Tell me about your Acoustic PA rigs for duo's and trio's

Dr.Tom

• Members

We've always played together as a band ;now we're going out as an acoustic trio, once we have all of our material put together. I don't want to spend any more money on a rig and would like to use what I have until I can justify an upgrade.

2 male and one female members; the 2 guys play acoustic guitar(guitar synth added for a few songs)and female member plays harmonica and flute. 1 male and female lead voices and second male backup only(that's me).We will play small venues at first. Here's what I'm planning on using:

2 Peavey 115H PA Speakers

Mackie ProFX 12 mixer

2 Genz Benz CPK-10 acoustic guitar amps

1 Genz benz Shen 150LT acoustic guitar amp

Shure SM-58,SM-57 and Beta-87 mic's

I plan on using one of the amps from the Genz benz CPK-10's as the power amp for the PA. I haven't tested this yet to see if it has the power to do this but hopefully that will work so that I don't have to buy another power amp. If it does work we can use the empty speaker cab as a monitor. I'll probably still mic the guitar amps and send them thru the PA.

Has any one else had to do with what they had in their possession? Thank you.

Tom

• Members

Dr.Tom wrote:

We've always played together as a band ;now we're going out as an acoustic trio, once we have all of our material put together. I don't want to spend any more money on a rig and would like to use what I have until I can justify an upgrade.

2 male and one female members; the 2 guys play acoustic guitar(guitar synth added for a few songs)and female member plays harmonica and flute. 1 male and female lead voices and second male backup only(that's me).We will play small venues at first. Here's what I'm planning on using:

2 Peavey 115H PA Speakers

Mackie ProFX 12 mixer

2 Genz Benz acoustic guitar amps

1 Genz benz Shen 150LT acoustic guitar amp

Shure SM-58,SM-57 and Beta-87 mic's

I plan on using one of the amps from the Genz benz CPK-10's as the power amp for the PA. I haven't tested this yet to see if it has the power to do this but hopefully that will work so that I don't have to buy another power amp. If it does work we can use the empty speaker cab as a monitor. I'll probably still mic the guitar amps and send them thru the PA.

Tom

Don't know how well using the amp of the Genz-Benz will work, what I'd do is borrow a small power amp, plug the instruments directly into the mixer and use one or both  CPK-10s as monitors...then, as soon as you can afford it, buy a good power amp with at least 400 watts and a couple powered monitors...plenty of PA for most acoustic gigs. Your mics are fine, your PA cabs (on stands) will do nicely.

My PA is a Carvin PA1200 (12 channels, 3 X 333 watts), a pair of Carvin LM12s, a powered subwoofer, a pair of hot-spot-type monitors (for bassist and self) and a pair of floor wedge monitors (for percussionist)...if a solo gig, I just bring the hot spots, and leave the wedges and sub home. Mics are Shure 58s (voices) and 57s (percussion).

Travel light!

• Members

PA for solo, duo, trio acoustic gigs:

Mixer:  ZED10FX

Powered speakers:   RCF 310a (1 or a pair, depending on the gig)

Mics:  Heil PR35, PR22, SM57

My two guitars plug into a Radial PZ-Pre, with a T.C. Electronics Flashback Delay in the effects loop.  I go from the post-EQ XLR out to the ZED.

In my duo, I play with a hand percussionist who usually goes without amplification or he uses an SM57 and goes into the ZED.

In my trio, a second guitarist goes via a passive DI into the ZED.  He uses the PR22 for vocals.  If necessary, I run the percusionist's mic into a Mackie 402 VLZ3, so he can go through the ZED as well.

We don't usually need monitors in the places we play, but when we do, I either run one of the RCFs from the aux out of the ZED or, if I need both speakers for FOH, I use my Genz Benz ProLT instead.  I also have a little Kustom PA50 that works OK if space is tight.

I'm on the verge of investing in another pair of 310a's and a bigger board for my larger band, so I assume that one of the speakers and the mixer will do double duty with the smaller ensembles for monitoring and to solve the slight shortage of inputs problem.  Mostly, though, just one 310a and the ZED works fine for most of our gigs.

Louis

• Members

@Dr. Tom, I don't actually have the K10 yet, will take delivery soon. Some owners have said that they get the most out of their K10 with an additional preamp/mixer and the cheap, Behringer Xenox line is said to work well for that- they do have alot of gain compared to the Yamaha MG series or about anything else. My solo or duo gigs are usually of the wallpaper variety- no backing tracks or drums of any kind- so my needs for that are fairly modest. 

• Members

Dr.Tom wrote:

Tom

One thing to remember is that you want to make things reasonably okay right from the start.  If you use a system that is hard to manage, the response from buyers might be less than stellar - and thus there's little chance of success.

I would be tempted to use the right tool for the job, however you could always talk to Genz Benz.  Actually agedhorse (on the live sound forum) might have designed one of those amps, I can't remember. You could always PM him.

My opinion is to get an inexpensive yet durable power amp like Peavey, or a lower end QSC and do it right.

