Singers: How do you prepare?

SLScott86

• Members

I'm sure this exists on the singers forum, but in the spirit of helping this one... What do you guys and gals do to prepare your voices for a three to four hour gig?

I always have had issues with congestion. Just one of those things. I've gone through trying a lot of different things. But my current regimen that seems to work well is using a neti pot regularly, and on days when I have to sing, warming up with a couple exercises, song run-throughs, and multiple cups of peppermint tea. I drink it like water, only faster. The mint and steam seem to be a pretty potent combination for keeping me clear and loose.

• Members

I like singing to vocal excercise tracks in the car on the way to the gig. That usually gives me an hour of down time after I warm up, which is nice, IMO.

I like to have a few bottles of warm water beforehand, to clear up any congestion. I'll also use vocal ease at the gig if I'm having any throat issues.

• Members

It's what I don't do. I quit smoking cigarettes about two years ago-- that was a good start. I don't drink so that's also a good start. I also realized that drinking coke is about the worse thing I could ever do so I changed to water. I then realized that cold water was horrible for me so I drink room temp water.

I also just started taking more breaks. Playing  out to what averages to be about every other day gets a little tough some times. So now I do 60 on 15 off , 45 on and 15 off and then wrap up another 45.

• Members

Ideally, I try to be well-rested and well-hydrated, and it's best if I can warm up a few hours beforehand.  I have vocal exercise tracks that I use for that.  I try to eat beforehand, and not too much.  Also, I try to avoid talking a lot.  And I avoid alcohol and caffeine, or if I'm in a situation where it really seems like I should have a beer, I'll have the lightest, lowest alcohol, wimpiest beer available.  But by choice, I'll have water.  For some reason eating juicy carrots also seems to help.  

• Members

That's generally how I go for set pacing. But I ramp things up quickly- Once I yell a little bit I'm much more ready to sing more softly.

I wish I could do the same on the rock band side. I'm the " face of the band" most of the time at the merch table. So I end up talking a ton before hand. The good thing is we're normally in support and I can still just go all out and get through a half hour and be done.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I don't know. Given the choice between a good voice at the beginning or a good voice at the end, I'm going to go with the time when people aren't drunk.

I don't know either...If I had to worry about one night that would suck. I'm on 7 in 10 days. I could care less about tonight- I'm worried WTF I'll sound like on Saturday.  ;)

Archived