Ideas for Texas Trip

steve mac

• Members

Will be in Texas Jan/Feb arriving in San Antonio picking up a car, but after that have nothing planned (will earn next years wages by taking photos for the tourist industry as I go, so can do that anywhere) So what I am after is ideas on where to go, especially where I can see some good live music, preferably off the beaten track. Also any decent music shops that have a decent selection of PRS guitars.
Any and all suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers Steve

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by steve mac View Post
Will be in Texas Jan/Feb arriving in San Antonio picking up a car, but after that have nothing planned (will earn next years wages by taking photos for the tourist industry as I go, so can do that anywhere) So what I am after is ideas on where to go, especially where I can see some good live music, preferably off the beaten track. Also any decent music shops that have a decent selection of PRS guitars.
Cheers Steve
If you are going to cover the texas tourist scene ,, head south my friend. The Rio Grande Valley and South Padre Island. Besides , its warm down here.

• Moderators

San Antonio...talk about touristy places...
How much time do you have? Texas is HUGE...and there are many 'faces' of the Lone Star State.
The Austin music scene is world famous.
We have some resident Texicans...Terry A. Hall for one...Mr. Knobs (the OJ moderator ...) and a few more...you might PM them. Mr. Knobs is in the Austin scene, so I'm sure he can be very informative.

• Members

Am there for seven weeks, although I do need to hit some touristy places to get the money making pics, and also because I want to see things like the Alamo etc. I really like to get to see "real" America. I do a trip like this to a different part of USA every eighteen months or so. Good call re Terry and only heard good things about Austin.
Cheers Steve

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by steve mac View Post
Cheers Steve
Hi Steve,

My wife and I love to go to Fredericksburg, TX. It is an interesting place.
If you pass through there, see if you can catch Quincy Harper. Dude has one of the best voices I've ever heard. He has a band, but he also often does a duo gig at the Lincoln Street Wine Bar.

In and around Austin, there is too much to list. One place I like to hit is Salt Lick BBQ in Dripping Springs, Tx. Going there has become something of an event. People almost seem to "tailgate" there. You can bring your own beer/wine and sit outside and listen to the bands while you wait for your table inside to have some of the best BBQ in the state.

The Johnson Space Center (for a non-music related trip) is just south of Houston in the Clear Lake area. That's a pretty cool trip too.
--Aik

• Members

There are a ton of great photo opportunities in Austin and all over the Texas Hill Country all the way down to San Antonio. In Austin, there is a ton of live music and fun downtown. I highly suggest you make it a stop on the tour. And if you're into auto racing at all, maybe a visit to Circuit of the Americas, just outside of town here in Austin, is in order - it's our brand-spanking-new F1 track!

Hitting the Salt Lick is cool, as well as any of the great BBQ places in Lockhart.

There's so much to do here, and if you really want to make a trek (it's a long drive into nowhere), head out to Big Bend National Park - it's some of the most incredible scenery Texas has to offer.

All the other suggestions are great, too.

Brian V.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSchizo View Post
There are a ton of great photo opportunities in Austin and all over the Texas Hill Country all the way down to San Antonio. In Austin, there is a ton of live music and fun downtown. I highly suggest you make it a stop on the tour. And if you're into auto racing at all, maybe a visit to Circuit of the Americas, just outside of town here in Austin, is in order - it's our brand-spanking-new F1 track!

Hitting the Salt Lick is cool, as well as any of the great BBQ places in Lockhart.

There's so much to do here, and if you really want to make a trek (it's a long drive into nowhere), head out to Big Bend National Park - it's some of the most incredible scenery Texas has to offer.

All the other suggestions are great, too.

Brian V.
Yea you cant miss seeing big bend.

• Members

I lived in Texas for 8years..traveled the entire state..if you are in San Antonio, then check out Krazy Cat Music and Spacetone guitar stores. If you like good instruments from people who know tones. (if you want amateurs please see GC). After drive 2 hours north to Austin and catch 6th street on any weekend..they close the streets off and its a block party. Music varies from place to place..so see emall if ya wanna know who is really good.
and don't say you know where the best BBQ is..thems are fighting werds in Texas!!!!
GtrGeorge

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge! View Post
I lived in Texas for 8years..traveled the entire state..if you are in San Antonio, then check out Krazy Cat Music and Spacetone guitar stores. If you like good instruments from people who know tones. (if you want amateurs please see GC). After drive 2 hours north to Austin and catch 6th street on any weekend..they close the streets off and its a block party. Music varies from place to place..so see emall if ya wanna know who is really good.
and don't say you know where the best BBQ is..thems are fighting werds in Texas!!!!
GtrGeorge
you ever get down to SPI?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge! View Post
GtrGeorge
Not THE best...SOME of the best. That's as foolish, in my opinion, as trying to pick the prettiest girl in the world. Besides the actual BEST barbeque is the stuff I make.

--Aik

• 1 month later...

Archived