Would you listen to this at a picnic?

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

Assuming we dont suck of course. We're an acoustic duo whos been "in the garage" for a couple of yrs. We're finally gonna go public. About a year a go we picked up a good tasteful drummer with a small kit, so now we're a trio.

Occasion: Company picnic in the park. Only one small Roland AC30 on battery power for vocs. Everything else is acoustic all the way. 2 Martins. I play upright bass on about 1/2 the stuff, harp and banjo on a couple of tunes. Hence the "guitar" or "bass" headings. Trying to pace things well given our repretoire and allow for smooth transitions.

Guitar

1. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

2. Norwegian Wood

3. Runaway

4. The Letter

5. Daydream

6. When You Walk In The Room

Bass

7. I've Just Seen a Face

8. Mr. Spaceman

9. Donna

10. Dream

11. Help

12. Heart of Gold (harp)

13. Blackbird (banjo)

Guitar

14. To Love Somebody

15. Michelle

16. Dream Lover

17. And I Love Her

18. Let it Be Me

19. Secret Agent Man

Bass

21. Don't Think Twice

22. Last Kiss

23. Whiskey in the Jar

24. Hey Jude

• Moderators

Bob Dey wrote:

I love the '60s too, but you may want to add a few newer songs for a mixed age group. A couple from the '80s and '90s would be good IMO.

Agreed...also I thing Secret Agent Man on acoustic is going to be kind of, well, meh...add some Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Gin Blossoms, Matchbox 20, Hootie and the B-fish...there is plenty of adaptable material (I'm guilty of the same problem, though)

• Members

Being the guy I am, I wouldn't change a thing. From the set list, people should be able to grasp the fact that you are a retro 60's acoustic act. IMHO play the bag you're into. Of course if you like all kinds of music then play all kinds.

In any case, it looks like great picnic music to me.

• Members

Thanks all. I'm kinda agreeing about Secret Agent, will prob stike that one. I doubt we'll have time to get thru the whole list anyhow. But if we do have time, we can put in "As Tears Go By". Forgot about that one.

I like Secret Agent cause I get to sing it and I love Johnny Rivers. But its really a better tune for the 4 piece. See, we got another guy, the son of the other guitar player, who plays with us sometimes but he's not gonna make this. He play his Jag and does some leads on the stuff I play bass on, and plays a Precision on my guitar tunes and on a lot of other stuff we can do but I left off the list, the more rocking 60s #s like Kicks, Double Shot of My Babys Love, Poison Ivey, etc. 

I ain't too worried about not having any more modern material, this is what we do. Besides most of the folks that will be there are as old as we are. It's Redstone Arsenal's "Team Building" day, and our little party of 20-30 people will just be one of several groups picnicing in the park. Hence no amplifiers, and just the little Roland to boost the vocs a bit. We are fortunate to have a drummer who can pull this off, blend in and not drown us out.

Hopefully we can get someone to iPhone video us and get decent quality sound. THat will come in handy for demo purposes.

• Members

Pine Apple Slim wrote:

Assuming we dont suck of course. We're an acoustic duo whos been "in the garage" for a couple of yrs. We're finally gonna go public. About a year a go we picked up a good tasteful drummer with a small kit, so now we're a trio.

Occasion: Company picnic in the park. Only one small Roland AC30 on battery power for vocs. Everything else is acoustic all the way. 2 Martins. I play upright bass on about 1/2 the stuff, harp and banjo on a couple of tunes. Hence the "guitar" or "bass" headings. Trying to pace things well given our repretoire and allow for smooth transitions.

Guitar

1. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

2. Norwegian Wood

3. Runaway

4. The Letter

5. Daydream

6. When You Walk In The Room

Bass

7. I've Just Seen a Face

8. Mr. Spaceman

9. Donna

10. Dream

11. Help

12. Heart of Gold (harp)

13. Blackbird (banjo)

Guitar

14. To Love Somebody

15. Michelle

16. Dream Lover

17. And I Love Her

18. Let it Be Me

19. Secret Agent Man

Bass

21. Don't Think Twice

22. Last Kiss

23. Whiskey in the Jar

24. Hey Jude

Excellent set list, but I'm wondering if you don't need just a little more amplification...Did a "Luau-B-Q" quite recently (basically, a Bar B Q where everyone wore Hawaiian shirts and the hosts had hired some Hula dancers), and with a crowd of about 35, aged averaging around 45 yoa, I used my Crate Limo 50, on a tripod for my guitar, uke, harps and voice, my bassist used a 50-watt Crate 1 X 12" bass combo, run at maybe 30%, and my percussionist/harmony singer sang through my other Limo 50, also on a tripod, and we got several requests to "turn up, just a little".

Archived