X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New CD Blog

I always look back on major moments in my life and wish I would have documented the event. So I'm going to document this one. Feel free to completely ignore these posts or please chime in whenever you want with comments, stories or suggestions.

After way too many years since an official release, I decided to finally record my debut solo disc! It seems like I've been recording in my little home studio for years with nothing to show for it. I finally sat down with the wife and figured out a financial plan to get some outside help and get this thing done.

I booked my first 8 hour block for October 28th and I'll be as prepared as I possibly can in an attempt to keep costs down. I found my drummer and and bass player, I've sent out all my demos and will start rehearsals in about two weeks. My initial plan is to record bass/drums and scratch vocal and scratch acoustic. It would be really sweet if we were solid enough to actually nail bass/drum tracks without a ton of recording time. These guys are as solid as they come so hopefully...

I plan on doing 5 tunes that will include a ****************load of musicians. Although I'll play acoustic on everything I'm not sure if I'll bring in an electric player or do all the solos myself. We'll see. I do know that I'll bring in a piano player and a mandolin player to compliment a few tunes.

Stay tuned...
    Just Darrell Web Site

Hey Darrell,

If you need cello on something, let me know. I can show you stuff I've done if you like....I'm cheap for HC'rs.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by KindredDuo
      View Post

Hey Darrell,

If you need cello on something, let me know. I can show you stuff I've done if you like....I'm cheap for HC'rs.

Very cool! I'll let you know. Do you play violin too by chance?
      Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

We don't need no stinkin' feedles! Sorry.....

I don't play violin, but I can hook you up with all sorts of 'em. Musically speaking, of course. Married man and all.....

Comment

Cool man..when you're ready to present some music we're here bro!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg
            View Post

Cool man..when you're ready to present some music we're here bro!

Right on man!
            Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

So I started going through some demos that I either did at home, or with a friend in my home studio. I would seriously like to record a full 12-14 song disc but it was discussed in another thread and I simply don't think its worth it right now. So the magic number is difficult right now. It should be five but I'm leaning towards six songs. I likw all six of them so we'll just have to see when I get together for rehearsals with the drummer.

Speaking of the drummer! What a cool dude. I played guitar for him as a fill in for a reunion show for a very popular Western NY band from the late 70's. To be honest, I was flattered to be playing with these guys (that's a different story though). Doug put his drums away for like 15 years and thought he was just coming out of retirement for the one show. He quickly got the bug again, purchased a ridiculously expensive and beautiful DW kit, and has been taking lessons twice a week and playing something like 4 hours a night. The guy is now like 60 and is a monster!! He's got more chops and beats then I've ever heard any local drummer. So Doug and this "guru" drum teacher are charting out all my stuff to see what I like. I pulled the drums out of a bunch of demos tonight and sent them over.

I'm a little concerned at the moment because the bass player that I want has been unavailable and I haven't even been able to talk to him yet. I obviously don't have any cash to pay these guys so it's more of a favor for me. My drummer laughed when I told I couldn't pay him - he said he wouldn't want money anyway. Good people that Doug!

Here's the demos of my tunes that I think I'm going to rework and record. Straight up honest--I'm a big boy. Are there any of these that you love or hate? I'm also WAY open to ideas. For instance..."Blame it on Me"- I hear ragtime piano holding the song together. I also just noticed that some clarinet may be cool. I dunno...Either way the songs will be extremely "vocal heavy".

Two Hands Down

Blame it on Me (Check out my harmonies -LOL)

Leaving NY I put a lot of time in to this in my basement and its going to suck to re-record it.

Not So Long Ago

Something Real
              Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Darrell, listened to them all, for me Something Real is head and shoulders above the rest and the rest are really good. All the best with your endevour, look forward to knowing someone famous

Cheers Steve
                Cheers Steve
                my website http://www.macthehat.com/

Comment

Thank you Steve...that's very encouraging! "Something Real" actually got some airplay around here for awhile.
                  Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

I had my first rehearsal with the drummer and bass player on Thursday. It was great- they were working on their parts on their own over the past few weeks. It was pretty nerve racking for a minute. My drummer Doug couldn't stop raving about his bass playing friend Harvey that has been playing jazz/blues for 30+ years professionally. So without meeting or talking to him I let him have a go with the music. It was great- he's a very talented player and we got along on so many levels.

