My New CD Blog

Potts

• Members
I always look back on major moments in my life and wish I would have documented the event. So I'm going to document this one. Feel free to completely ignore these posts or please chime in whenever you want with comments, stories or suggestions. smile.gif

After way too many years since an official release, I decided to finally record my debut solo disc! It seems like I've been recording in my little home studio for years with nothing to show for it. I finally sat down with the wife and figured out a financial plan to get some outside help and get this thing done.

I booked my first 8 hour block for October 28th and I'll be as prepared as I possibly can in an attempt to keep costs down. I found my drummer and and bass player, I've sent out all my demos and will start rehearsals in about two weeks. My initial plan is to record bass/drums and scratch vocal and scratch acoustic. It would be really sweet if we were solid enough to actually nail bass/drum tracks without a ton of recording time. These guys are as solid as they come so hopefully...

I plan on doing 5 tunes that will include a {censored}load of musicians. Although I'll play acoustic on everything I'm not sure if I'll bring in an electric player or do all the solos myself. We'll see. I do know that I'll bring in a piano player and a mandolin player to compliment a few tunes.

Stay tuned...

• Members

So I started going through some demos that I either did at home, or with a friend in my home studio. I would seriously like to record a full 12-14 song disc but it was discussed in another thread and I simply don't think its worth it right now. So the magic number is difficult right now. It should be five but I'm leaning towards six songs. I likw all six of them so we'll just have to see when I get together for rehearsals with the drummer.

Speaking of the drummer! What a cool dude. I played guitar for him as a fill in for a reunion show for a very popular Western NY band from the late 70's. To be honest, I was flattered to be playing with these guys (that's a different story though). Doug put his drums away for like 15 years and thought he was just coming out of retirement for the one show. He quickly got the bug again, purchased a ridiculously expensive and beautiful DW kit, and has been taking lessons twice a week and playing something like 4 hours a night. The guy is now like 60 and is a monster!! He's got more chops and beats then I've ever heard any local drummer. So Doug and this "guru" drum teacher are charting out all my stuff to see what I like. I pulled the drums out of a bunch of demos tonight and sent them over.

I'm a little concerned at the moment because the bass player that I want has been unavailable and I haven't even been able to talk to him yet. I obviously don't have any cash to pay these guys so it's more of a favor for me. My drummer laughed when I told I couldn't pay him - he said he wouldn't want money anyway. Good people that Doug!

Here's the demos of my tunes that I think I'm going to rework and record. Straight up honest--I'm a big boy. Are there any of these that you love or hate? I'm also WAY open to ideas. For instance..."Blame it on Me"- I hear ragtime piano holding the song together. I also just noticed that some clarinet may be cool. I dunno...Either way the songs will be extremely "vocal heavy".

Two Hands Down
Blame it on Me (Check out my harmonies -LOL)
Leaving NY I put a lot of time in to this in my basement and its going to suck to re-record it.
Not So Long Ago
Something Real

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I had my first rehearsal with the drummer and bass player on Thursday. It was great- they were working on their parts on their own over the past few weeks. It was pretty nerve racking for a minute. My drummer Doug couldn't stop raving about his bass playing friend Harvey that has been playing jazz/blues for 30+ years professionally. So without meeting or talking to him I let him have a go with the music. It was great- he's a very talented player and we got along on so many levels.

It was a lot of fun for me because I got to put everything together musically. Of course I "allowed" creative freedom and suggestions, but most of the decisions were made by me and it felt good to find the right direction for three of the six songs. What a difference it makes playing with people without insane egos. Although we're only going to be in the same room for a very limited time, its important that we really enjoy this experience. I think the three of us will.

I feel bad because I can't pay these guys and we talked about it. They were so excited to go in and be a part of the "creating" process that they're happy with pizza and a handful of memories and CD's. We meet for our 2nd of three rehearsals on Tuesday and still record on the 28th!

