Songs you were sure would be a hit but bombed

steve mac

• Members

For getting folk onto their feet I think you go a long way to beat a Trex tune so I learned "Get it On" have tried it out live twice and both time it instantly cleared the floor. Now I am sure I sing this as well or badley, depending on your point of view, as any other song in my set. But after two flops I have retired it. Cant understand it, loved playing it but ah we'll there you go, their are lots of other songs to choose from.

Anyone care to share theirs before I go and choose them.

Cheers Steve

• Members

All depends who you're playing for, of course, but while "Get It On" has some wider recognition, I'm not sure anybody much under 50 even knows who T-Rex is.

The last time I had a major "I was SURE that song would work...." incident was 4-5 years ago (back when 80s music was working better than it does today) and I thought the songs "The Stroke" and "Centerfold" would be sure-fire dancefloor fillers for my party band.   I was wrong.

• Members

worked out my own arrangement of the allman bros "whipping post"...   very bluesy, sleazy rendition that i figured would be just different enough to work... yeah...  tried it twice and it just bombed...  once more in a different crowd and again it fizzled...  then, at a gig that was basically musicians by invitation only i figured what the fuck lets try it once more and get some feedback as to why it isnt working...  and it worked like a charm...    moral of the story?   cie la vie, say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell...

• Members

true to a large degree, also, the intro is soft and subtle which tends to get lost in the average club... noise floor being what it is...

in my duo, the other musician is a carbon copy on most everything he plays where I tend to be the balance to that in doing almost everything as I hear it... nice tension on stage and it has worked for us for about three years here in tallahassee...

oh yeah, he is the conservative...saddle oxfords, short hair, subdued casual dress where I am tie dyed, long haired and barefoot... :strawberry fields forever smiley:

Archived