Electric Guitar into a Bose.. any tips?

Shaster

• Members

I'm doing a short solo jazz guitar gig at a Mr. Fancy Pants hotel tomorrow.  They have a two tower Bose system and a Mackie mixer.  I respect each and every person that uses Bose but I have never had a good time with them because of their healthy amount of mid presence - not my cup of tea.  Besides the obvious move of dumping the mids on the mixer, does anyone know or use a preset that somewhat tames that Bose midrange.  I almost need an anti clarity setting so I blend in with the piano guys that usually play there - and don't use the system BTW. the Bose PA is normally used for the duos and trios that play there at night.

Naturally I thought of just bringing an amp but these guys are uptight, and want me to use the system because they paid their money and don't want to see any other gear there.

I can usually get a good sound out of anything, but there's no harm in asking.

• Members

I swear by my Bose but this is a lousy situation. In the past I've used mine in conjunction with a pod and got a great sound. I can't imagine just plugging in and expecting the tone you want. Sorry....

• Members

Well 

Many would use some sort of preamp.

Others would use some modeling device ( fancy preamp ) whether it be table top, pocket-size  or pedal.

A good direct box or simple 1/4 to XLR transformer , at least to get the impedance close .

Radio Shack direct

Assuming that you don't have any of these things, ( how should I know?) These little Radio shack things are handy when you have to plug into a mixer.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062444&filterName=Price&filterValue=\%2410.00+-+\%2449.99

• Members

Using an amp similation effect will work great IMO. I was using a Bose L1 house PA a few years ago with my tele going thru a sansamp PSA-1 and it sounded great. It actually sounded like I was playing thru a guitar amp.

If you wanna cut down on mids an EQ is obviously a possible solution. For a clean Jazz tone I would have no complaints using my Boss FDR-1 pedal. Going straight into the PA isn't suggested.

• Moderators

Shaster wrote: Naturally I thought of just bringing an amp but these guys are uptight, and want me to use the system because they paid their money and don't want to see any other gear there.

I can
usually
get a good sound out of anything, but there's no harm in asking.

Did you explain to them about the complicated presets on the Bose and how much time it might take to get a decent sound due to their gear? Bring the amp with you, fiddle with their system, tell them it doesn't work with your guitar and go from there... ;)

It was very difficult for me to resist the correct answer to "Electric guitar into a Bose...any tips?"...let's just say it started with 'are you swinging it leftie or rightie?'... ;)

• Members

daddymack wrote:

Shaster wrote: Naturally I thought of just bringing an amp but these guys are uptight, and want me to use the system because they paid their money and don't want to see any other gear there.

I can
usually
get a good sound out of anything, but there's no harm in asking.

Did you explain to them about the complicated presets on the Bose and how much time it might take to get a decent sound due to their gear? Bring the amp with you, fiddle with their system, tell them it doesn't work with your guitar and go from there...
;)

It was very difficult for me to resist the correct answer to "Electric guitar into a Bose...any tips?"...let's just say it started with 'are you swinging it leftie or rightie?'...
;)

Yeah, that could be taken a few ways >

This place is a little strict. It's the kind of chain where the musician isn't encouraged or often allowed to sit in the lounge area.  When I played their sister hotel I wasn't even allowed to drink coffee unless it was in the kitchen or staff room! And it's bad enough I'm not playing their $150k (or close to) piano, I'd better at least use their PA... - but hey a gig is a gig, and I'm very happy to have it. http://www.fairmont.com/pacific-rim-vancouver/dining/lobbyloungeandterrace/

I will be bringing a pre-amp, and will see about the suggested Bose presets. So I'll just see how it goes.  Many thanks to all for their tips and suggestions.

Archived