It was a lot of fun for me because I got to put everything together musically. Of course I "allowed" creative freedom and suggestions, but most of the decisions were made by me and it felt good to find the right direction for three of the six songs. What a difference it makes playing with people without insane egos. Although we're only going to be in the same room for a very limited time, its important that we really enjoy this experience. I think the three of us will.

I feel bad because I can't pay these guys and we talked about it. They were so excited to go in and be a part of the "creating" process that they're happy with pizza and a handful of memories and CD's. We meet for our 2nd of three rehearsals on Tuesday and still record on the 28th!
                    Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

I had my second rehearsal with the band on Tuesday. It went well but I could easily rehearse everyday with these guys right up to the first studio date if it were possible. We're going to be ready though even though I've only got one more six hour day with them before we lay down bass/drum tracks. There's so much that goes into arrangement with songs written on an acoustic that I have to make sure I'm satisfied before we lay anything down. The drummer has a little studio so we've been recording what I think are the "proper" arrangements and sending them home with the guys. It seems to be working.

The only issue is that the drummer is an out of his mind "rehearsal/practice" guy. He practices three or four hours a night. He actually suggested that we move the date of the first session. I told him he was missing the point. We're rehearsing so much now so we're ready for the 28th. By rehearsing so much I mean 12 hours of rehearsal for four or five tunes is way more than anyone needs. He's ok with it, but if it were up to him he'd work on this stuff for a year.

I'm not being mean or anything because I'm so happy these guys are helping me out, but things have probably changed quite a bit since they've recorded in a studio. LOL... I'm not sure if either him or the bass player realize that once their tracks are done they won't see the inside of the studio again for this project. The other thing that they may not realize is that I can cut up and paste just about any parts I'm not pleased with. I'm just rolling with trying to get the best possible performance going in though.

We'll definitely have four tunes down and I'm pushing for five. I'd have to say that I am a little bummed because I'd like to do a full-length disc though. I've discussed this before and I'm still sticking with the advice I got here- I'll go with five tunes.
                      Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Just started going through the songs. Halfway through now, and have to say Leaving New York is my favorite so far. They are all very good, but that one reminds me a LOT of the Gin Blossoms, which, as you know, is a high complimented from me. I would give a listen to "Follow You Down" and make sure you're okay with that. But so far the songs sounds great.
                        Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com

Comment

Thanks man..yeah I heard that before regarding the lick. I'm going to have to change it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SLScott86
                          View Post

Just started going through the songs. Halfway through now, and have to say Leaving New York is my favorite so far. They are all very good, but that one reminds me a LOT of the Gin Blossoms, which, as you know, is a high complimented from me. I would give a listen to "Follow You Down" and make sure you're okay with that. But so far the songs sounds great.

Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                            View Post

Thanks man..yeah I heard that before regarding the lick. I'm going to have to change it I think.

I have very mixed feelings about actually changing things for fear of sounding too much like something else, but I thought I'd point it out at least. Continuing on now. After hearing all five, I think Not So Long Ago is my favorite. Looking forward to the final recordings!
                            Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SLScott86
                              View Post

I have very mixed feelings about actually changing things for fear of sounding too much like something else, but I thought I'd point it out at least. Continuing on now. After hearing all five, I think Not So Long Ago is my favorite. Looking forward to the final recordings!

Thanks for the encouragement man! I really appreciate it Scott. "Not So Long Ago" is about my "girlfriends" from grade school. They're all real people. It's funny because Cindy is a friend that I still run into today and her verse was from kindergarten almost 35 years ago. Becka was from 2nd grade and when I returned to college to get my associates a couple years ago, she turned out to be my Writing professor.

I changed the solo section of that tune and will now solo over the chords that make up the bridge instead of the the verse chords- it should be fun!
                              Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Working...
                              X