• Members

I had my second rehearsal with the band on Tuesday. It went well but I could easily rehearse everyday with these guys right up to the first studio date if it were possible. We're going to be ready though even though I've only got one more six hour day with them before we lay down bass/drum tracks. There's so much that goes into arrangement with songs written on an acoustic that I have to make sure I'm satisfied before we lay anything down. The drummer has a little studio so we've been recording what I think are the "proper" arrangements and sending them home with the guys. It seems to be working.

The only issue is that the drummer is an out of his mind "rehearsal/practice" guy. He practices three or four hours a night. He actually suggested that we move the date of the first session. I told him he was missing the point. We're rehearsing so much now so we're ready for the 28th. By rehearsing so much I mean 12 hours of rehearsal for four or five tunes is way more than anyone needs. He's ok with it, but if it were up to him he'd work on this stuff for a year.

I'm not being mean or anything because I'm so happy these guys are helping me out, but things have probably changed quite a bit since they've recorded in a studio. LOL... I'm not sure if either him or the bass player realize that once their tracks are done they won't see the inside of the studio again for this project. The other thing that they may not realize is that I can cut up and paste just about any parts I'm not pleased with. I'm just rolling with trying to get the best possible performance going in though.

We'll definitely have four tunes down and I'm pushing for five. I'd have to say that I am a little bummed because I'd like to do a full-length disc though. I've discussed this before and I'm still sticking with the advice I got here- I'll go with five tunes.

• Members

Just started going through the songs. Halfway through now, and have to say Leaving New York is my favorite so far. They are all very good, but that one reminds me a LOT of the Gin Blossoms, which, as you know, is a high complimented from me. I would give a listen to "Follow You Down" and make sure you're okay with that. But so far the songs sounds great.

• Members

Thanks man..yeah I heard that before regarding the lick. I'm going to have to change it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SLScott86 View Post
Just started going through the songs. Halfway through now, and have to say Leaving New York is my favorite so far. They are all very good, but that one reminds me a LOT of the Gin Blossoms, which, as you know, is a high complimented from me. I would give a listen to "Follow You Down" and make sure you're okay with that. But so far the songs sounds great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

Thanks man..yeah I heard that before regarding the lick. I'm going to have to change it I think.

I have very mixed feelings about actually changing things for fear of sounding too much like something else, but I thought I'd point it out at least. Continuing on now. After hearing all five, I think Not So Long Ago is my favorite. Looking forward to the final recordings!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SLScott86 View Post
I have very mixed feelings about actually changing things for fear of sounding too much like something else, but I thought I'd point it out at least. Continuing on now. After hearing all five, I think Not So Long Ago is my favorite. Looking forward to the final recordings!
Thanks for the encouragement man! I really appreciate it Scott. "Not So Long Ago" is about my "girlfriends" from grade school. They're all real people. It's funny because Cindy is a friend that I still run into today and her verse was from kindergarten almost 35 years ago. Becka was from 2nd grade and when I returned to college to get my associates a couple years ago, she turned out to be my Writing professor.

I changed the solo section of that tune and will now solo over the chords that make up the bridge instead of the the verse chords- it should be fun!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Well I never updated this so I'll let you know how things went down. I went in like I was supposed to Oct 28th or whatever and cut the drum tracks for four tunes in a matter of 4 hours with setup. They sound awesome. I should have seen the red flag though because the bass player said that he couldn't stay to lay the tracks down. He had to go to a party for his daughter's birthday. At the time it wasn't a big deal- I was cool with going home and watching football after having such a successful morning with the drums.

I booked another date to lay down the bass tracks for about 3 weeks later and it didn't go so well. I don't know what I missed during the rehearsals but Harv just didn't cut it. I needed smooth and creative and I got "pocket", a little clunky, fairly unprepared and unfinished. I thought as I left the studio that I would be able to salvage the tracks but it just couldn't happen. I had to call the world's nicest guy and tell him I couldn't use his tracks and I wouldn't be needing him any longer. It sucked but he took it well. I figured I'd just play the bass parts myself but my nephew stepped up and is going to lay them down Saturday.

