X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you listen to this at a picnic?

Assuming we dont suck of course. We're an acoustic duo whos been "in the garage" for a couple of yrs. We're finally gonna go public. About a year a go we picked up a good tasteful drummer with a small kit, so now we're a trio.

Occasion: Company picnic in the park. Only one small Roland AC30 on battery power for vocs. Everything else is acoustic all the way. 2 Martins. I play upright bass on about 1/2 the stuff, harp and banjo on a couple of tunes. Hence the "guitar" or "bass" headings. Trying to pace things well given our repretoire and allow for smooth transitions.

Guitar
    1. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
    2. Norwegian Wood
    3. Runaway
    4. The Letter
    5. Daydream
    6. When You Walk In The Room

Bass
    7. I've Just Seen a Face
    8. Mr. Spaceman
    9. Donna
    10. Dream
    11. Help

12. Heart of Gold (harp)
    13. Blackbird (banjo)

Guitar
    14. To Love Somebody
    15. Michelle
    16. Dream Lover
    17. And I Love Her
    18. Let it Be Me
    19. Secret Agent Man

Bass
    21. Don't Think Twice
    22. Last Kiss
    23. Whiskey in the Jar
    24. Hey Jude

That's a great setlist!!!!
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.justdarrell.com" target="_blank">Just Darrell Web Site</a></div>

Comment

I love the '60s too, but you may want to add a few newer songs for a mixed age group. A couple from the '80s and '90s would be good IMO.

Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

Comment

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment

Bob Dey wrote:

I love the '60s too, but you may want to add a few newer songs for a mixed age group. A couple from the '80s and '90s would be good IMO.

Agreed...also I thing Secret Agent Man on acoustic is going to be kind of, well, meh...add some Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Gin Blossoms, Matchbox 20, Hootie and the B-fish...there is plenty of adaptable material (I'm guilty of the same problem, though)

Being the guy I am, I wouldn't change a thing. From the set list, people should be able to grasp the fact that you are a retro 60's acoustic act. IMHO play the bag you're into. Of course if you like all kinds of music then play all kinds.

In any case, it looks like great picnic music to me.

Comment

• Pine Apple Slim
        Pine Apple Slim commented
        Editing a comment

Thanks all. I'm kinda agreeing about Secret Agent, will prob stike that one. I doubt we'll have time to get thru the whole list anyhow. But if we do have time, we can put in "As Tears Go By". Forgot about that one.

I like Secret Agent cause I get to sing it and I love Johnny Rivers. But its really a better tune for the 4 piece. See, we got another guy, the son of the other guitar player, who plays with us sometimes but he's not gonna make this. He play his Jag and does some leads on the stuff I play bass on, and plays a Precision on my guitar tunes and on a lot of other stuff we can do but I left off the list, the more rocking 60s #s like Kicks, Double Shot of My Babys Love, Poison Ivey, etc. 

I ain't too worried about not having any more modern material, this is what we do. Besides most of the folks that will be there are as old as we are. It's Redstone Arsenal's "Team Building" day, and our little party of 20-30 people will just be one of several groups picnicing in the park. Hence no amplifiers, and just the little Roland to boost the vocs a bit. We are fortunate to have a drummer who can pull this off, blend in and not drown us out.

Hopefully we can get someone to iPhone video us and get decent quality sound. THat will come in handy for demo purposes.

Pine Apple Slim wrote:

Assuming we dont suck of course. We're an acoustic duo whos been "in the garage" for a couple of yrs. We're finally gonna go public. About a year a go we picked up a good tasteful drummer with a small kit, so now we're a trio.

Occasion: Company picnic in the park. Only one small Roland AC30 on battery power for vocs. Everything else is acoustic all the way. 2 Martins. I play upright bass on about 1/2 the stuff, harp and banjo on a couple of tunes. Hence the "guitar" or "bass" headings. Trying to pace things well given our repretoire and allow for smooth transitions.

Guitar
      1. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
      2. Norwegian Wood
      3. Runaway
      4. The Letter
      5. Daydream
      6. When You Walk In The Room

Bass
      7. I've Just Seen a Face
      8. Mr. Spaceman
      9. Donna
      10. Dream
      11. Help

12. Heart of Gold (harp)
      13. Blackbird (banjo)

Guitar
      14. To Love Somebody
      15. Michelle
      16. Dream Lover
      17. And I Love Her
      18. Let it Be Me
      19. Secret Agent Man

Bass
      21. Don't Think Twice
      22. Last Kiss
      23. Whiskey in the Jar
      24. Hey Jude

Excellent set list, but I'm wondering if you don't need just a little more amplification...Did a "Luau-B-Q" quite recently (basically, a Bar B Q where everyone wore Hawaiian shirts and the hosts had hired some Hula dancers), and with a crowd of about 35, aged averaging around 45 yoa, I used my Crate Limo 50, on a tripod for my guitar, uke, harps and voice, my bassist used a 50-watt Crate 1 X 12" bass combo, run at maybe 30%, and my percussionist/harmony singer sang through my other Limo 50, also on a tripod, and we got several requests to "turn up, just a little".

Comment

• pogo97
        pogo97 commented
        Editing a comment

I'll counter with: if you can do it (almost) acoustically, then do. So much simpler and I find that people accomodate their behaviour to what's there. Plus, your instruments are all good loud 'uns.

Working...
    X