OK, I'm making phone calls

Bob Dey

• Members

There are quite a few places that only have entertainment during the summer here. This is the time to make calls to new venues and try to get some new places to play.  I'm also sending emails with a link to my website to some venues. Any tips on getting booked in these places before someone else grabs all the dates?

• Members

xrleroyx wrote:

Do it faster than everyone else. Include examples of your work. Be prepared to not get paid a lot, if at all.

I don't buy that one bit.

Just sell yourself Bob. Call attention to the fact that you've got X amount of gigs under your belt, you know hundreds of tunes, your fairly priced and you'll work with the venue if they have an other than stellar night. 

• Members

Hi Bob, you have a lot more experience than I do, but I have had a high success rate with first sending a snail mail letter with an offer to play music at a slightly reduced rate, and include a couple of venues for references.  In the letter, I will mention the email that I will send, and the phone call that I will make.  I will then email some information about me (much like Darrell's as seen above), followed up with a phone call 1-2 days later.  I will always ask if they received my letter and email, and have they had a chance to look over it.  I suppose you just have to be confident in your ability to sell yourself when speaking on the phone, without overdoing it - but this threefold attack has worked wonderfully for me.  I don't recall the last time a venue said no.

I wish you luck!

Luke

• Members

Boosha wrote:

Hi Bob, you have a lot more experience than I do, but I have had a high success rate with first sending a snail mail letter with an offer to play music at a slightly reduced rate, and include a couple of venues for references.  In the letter, I will mention the email that I will send, and the phone call that I will make.  I will then email some information about me (much like Darrell's as seen above), followed up with a phone call 1-2 days later.  I will always ask if they received my letter and email, and have they had a chance to look over it.  I suppose you just have to be confident in your ability to sell yourself when speaking on the phone, without overdoing it - but this threefold attack has worked wonderfully for me.  I don't recall the last time a venue said no.

I wish you luck!

Luke

Can I just concentrate on one thing? It's hard for me to see folks having a race to the bottom of the price barrel. I mean let's say you get the gig because of a reduced rate, and then the guy after you gets the gig because of a reduced rate and so on. Of course it's a dog eat dog world and if someone wants to offer you less than what you're worth, economic times might dictate that you take the offer.  But to offer to play for less before they ask?  Well I don't know. I suppose we all do what we feel we need to do...

Hey Bob D. would it be worth your while to do the email, website, flyer... and then set up a round of talks.  In another words are you personable in person? If so a follow up trip might be a way to sew up some gigs - especially if you can get to see multiple venues.

Sixty miles might seem far, but a recent thread that involved some discussion of LA reminded me of something. Back in the early nineties, when I was playing in Irvine, we would drive over an hour to go to Canter's Deli (off of Fairfax IIRC). Two hours for a corned beef sandwich or two hours for a gig? Of course now that I'm older, I'm not sure I'd walk across the street for a sandwich :)

• Members

Bob Dey wrote:

There are quite a few places that only have entertainment during the summer here. This is the time to make calls to new venues and try to get some new places to play.  I'm also sending emails with a link to my website to some venues. Any tips on getting booked in these places before someone else grabs all the dates?

I would say you are kinda late for just starting.

• Members

Boosha wrote:

I wish you luck!

Luke

Snail mail, email, phone call? If I was a busy bar owner/manager, I would just tell you no based on the amount of my valuable time you already wasted. Make a call or a drop by in person as first communication to prove you are willing to show up and want to get the deal done with minimal hassle on the owner/managers part. Ask previous places you've played if they could put a word in for you with any of their other bar/club friends. It would be easier to tag along if somebody elses' foot is already in the door.

Archived