Acoustic: Last Time you...

Potts

• Members

When was the last time you cleaned your fretboard?

I use to  clean it with a toothbrush and murphy's oil soap every time I changed strings. Now I do it a few times a year. I have no idea if murphy's is good for the board or not but I don't care. So please don't lecture me; I've used it for 25+ years  ;)

• Members

I last broke a string in the late '70s.

I last cleaned my fretboard last time I had all the strings off at once--months or years ago. I do, though, clean off the face of my guitars fairly regularly, especially the Dobro. My budgie is attracted to his reflection and vomits seeds (sharing, ya know) for his mirror friend. Looks pretty nasty, though I appreciate his good intentions.

lklkj

• Members

I broke a string tuning my 10 year old son's guitar last week. (He needed to learn to re-string his guitar anyway :)  ) 

a friend of mine is a really good luthier and he keeps my guitars in top shape. Refretted when needed, cleaned, adjust the action or neck, 30,000 mile lube and check, and he goes over them at least twice a year.

• Members

Potts wrote:

When was the last time you cleaned your fretboard?

I use to  clean it with a toothbrush and murphy's oil soap every time I changed strings. Now I do it a few times a year. I have no idea if murphy's is good for the board or not but I don't care. So please don't lecture me; I've used it for 25+ years  
;)

Probably not often enough.  Bit I did find an interesting article from Gibson that made me feel a little better. They suggest no more than a couple of times a year. Obviously it would depend on use, fretboard wood type, and so on.  They even mention Murphy's soap in there somewhere.  http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/guitar-cleaning-0104-2011.aspx

Archived