Using a Roland Mobile Cube for solo gigs.

MDLMUSIC

• Members

A couple of days ago I traded in some of my old gear I was no longer using to GC and picked up a Mobile Cube. I specifically got this model because of its small size. The first thing I did was replace the Danelectro Honeytone mini-amp in my DIY electronic bagpipes with the Roland. The Mobile Cube is at least ten times louder with a nice clean sound. The chorus and reverb also add a lot to the sound. I've already done one bagpipes gig and a singalong gig, running my microphone for vocals and my acoustic-electric guitar into the Roland. In both cases, the Mobile Cube seemed to have no trouble filling a decent-sized dining room in a senior center with sound. I have a Mardi Gras gig in the same venue next week using my Yamaha keyboard and a mic through a Digitech harmonizer unit. I think I'm going to try doing the gig with the Cube rather than hauling my 600 watt Yamaha powered mixer and two Peavey 12inch speakers on stands.

Has anybody else ever used one of these or a similar model for gigging? If so, how did it work for you?

• Members

MDLMUSIC wrote:

A couple of days ago I traded in some of my old gear I was no longer using to GC and picked up a Mobile Cube. I specifically got this model because of its small size. The first thing I did was replace the Danelectro Honeytone mini-amp in my DIY electronic bagpipes with the Roland. The Mobile Cube is at least ten times louder with a nice clean sound. The chorus and reverb also add a lot to the sound. I've already done one bagpipes gig and a singalong gig, running my microphone for vocals and my acoustic-electric guitar into the Roland. In both cases, the Mobile Cube seemed to have no trouble filling a decent-sized dining room in a senior center with sound. I have a Mardi Gras gig in the same venue next week using my Yamaha keyboard and a mic through a Digitech harmonizer unit. I think I'm going to try doing the gig with the Cube rather than hauling my 600 watt Yamaha powered mixer and two Peavey 12inch speakers on stands.

Has anybody else ever used one of these or a similar model for gigging? If so, how did it work for you?

Not exactly, but kinda similar, I suppose: I use a Crate Limo 50...makes a dandy "mini-PA" for nursing homes, senior centers, small restaurants, farmer's markets, that sort of thing...anywhere where just a little boost in volume is all that is required. Sometimes I set it on a table, for when a moderate volume is sufficient, but, on a speaker tripod, about 6' off the ground, it really fills a room!

And, yeah, MUCH easier than hauling along my PA and running it almost turned off!

Does the Mobile Cube use batteries, or is it AC-only?

• Members

Whew, finally got a reply...thanks. The Roland Mobile Cube runs off of 6 AA batteries, but can also use a wall-wart AC adapter. The manual says it'll run for 15 hours with new batteries. I'm going to use it today for my Mardi Gras gig at the assisted living center. I'll do an update after the gig.

Archived