Bag Man

steve mac

• Members

I love a place for everything and everything in its place, mainly because my memory is so bad that I can be sure I have not forgotten anything. At the moment I take my two guitars in gig bags (got to love Tiger hard foam ones) I take my amp in its own shoulder bag it came with and can fit my mike and voicelive play gtx into the side pockets, but it is heavy, then my cables go in pockets of the guitar cases along with straps and ipad. My amp stand and mike stand goes into an old photography stand bag together with my ipad mike stand holder. Now I have a drum machine and subsequent pedals and leads which I plan on putting in a large laptop bag I have. However this necessitates obviously several trips on the load in/out, as well as the stand bag is past it's best and the ipad holder doesn't really fit properly plus the cables are all over the place. So my question is is anyone using some genius gig bag hard or soft that I haven't been able to find to be better organised, particularly in relation to the stands and cables.

Failing that I was going to get a keyboard case and customise it with old camera bag seporators but I would rather have something purpose built. Oh and if it could handle a change of clothes so much the better.

Cheers Steve

• Moderators

specifically what goes in the case?  You can have a road case made for your specific needs, but I think you need to think about how large the case will be and how much weight you want to haul at a go.  For the stands you might look at drum stand cases.

• Members

specifically what goes in the case? You can have a road case made for your specific needs, but I think you need to think about how large the case will be and how much weight you want to haul at a go.

One speaker stand, I use to put the amp on, I would want my Voicelive play GTX and drum machine in there which are both the size of a small encyclopedia, two Boss pedals which join together and are the size of a thick paperback, ten assorted cables, mike stand, iPod holder, roll of duct tape, extension leads, change of shirt/pants, shoes and hat. Other bits and bobs like screwdriver, picks etc. Ideally they would all have a separate compartment or pocket to go in, so that at a glance I would know if I had forgotten anything and would also speed finding things, attached wheels would be a bonus, but as I have said some of my venues are up stairs so it would have to be pick up able.

Cheers Steve

• Members

Apparently they don't sell them anymore but I use several these, each one loaded for a specific instrument and/or situation:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-elite-series-gear-bag/541773000389000

In tweed or black, they have lots of compartments.  Worth searching out used if it's in good shape. Maybe there's a newer version?

• Members

I am serioulsy looking at this one. It is more than I want to spend but I already have other "heavy duty" bags where the zipper has already given up. Granted, I only spent $29-$39 for these bags but I want a pro bag. All the reviews on this are real good (5 star).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-professional-music-gear-bag?content=review#review

bag.jpg

DV016\_Jpg\_Large\_541692\_front\_closed\_R.jpg

• Members

steve mac wrote:

I love a place for everything and everything in its place, mainly because my memory is so bad that I can be sure I have not forgotten anything. At the moment I take my two guitars in gig bags (got to love Tiger hard foam ones) I take my amp in its own shoulder bag it came with and can fit my mike and voicelive play gtx into the side pockets, but it is heavy, then my cables go in pockets of the guitar cases along with straps and ipad. My amp stand and mike stand goes into an old photography stand bag together with my ipad mike stand holder. Now I have a drum machine and subsequent pedals and leads which I plan on putting in a large laptop bag I have. However this necessitates obviously several trips on the load in/out, as well as the stand bag is past it's best and the ipad holder doesn't really fit properly plus the cables are all over the place. So my question is is anyone using some genius gig bag hard or soft that I haven't been able to find to be better organised, particularly in relation to the stands and cables.

Failing that I was going to get a keyboard case and customise it with old camera bag seporators but I would rather have something purpose built. Oh and if it could handle a change of clothes so much the better.

Cheers Steve

How about what's called a 'drum Hardware bag?

They come in different sizes, and you should be able to get one that will hold a stand as well as the other stuff. Here's an idea of what I mean......

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/3102891492569768353?hl=en&gs_rn=3&gs_ri=psy-ab&ds=sh&pq=drum+bags+cases&cp=37&gs_id=267&xhr=t&q=protection%20racket%20drum%20hardware%20cases&pf=p&client=firefox-a&hs=Dy4&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sclient=psy-ab&oq=protection+racket+drum+hardware+cases&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42452523,d.d2k&biw=1366&bih=542&sa=X&ei=ky0dUenGCKjK0QWCkYCQBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQ8wIwAQ

Any use?

Archived