BTW I often use anything from one eight inch speaker (Yorkville NX84) and a tiny powered head (Yorkville M8) to two Yorkville elite e210's, a five hundred watt head and one Yorkville NX720 sub. That's as loud as I've ever needed to be as a solo.  I've never used my Yorkville Unity U15's and LS608's.... Although I see somebody here does use their LS608's.  Now that sounds like  a rockin' solo or duo!

• Members

Alto Truesonic TS110A (monitor) and TS112A (main)

Generic mic splitter

TC Helicon Harmony G-XT

It works very well for our acoustic duo. Plenty of volume for restaurants and wineries. I'd like to add a small mixer to better facilitate level adjustments from my position and not have to move.

• Members

I'm still using this older system. Mackie 808s powered mixer, 2 mackie c300s for mains, and one peavey pr10 for monitor. I run a tc helicon voice create for my vocals. Two acoustic guitars to the board, and a 16" bass drum, that's it. If its a small place ill bring one speaker for mains.

I'm still happy running passive speakers and using this mixer. I think if I ever upgrade to powered speakers I'd still keep the powered mixer for monitors. I'd love to add a small active sub for my bass drum at some point though!

• Members

I generally use one or two Yorkville NX55P's for FOH

an AER Compact 60/2 acoustic combo-amp as a monitor

mixer; Soundcraft EFX-8, or a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX (just bought an MFXi-8 too,,, great board)

Sennheiser e945, or e935 (or both) and I always bring a few extra SM-58's and N'D767a's.

one or two Lumi-Pro 4-head LED light-stands, with LEDRain wash-lights, with MiracLED dance-floor light.

• Members

Sick boy78,

I had a Mackie 808s powered mixer and it was one of the best  powered mixers I ever had . I really liked the effects as well. I can see why you stay with that sysytem.

Tom

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I am in an acoustic trio. 2 acoustic guitars, 1 light percussionist. 3 part harmonies. We do softer to upbeat rock for art galleries, small clubs, festivals and city markets. Clarity, crispness and tone is critical to us as well as sensitivity to volume so that people can carry on a conversation. We use a Yamaha EMX312SC powered mixer with 300 watts per side, that drives 2 Yamaha BR12s for our mains and 2 Yamaha Active MSR 100s for our stage monitors. We use Shure SM57s. We use Taylor and Martin acoustic electric guitars and a Morely Alligator volume boost pedal. We have never been short on power playing down several city blocks and across a 400 ft x 300 ft square grass field. We are told that we are crystal clear. We are going to go to a pair of Fishman SA 220s and a new Yamaha MG16XU mixer to haul around less bulk and weight and to hasten, and reduce the tedium of, set up.

http://www.softshoeshufflers.com

• Members

Things have changed since I posted. Still a duo, male guitar/vox and female vox.

SM58 for me, N/D767 for her.

guitar > TC Electronics mini polytune > Passive DI for guitar just in case there's weird ground loop issues

Zed10FX

EV ELX112P for mains (one or two depending on the room)

Alto TS110A for a monitor

Rock N Roller R8 Cart (LOOOOOOVE the cart!) It's now just one trip from the car to the venue.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sorry about the run on, thanks HC... A set of k10's, a set of k8's, one yorkville elite 15" powered sub, a yammy 12 ch w/fx, fishman aura spectrum di, Morley mini volume, helicon gtx harmonizer, line 6 wireless rig, senn. e935, countryman headset, akg headset, shure pe50, sm58, 57's, beta 52a...

• Members

Back up passive system, a pair of JBL sr4722's, carvin 12 channel powered mixer, EAW 2 10" sub, QSC RMX 850, 223xl crossover, furman power conditioner in a 6 space abs rack... We won't get into the voice of the theaters, or altec 1202's with 15" sro's... I think there may be an ancient acoustic 8 channel powered mixer lurking about as well...

• Members

Duo piano and singers here. Three Electro-Voice N/D767a microphones (one's a spare), Phonic 12 firewire passive mixer, single Electro-Voice ZLX-12p powered monitor. We'll buy another for a stage monitor when we have the money. Very happy with all components.

If it's a gig where I think the piano sound needs to be especially good, I'll bring my laptop running Pianoteq software piano and connect it to the piano via MIDI and to the Phonic via firewire. Otherwise, I just plug the piano audio out into the mixer.

• Members

Just like nousername, I'm using a slightly different set up as well.

For small restaurant/lounge solo gigs I'm using a Zed10FX with one Yorkville YX10P. For larger rooms (solo or duo) I'm using one NX55P with one Yorkville LS720P sub. Vocals are clear, and it's easier to get folks on the dance floor. I have used two NX55P's and achieved similar results, but it's nicer wtih the sub IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of the NX55P's for loud band gigs, but they sound great at lower volumes, and I picked mine up used for half price (around $500.00).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Alesis iMultiMix 8 mixer (with iPod Dock, great for breaks) and a pair of Mackie TH15A Thumps, plenty of power for solos/duos and super-lightweight for powered 15s. The Motif XS7 in stereo sounds great thru this.

• Members

I just tried my new system for the first time last night on a duo gig and was very happy with the results. The room was big and long with high ceilings and there was plenty of volume and punch with room to spare.The system is compact and works good at lower volumes too

2- Jbl Prx712 and a Yamaha Mg12Xu mixer

Archived