Guitar and Backing Track Interface for Live Use with Ipad

wardjames

• Members

Hi everyone. I'm just starting the process of putting together a rig for live use. I'd like to make it ipad based for easy of carry/setup. I've found that planning this stuff out a little prior to buying stuff tends to lead to paying about 1/2 the cost in the end, so I thought I'd start here.

Plan is to play as a solo, and eventually maybe a duo with a pedal steel player, to backing tracks. I'd like to control song selection on my Ipad using Onsong. I'd like to run my guitar through amplink or irig (or something similar) through the Ipad as well.

First question is what interface should I use for (1) getting the guitar sound into the Ipad and (2) getting the guitar sound and backing tracks into the PA mixer. I could also use my iphone for the guitar if doing both is too difficult.

Ideas? Questions?

• Members

The recent IK Multimedia iRig Stomp works very well for this purpose.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstomp/

I would vote IK MultiMedia Amplitube for IOS and iRig Stomp among the most improved products. The earlier versions had lots of latency and the original passive iRig Guitar Interface was extremely prone to self oscillating Feedback anytime you used a high gain amp model in Amplitube.

Big difference today - This went from dreadful to wonderful thanks to the new iRig Stomp. Its an Active preamp, runs on a battery, has a great set of user I/O, and works very well with the latest version of Amplitube IOS  - which has added controls to adjust latency, self oscillation feedback eliminator,a nd all other IOS Apps too!

I may try to use the Apple USB Camera adapter and Logidy UMI-3 for remote footswitch control.

EDIT:

iRig Stomp still has too much background hiss that becomes a problem with noise gates and long held guitar notes. so scratch that one off your list.

At this hour - I much prefer the Sonuus i2M+Apple CCK with my iPad Mini using JamUp Pro

http://sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp.html

Amazon For $134

http://www.amazon.com/Sonuus-Products-i2M-Musicport-Converter/dp/B004B4S6HA

• Members

Thanks, that was one of the ones I was looking at. I'm always going to be usinga boost pedal for solos, so I doubt I'll ever be free from using a pedal board, so this would work.

Can anyone comment on the fact that this thing goes through the headphone jack of the ipad or iphone, rather than the pin interface part? Does this cause extra noise? The iriffport is a similar product, but a lot of the reviews say it's superior because it doesn't go through the headphone jack.

Thanks,

• Members

Elantric,

Thanks for the info, I'm going to grab one today and see how it goes.

Potts,

I can understand that it's a big potential risk using the iPad. However, I'm just starting to dip my toes into the solo thing, so I'm working some real low pressure venues, so I've got some time to work out the kinks. Plus, I really envision the iPad or at least the computer based show becoming the standard. I eventually plan on doing Country tribute artist shows with tracks, lights, etc. all controlled electronically.

Ward

• Members

With Darrell on putting everything through the iPad, it would scare me. I use it for OnSong and BTs, both things I could carry on without. Vocal and guitar effects are through a TC Helicon Voicelive Play GTX. Each to their own but that works for me. Very interested to see how you get on though.

Cheers Steve

• Members

wardjames wrote:

Elantric,

Thanks for the info, I'm going to grab one today and see how it goes.

Potts,

I can understand that it's a big potential risk using the iPad. However, I'm just starting to dip my toes into the solo thing, so I'm working some real low pressure venues, so I've got some time to work out the kinks. Plus, I really envision the iPad or at least the computer based show becoming the standard. I eventually plan on doing Country tribute artist shows with tracks, lights, etc. all controlled electronically.

Ward

Yeah Ward- I'm with Steve. Make sure you keep us informed! I'd love to hear how this all works out too!

Archived