larger screen (e.g., Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy 10.1, etc.) depending on eyeball-to-screen distance. The 7" works OK for me at guitar distance; it's pushing it at drum-rack distance.

(I'll add as an aside: we built the pianist a 6-sheet -- almost 7-sheet -- wiiiiide music "desk" that mounts using bits and pieces from the upper-tier connectors on her keyboard rack. Our early impression is that we could maybe eliminate all that, plus the several pounds of 3-ring binders, with MobilSheets and a 10" tablet, even with only the 1/2-page scrolling/page turning features. The idea of needing yet another pedal hasn't rung any chimes, given she's already busy using keyboard pedals while playing.)

I've not downloaded/installed/tried either of the companion Windows versions.

The other two I've been looking at in more depth are Lyric Pad and The Chordinator. Both are designed for Chordpro/text input. Both have some strong points, but the set list feature -- which is one thing I was after in the first place, is disabled in the free trial versions... so can't comment completely yet. They both do scroll, and I don't know about tracks.

I've also looked briefly at GuitarTapp, but set lists isn't enabled in the trial version, nor does the trial version allow loading my own chart to evaluate.

Songbook, Lyric Pad, The Chordinator, and GuitarTapp all support internet searches for tabs/chords; since our pianist plays from full scores, I've been able to compare on-line tabs to the real deal... and most of the on-line tabs I've seen are underwhelming. (And I'm picky about chord placement.)

I did much of my initial "market survey" by finding the apps in the Google Play store, then looking at "what others installed" and also at each developers website.

My verdict is still out.

-D44
          ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
          - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
          - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
          - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
          Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

Taking Potts advice, I bought an ipad in the summer and the Onsong app. I did look into a windows tablet but Onsong isn't available on anything but the Apple platform. Having said that, it has worked out remarkably well, the tablet sits neatly on my mike stand (I posted a pic of me at a Christmas gig a few days ago and you can see that it is hardly noticeable). The Onsong app is amazing with so many useful features ie different customized views including night/day, transposing, importing, triggering BTs, organising set lists, tagging favourites and much more. It is a simple swipe to get from song to song and a single push to scroll and if a track is associated start it up. All in all I couldn't be happier. Now the BUT! At the same time as I bought my ipad my wife got a Nexus Google Tablet, which is far superior in every way to the ipad, of course with the exception of it can't play Onsong.

For a gigging musician can't imagine not having one even if not using BTs. I also have a set of songs that are on my to learn list, it's just so handy. I am now toying with getting a foot pedal, but it really is almost seamless to simply swipe and touch.

Cheers Steve
            Cheers Steve
            my website http://www.macthehat.com/

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by steve mac
              View Post

The Onsong app is amazing with so many useful features ie different customized views including night/day, transposing, importing, triggering BTs, organising set lists, tagging favourites and much more. It is a simple swipe to get from song to song and a single push to scroll and if a track is associated start it up.

I guess I glossed over all that, but near as I can tell (excepting not having paid any attention to tracks), all those are common features for the Android apps I've looked at, too. Transposing seems only available in those that depend on Chordpro/text format as input.

Not a recommendation, just an observation... and slightly limited, because we only have an Android tablet.

There's an app out there from Musicnotes, which (I'm guessing) may use Sibelius Scorch, and if so, may do transpositions direct from the score... but I haven't looked at that in Windows recently, and haven't actually looked at that for the tablet at all.

-Chris
              ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
              - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
              - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
              - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
              Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

I have been using Lyric Pad since it's release, on a original Motorola Xoom with a 10.1 inch screen for over 3 years now and will not change it for the world!

Quick features:

Scrolling lyrics, automatic, or user defined globally or per song, with the ability to dictate pauses for interludes!

Lyric format is simple text so I imported every lyric I already had in my PC (on-line database also available for on the fly searches)

Ability to make notes on the lyrics like chord changes, etc

You can swap backgorund and letter colors for indoor or outdoor viewing.

Alpha listing and can create set lists y simply taping on the title and saving.

Stable, never in 3 years has left me down

Updated frequently by the developer that does that input from users!

Rod
                www.tablefor2.net

Comment

View Post

Not as overpriced as page turners. One thing to note- don't skimp too much on screen resolution. The original iPad's is just fine, and I'm sure most Android tablets as well. But I've used less fine screens that really don't display text as well.
                  Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com

Comment

LOL..I'll blatantly troll. I still HATE Onsong.
                    Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

View Post

LOL..I'll blatantly troll. I still HATE Onsong.

Me too. Ya know, if a UI won't let me access basic functions without referring to help files or you-tube, I just move on because one of us (usually me) is dumb

Been that way with every drum machine, sequencer and guitar doodad I ever bought. (this is why I have not owned much Roland gear but that is another subject).

Onsong was just too much work to figure out and when I did, I realized I had to migrate all of my embedded lyrics through textedit and add them back manually into the app. NO thanks.

If you go iPad, I strongly suggest you look at Stage Traxx for all of the functionality described in the OP. It's not perfect (yet) but it is the best I've found thus far and pretty dead simple to use.

Backtrax is also very solid but no scrolling...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by espgold
                        View Post

I realized I had to migrate all of my embedded lyrics through textedit and add them back manually into the app. NO thanks.

^This
                        Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

I don't see a need to scroll lyrics on a laptop screen. Maybe a few songs that have a ton of words, but most are readable being viewed all at once. I use different colored text for choruses and any other sections to make it easier.

Example attached
                          Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

Comment

I use Songbook and like it. But does anyone know of a similar iPad app that scrolls to MIDI clock?
                            Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey
                              View Post

I don't see a need to scroll lyrics on a laptop screen. Maybe a few songs that have a ton of words, but most are readable being viewed all at once. I use different colored text for choruses and any other sections to make it easier.

Example attached

I stayed away from colors when I used a laptop. I was always afraid of the reds or blues being washed away with lights. My method was to either bold or italicize when needed. I'm assuming that doesn't happen though Bob?
                              Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Working...
                              X