Take this tablet and see if things improve

steve mac

• Members

My laptop which I so far only use for lyrics is on its way out at 4 yrs old and so its time for a new device to display lyrics and experiment with playing backing tracks.

Whilst the posts on here in relation to tablets have been v helpful am still struggling to understand some basics having never used one.

Firstly I understand that an iPad is the daddy of tablets but just how do you get backing tracks onto it, as there doesnt seem to be a usb? also how do you get the sound out? via the earphone socket?

Would an android tablet give me more flexibility as I understand that the system is not as closed as apple.

Should I stay with what I know and just buy another laptop.

Oh bugger it, can you just please tell me what to buy.

thanks Steve

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Go to an Apple store and try out an iPad. Then go to another store and try out an Android.

Then you'll know.

I live in the countryside of Turkey, not quite so easy to just go and try them, otherwise I would. I will have to just order and hope for the best. I was hoping for a bit of practical advice from others who used them in similar situations before doing that.

Steve

• Members

Steve,

I am definitely an Apple Fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Android tablets are to the iPad what Behringer is to JBL. Android tables are more likely to crash, are not as smooth with their touch interfaces (when you drag something onscreen it can move kind of jittery,) and the best apps for tablet are on the iOS because iPad owners are more likely to spend money on software than Android tablet owners. In terms of tablet sales, the iPad totally dominates. That's not just marketing - that's for a reason. The biggest reason to buy an Android tablet is because you want to save some money. I am not saying that you can't get an Android tablet and be happy with it and have it do what you need, because you can. I am saying that the iPad is a far better device and definitely worth the extra money. IMHO.

The iPad comes with a USB cable to connect it to your iTunes application on your computer - that's how it can talk to your computer. Or you can do it via wireless - either way. The USB cable is faster. There are many different programs that let you play backing tracks on your iPad, and some of them will also display lyrics. Do a forum search here and you'll find several iPad threads.

• Members

I've researched the heck out of this- as recently as the 3 hours I put in today. I'm pretty serious when I say that my conclusion is to spend the cash and get an Ipad, a mic stand adapter and OnSong or SongBook Pro. I actually had an IPad 2 16gb WiFI in my hand today and chickened out because I shouldn't buy it yet because I cant really afford it. It was $399 and you can get one at Best Buy or Walmart even. An inexpensive clip for a mic stand is about $60 and and the apps are about $10 I think. So the entire investment is about $600.

I'm living on the edge...my laptop overheated at a gig last night and crashed. I'm going to use my wife's tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I'll have an IPad by the end of the weekend.

• Members

Ready to pull the trigger on an iPad at any moment.

The 30 pin plug that you use to charge an iPhone ,iPod and iPad are how you load any info on these devices.

They have a camera connect kit that's about 20 bucks that let's you use all kinds of hard drives, keyboards, interfaces and tons of other peripherals.

Virtual DJ will handle your synced backing tracks with your lyrics.

Blue tooth is also supposed to transfer data but if you're that close, plug it in.

My only decision now is whether to get a 2 with 32 g or a 3 with only 16. :idk:

• Members

I live in the countryside of Turkey, not quite so easy to just go and try them, otherwise I would. I will have to just order and hope for the best. I was hoping for a bit of practical advice from others who used them in similar situations before doing that.

Steve

In that case, just buy an iPad.

• Members

I got an iPad a month ago and have already used it for three gigs.

I downloaded the OnSOng app for $5 and started transferring all of my songs on Word documents to the iPad. I'm about 1/3 of the way there and do a little bit every day.

I'm only using it for lyrics and chord charts right now, but may branch out into some other musical areas when I get more comfortable with it.

• Members

With a name like "steve mac", the choice seems obvious.
;)

very good. to you all thanks for your reasoned input. after doing some on line research I came across a Scroll Extreme http://www.t3.com/reviews/scroll-extreme-review, which is an Android tablet which is low in price but has a ton of connections which I can understand including a mini usb sound out and a HDMI. I am not sure if these will be of any use for playing live but I guess options are good.

Anyway thanks again

Steve

• Members

Nice John! I got mine today too! I spent about 6 hours and imported ALL of my tunes as well as all of my backing tracks. My mind is numb. I bought the IKlip and mounted itand I'm leaving for a gig in about 30 minutes. I can't tell you how happy I am right now.