My nephew is a killer bass player and I'm excited to be using him. He originally couldn't commit because he recently opened a business and music went on the back burner. But after hearing my dilemma he quickly got on board. I'm excited again- we'll lay these tracks down and I'll finally be on my own and dependent of no one and can get this thing moving.

• Members

Everything about yesterday's studio session should have been horrible. My nephew informed me Friday that he couldn't attend the session Saturday because someone quit on him and he didn't have enough coverage at his work. I couldn't cancel because I don't like taking money out of someone's pocket so I decided I would play bass on as many tunes as I could. I figured I could go home and rehearse bass parts after my Friday night gig that went until 10PM. I knew it was going to be a long night because I didn't get home until 11 and had to be up to coach my kid's 6am game before the session at 11:00

I plugged in and the bass was DOA. I tried everything and it just kept humming- I was at a loss. I learned the parts on the acoustic for one song and decided I would just lay bass down lines for that tune and move forward with acoustic guitar tracks and revisit the bass later. I'd have to get up and find a bass after hockey. I got home from hockey and found a bass from a friend on Facebook and was getting ready to leave when my nephew called to tell me he saw my post on Facebook and that I simply needed to replace the batteries for the active pickups. Done! It's a nice 5 string Fender too!

I got to the studio and things went awesome! I got there by 11:00, set up, and actually had a really cool bass line done by 11:30. We moved right to acoustics. I was a little nervous because I wasn't really prepared to jump right in this early in the sessions. I'd have to say I nailed mostly everything in a couple of takes without punches on any of it. It was great. I would imagine, that just like any other players, it's hard to impress yourself. I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't psyched at nailing 3 tunes with multiple acoustic parts in under an hour. I demo'd these songs at home but it was over a year ago. Apparently it all sunk in because it went so well.

The fourth tune took about an hour though and I didn't finish. I actually had to "call" it. I'm not whining but it was a long December gig wise. I did somewhere around 18 by the 22nd and my fingers were toast. I had 13's on the acoustic and I could almost not fret anymore. I was trying to play so quietly and perfectly for the other tracks that it was just too much. It was OK though because after about 30 minutes on the last song I knew I was ready to be done for the day. It felt good to know that there was no reason to keep spending money and getting diminishing returns. I ended up getting about 4 hours in.

I'm happy that I played bass on at least one tune. It's a good solid bass line. I'll gladly leave the bass parts,and any other things I'm not completely proficient with, to the people that actually play those instruments though. I go back in a couple of weeks to finish up the bass parts.

(2) 451's in XY, Sterling ST77 over the top, (2) CAD M-179's room Left and Right. Mic pres are the A&H mixer in the next pic

61071\_4469843976831\_505772713\_n.jpg

This is the first time recording with the Taylor 410. I have Elixer 13's on it and it sounded great!

15857\_4469842456793\_671087347\_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So I have another session on Saturday. I've now enlisted the help of one of the better bass players in Western NY. We're Facebook friends but I barely know him so I wasn't sure about asking him to play--especially for free. I simply went out of my way and asked him if he'd consider doing it and asked me to send him the tunes. I did and he's on board. This guy is very talented and I'm hoping that this time will be the time I get these bass tracks done. I'm going to show some gratitude by getting him a $25 gift card for guitar center.It's the thought right? unfortunatly that's all I can afford right now.

I've also been working like crazy on the guitar parts. It's fun though. I haven't had to rehearse parts in years. I'm thinking I should be able to get the bass tracks done within a about 90 minutes and then work on guitars and solos for the remainder of the day. Hopefully the next session will be vocals  :)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Too early is probably the legit reason. I can't record in the morning, or after a nap. If I could make a suggestion from the "it works for me so it must work for everybody else" department, hot mint tea does wonders for me. The mint and steam keep everything clear, plus the temperature loosens things up. Or something. But now I get psyched out if I don't have it. ...singers...

Archived