Bose pa query...

Sick boy78

• Members

I'm pretty happy with my sound. But are these systems that amazing? I've read reviews and I can't find anything bad at all. In fact people seem blown away by them. I like the portability aspect, I just have never heard one live and my mind can't handle that they are as good as some claim.

Could they be better sound quality wise than say qsc k series? Or my lowly mackies?

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

I'm pretty happy with my sound. But are these systems that amazing? I've read reviews and I can't find anything bad at all. In fact people seem blown away by them. I like the portability aspect, I just have never heard one live and my mind can't handle that they are as good as some claim.

Could they be better sound quality wise than say qsc k series? Or my lowly mackies?

Some like 'em, some loathe them, but most folk's opinion falls somewhere in between. I've used them when they're the "house system" and for solo guitar/voice gigs, they're OK, but only just, IMABO.

Wouldn't  buy one, even when I was offered a lightly used one for $350, but a friend did, although she sold it a couple years later. For the $2k they typically go for, there's a lot of good choices out there, but the L1 is portable.

See if you can rent one and try it in a typical (for you) gig situation, or book yourself somewhere where the L1 is the "house PA"...that's the only way to really know if it's the right rig for you

• Moderators

Sick boy78 wrote:

There is a definite difference in how linear arrays put the sound in the room compared to a traditional designed loudspeaker. We have a number of Bose L1/compact users here, who all are very pleased with the results. We also have some 'Fish-stick' [Fishman SA220] users here [like me] who like the sound from their linear array. Then again, we have a number of people here who happily use powered speakers...

Go rent one as mentioned, but bring along someone who's opinion you trust to listen to the sound from the audience's perspective.

• Members

YMMV

For what I do there is nothing better. I mean that too. If there's a musician in the audience, I get compliments on my vocal and acoustic every single time. Every time. I've used my Bose for years and have it dialed--I have probably 1000 gigs on it and I'm on my second set of speakers because I beat the crap out of them so bad. They still work fine, it's just that they look like they went through a war-zone. I can't imagine anyone can walk up to one at a club or someone who just purchases one, will get the desired response without at least a handful of gigs or more on it. Gain staging and mic placement and technique are huge with this thing.

I seriously don't want to get into another "Bose VS everything else" debate, but as an acoustic guy that plays a {censored}load, I wouldn't want anything else. Trust me...I'm not going out 180 dates a year with something that doesn't blow me away every time. Sometimes the only enjoyment I get out of playing full-time is how pro and clear my PA sounds--especially my guitar.

My Bose is so solid I use it as a monitor when I play in a band setting too. I don't care who's running sound or what they're doing, everything,including my vocal, goes through my Bose before going to FOH.

This is with a {censored}ty camera set up about 15' in front of the tower.  It's a little heavy on the low end but...

• Members

Thanks for the input!! And thanks for the video post Potts!

I've listened to some great youtube videos, seems awesome. Now I want to try one.

Are these systems prone to say blown speaker issues and or clipping like standard pa's? Or has Bose figured out how to prevent that? It almost seems like a really advanced home stereo/pa. Kinda hi-if thing!?!

• Members

My favorite feature is that you hear exactly what the audience hears. No more asking, "How do I sound?" on my breaks. BTW...I sound great. I'm not hidden behind my PA speakers teetering on their stands either. And you can sit at the table right in front of me and not get blasted or against the back wall and hear just as well.

To borrow a marketing phrase, Bose...there is no substitute.

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

Are these systems prone to say blown speaker issues and or clipping like standard pa's? Or has Bose figured out how to prevent that? It almost seems like a really advanced home stereo/pa. Kinda hi-if thing!?!

Not that I know of. I've never heard of anyone blowing them per se. Their repair policy is OK I guess though. They basically charge you $250 and rebuild the unit. You never really get an answer what the isse is.

Archived