• Members

Nice John! I got mine today too! I spent about 6 hours and imported ALL of my tunes as well as all of my backing tracks. My mind is numb. I bought the IKlip and mounted itand I'm leaving for a gig in about 30 minutes. I can't tell you how happy I am right now.

Cool stuff. When you get time, let me know what software you're using. Have a good show. :thu:

• Members

Cool stuff. When you get time, let me know what software you're using. Have a good show.
:thu:

Thanks! I'm using Songbook Chordpro ($5.99) and it took about 30 minutes before I knew what I was doing but have it pretty wired now. It's fantastic- Richard Mac from here turned me on to it and I'm glad he did.

I would recommend taking all of your "word" files and saving them as .txt in notepad or something. The application doesn't "like" the .doc files. Do every last one and toss them in a folder on your desktop. Then download "Dropbox" for both your PC and your IPad and you'll be able to import everything in a few minutes. If you have any questions just pop them here because I just went through it and feel pretty good about everything.

• Members

Thanks! I'm using Songbook Chordpro ($5.99) and it took about 30 minutes before I knew what I was doing but have it pretty wired now. It's fantastic- Richard Mac from here turned me on to it and I'm glad he did.

I would recommend taking all of your "word" files and saving them as .txt in notepad or something. The application doesn't "like" the .doc files. Do every last one and toss them in a folder on your desktop. Then download "Dropbox" for both your PC and your IPad and you'll be able to import everything in a few minutes. If you have any questions just pop them here because I just went through it and feel pretty good about everything.

Thanx

• Members

I have an iPad II and an Android phone. The Android is a PIA, but it's flexible and not tied to "Steve's Way or the Highway" the way my iPad is. Yeah, the Android crashes more, but it's more logical and intuitive if you want to go off the reservation.

The iPad? It's a royal B**** to do anything but "Steve's Way", which ALWAYS costs money and is slow. For example, ALL music, video and book files are expected to be purchased and downloaded via iTunes. Already-ripped DVDs and CDs that aren't in Apple's format need to be converted or it's no-go. But there are ways around it. However, Apple shut one down with Ver 5.1. Now, I mostly use Azul for video as IT handles AVIs nicely.

And finding stuff on the iPad? Fugeddaboudet! Why the {censored} there can't be a {censored}ing file manager is another one of Steve's idiocies. Plus, if the damn thing jams up, you can't pull the battery and FORCE a reboot--and there isn't even a {censored}ing "off" switch (Steve had a phobia about "off" switches). Don't even get me going on Safari (Safari-so-not-so-good)

DESPITE all that, I like my iPad. With a Zagg keyboard (Apple's is {censored}) you can use it as a communications PC pretty well. Skype works well on it, as does GarageBand. I have no problems with the mail manager and even the Kindle app works well. Battery life is still good, and it's small and starts instantly. My ONLY Android alternative was a Samsung and that didn't have Skype capability, or 3G.

• Members

BTW does it play your backing tracks and tab sheets at the same time?

The gig went great...I can't believe that it took so long to get one. It's pretty cool. I had a track going and you can just swipe the page and basically "cue" up the next song while the one is still playing. I had less down time between tunes than Ive ever had.

I really enjoyed how easy it was to create a set list. I grabbed about 40 tunes that I knew I was going to play and it took about a minute to set it up....very useful. I didn't have to sort through tons of tunes to get where I was going...

• Members

The gig went great...I can't believe that it took so long to get one. It's pretty cool. I had a track going and you can just swipe the page and basically "cue" up the next song while the one is still playing. I had less down time between tunes than Ive ever had.

I really enjoyed how easy it was to create a set list. I grabbed about 40 tunes that I knew I was going to play and it took about a minute to set it up....very useful. I didn't have to sort through tons of tunes to get where I was going...

Good Stuff. I'm all in. but wouldn't it be nice to process your guitar and vocals through the iPad too?

• Members

Good Stuff. I'm all in. but wouldn't it be nice to process your guitar and vocals through the iPad too?

I use a little Mackie mixer and doesn't bother me...it all ends of in the Bose. I'm just "not there" yet with trusting computers/IPad for my overall sound. Don't get me wrong- my life is buried in technology. It's just my guitar and vox for live will probably always be external.

Archived