I've been rehearsing with a chick singer.

Bob Dey

• Members

I've been rehearsing with a chick singer. She tends to pick newer songs 2000+ and I'm picking mostly 50s-70s. About half the songs end up getting scraped for various reasons. Either she decides she doesn't wanna do the song, or I decide not to. She's pretty good on some songs, but has problems if there's too much range (low to high).

The songs with guy/girl harmony (Cruisin', Unforgettable} are too much (PITA) work at this point. My philosophy has always been to put together easy songs at first. That way it's possible to start gigging sooner instead of ending up rehearsing so long that you give up. It's also my view to do songs that people know and like for the same reason. The last two songs she's suggested are a bit obscure and I told her so. 

I've spent a lot of time tweaking the background tracks of songs that end up getting scraped. So my next plan is to start with acoustic guitar and vocal first. We've recorded a bit and she's very critical of her voice which is good in a way, but if she's flat on a couple of notes she just wants to to scrap the song. 

So anyway, I'm thinking this venture isn't working out. I may have to find a way to call it quits.

• Members

Well, sorry to hear. I've been doing acoustic with my sis inlaw. Everything's going very well,acoustic songs ect.. Need some more practice to get the harmonies tight. Unfortunately my women HATES this idea and has put the breaks on it. Looks like its just me again.

• Members

Sorry...It would never happen. I don't understand the appeal of female singer fronted bands unless it's all about the female singer. Why would I want a woman singing mostly male songs. There's nothing worse. Go over to BSWTB and they all have female fronted bands. 

• Moderators

Bob, it sounds like she is far less experienced and far less musically skilled than you.  Either one of those issues would be a red flag for me.  I have worked with a number of female vocalists over the years, and 99.9% of them want to be 'the show'; the other .1% wind up being too shy to perform, and after months of preparation they bail at the last minute.

It is hard enough to to create a musical parnership. 

Does this woman play an instrument? I'm guessing not...or she would understand how much work goes into the songs.

• Members

daddymack wrote:

Bob, it sounds like she is far less experienced and far less musically skilled than you.  Either one of those issues would be a red flag for me.  I have worked with a number of female vocalists over the years, and 99.9% of them want to be 'the show'; the other .1% wind up being too shy to perform, and after months of preparation they bail at the last minute.

It is hard enough to to create a musical parnership. 

Does this woman play an instrument? I'm guessing not...or she would understand how much work goes into the songs.

You got that right Daddy. She did a stint with one band 30 years ago. Other than that she's done karaoke. She is the shy 1% lacking stage experience. She has a good voice on some songs, but I guess she's more about having potential than being there already. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but it looks like I have to drop her so I can concentrate on something more productive.

• Members

Women are nothing but trouble, Bob, you know that.

Seriously,

I think you have enough experience and a strong enough gut instinct to know whether someone - male or female - has what it takes to be a Pro performer.

I think you know in your gut that she isn't the right partner.

Just nip it in the bud now. Say you are sorry bit it's not working.

And Pottsy, I sing 'The Boy From Ipanema' - I think it's original title was 'The Girl From Ipanema' - nobody even raises an eyebrow.

A good song is a good song - and a little change of gender here and there is ok in my book!

• Members

Bob Dey wrote:

... she's very critical of her voice which is good in a way, but if she's flat on a couple of notes she just wants to to scrap the song. 

Is she signing for musicians in a concert hall or is she singing in a bar band?

• Members

toober wrote:

Bob Dey wrote:

... she's very critical of her voice which is good in a way, but if she's flat on a couple of notes she just wants to to scrap the song. 

Is she signing for musicians in a concert hall or is she singing in a bar band?

It may be because her brother is a very good Country pickin' guitarist. I told her the same thing. We're making a demo to get gigs, not a CD that will be sold in stores.

Archived