getting more gigs,,, any ideas???

doezer

• Members

hi all

theres quite a few people here whose opinoon i respect so i thought id run this by you all..

my duo, we need to increase our ratio of "callbacks"..  so. we are doing gigs and theyre seeming to go down well.  people in the crowd seem into it and we get compliments after etc..  the sound would match and IMO woudl genuinely think it is better than the sound of many other 2 pieces around here these days.   you can judge for yourself..  on youtube  

http://www.youtube.com/user/doezer999

downsides i freely admit our set isnt wide ranging enough we cant cope with all crowds all situations.

our interaction with the audience - i would say its average.  not terrible i have seen others a lot less communicative.

i think places think. yeah they were good,.  nice stuff well dione.. but we dont take them that extra mile where they say.  yes that was great. now how do i get those guys back here...  

were trying to find ways where bar staff will come to us at the end with their diaries looking for dates..  and im not sure where to start!!!   

anyone else languishing in this "good but cant get enough gigs" place??  

there are also other factors beyond our control which have made it harder.  we gigged every week last year. not this year - so the recession is biting here big time.   but there are 2 pieces out there that are still doing it every week ,  and IMO i cant see what they got over us... on the contrary i think some of them arent great.. and of course some are..

any opinions weelcome.. and no need to hold back on any aspect. we're big boys we can take it.. if it could make a difference im all ears :)!

thanks

d

• Members

PS  the main reason we're looking to sort this asap?  i really do miss the $$$.  this is a part time gig for me..ive a day job.   but its become way more than just "beer money" etc.  this used to pay bills and lots of em!!   i want it back!!  :mansad:   plus we enjoy it. kind of a win win ;)) 

• Members

Talk to the customers during breaks. Sometimes they will tell management they liked you, Have your friends do that too, but don't make it obvious that they are your friends. A good resume of places you've played my help, I dunno.

Have you tried hitting up the golf resorts or wineries (they hire for special events which they always have)? Those places normally want someone more for background ambiance and not customer interaction. Those places have wealthier people who attend wealthier events who normally hire live bands over dj's. And that's where you want the networking to work for you!

• Members

doezer wrote:

hi all

theres quite a few people here whose opinoon i respect so i thought id run this by you all..

my duo, we need to increase our ratio of "callbacks"..  so. we are doing gigs and theyre seeming to go down well.  people in the crowd seem into it and we get compliments after etc..  the sound would match and IMO woudl genuinely think it is better than the sound of many other 2 pieces around here these days.   you can judge for yourself..  on youtube  

downsides i freely admit our set isnt wide ranging enough we cant cope with all crowds all situations.

our interaction with the audience - i would say its average.  not terrible i have seen others a lot less communicative.

i think places think. yeah they were good,.  nice stuff well dione.. but we dont take them that extra mile where they say.  yes that was great. now how do i get those guys back here...  

were trying to find ways where bar staff will come to us at the end with their diaries looking for dates..  and im not sure where to start!!!   

anyone else languishing in this "good but cant get enough gigs" place??  

there are also other factors beyond our control which have made it harder.  we gigged every week last year. not this year - so the recession is biting here big time.   but there are 2 pieces out there that are still doing it every week ,  and IMO i cant see what they got over us... on the contrary i think some of them arent great.. and of course some are..

any opinions weelcome.. and no need to hold back on any aspect. we're big boys we can take it.. if it could make a difference im all ears
:)
!

thanks

d

I think you guys sound fine.   Solid playing good vocals. You have arrived.   I think its a matter of developing your show to more than just music.  You will have to start interacting more with your  people at the tables in the kind of places duos play.   Interact , and make the show about those in the crowd.   Work the room.   You have to sell the personna along wtih the music.   Its a live show.   I live and play in a resort music scene that is dominated by solo and duos and cut down bands.  The ones at the top of the heap all have the personna and the music.  I think most of it, is just getting comfortable being on stage and being willing to really talk as well as play and sing for the crowd.    

• Members

Doezer... You guys are solid! Your vocals are great, both of you play guitar well, and your harmonies are right on.

I have no idea how things are in Ireland (my Mum grew up in County Sligo though) but I'll tell you how I nailed this thing.

It's all about setlist and persona. I have 2 of EVERYTHING that anyone would want to hear. It doesn't matter whether it's oldies, country, rock, classics or Irish music. The other thing I do is make sure I'm the coolest and most appreciative musician that anyone has ever met. Of course I'm not overboard with it but...

• Members

I am not sure appearance matters much. I know guys who play nearly every day who look like they swung by the thrift store and grabbed the first shirt and pair of shorts they could find. That being said, I think a polished appearance couldn't hurt in any way. All else being equal, I think you'd do better by looking good.

I wear shorts and flip flops to some outdoor gigs, but I play flip flop kind of music. I always wear a shirt with a collar, and I always wear pants for indoor gigs.

I think personality is the really big component here. I kind of suck at it, but I am trying to get better.

• Members

doezer wrote:

thanks

d

I think this is a very accurate self assessment. You guys are good. Solid singing and playing. But to me your act lacks the wow factor.  There needs to be something happening, be it amazing vocals, guitar playing, songwriting, or presentation, that takes your act to the next level. 

I think I'd work on the arrangements to showcase your interaction with each other in both the singing and the playing.

Check these guys out-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SArSccjTCOs

they are great jazz guitarists, but they go further than simply playing, which they are more than good enough to get away with. Because they created a "show" around their talents, they are incredibly succesful. Someone commented on them being tenacious D for old people, and there is some truth to that, but tenacious d is really doing the same thing-adding comedy to their act.

Of course you don't need to create a comedy version of your set, but I'd look at other vids of successful duos-these two also come to mind:

They are offering a new twist on familiar ground.  Unlike Frank and Vinnie, I don't think their skills are exceptional, but their act is clever.

If you can personalize your arrangements, your show, I think you guys certainly have the skills to go further.

Archived