Off To Gig In Europe Sunday

sventvkg

• Members

Yup...It's that time again..After 3 1/2 years, I'm going back to Europe to do a month on a DFDS Ship from Copenhagen to Oslo than 18 days in Copenhagen..some of those gigs will be doubles!! So at least 50 gigs in 2 months, solo...The ship is 5, 45 min sets a day 32 days straight..No days off!...Ya really have to pace yourself on these gigs..I do not scream, I do not sing hard, I consciously think about really relaxing and using technique. Diet, proper hydration, no alcohol and sleep are of the utmost importance I have found..I've done this particular gig about a dozen times over the years and I've learned how to do it...

I don't use tracks as they are frowned upon in N Europe but I got the TC Helicon voicelive GTX Box and I love it! Will use it for Looping and some harmonies to taste. :)

Anwyay, if anyone has an questions about the gigs over there or what I'm doing I'll do my best to answer...

P.S.  The reason I took the gig again after these years is because I miss playing, wanted to make some cash and really the main reason was I wanted to fly my wife over and take her to Italy! LORD KNOWS she deserves it as she's been working her ass off full time keeping this family going for 2+ years since we moved to Nashville! It should be a fun time! 

Let me know what ya'll are up to this summer and have fun!!!

Sean

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

I don't use tracks as they are frowned upon in N Europe but I got the TC Helicon voicelive GTX Box and I love it! Will use it for Looping and some harmonies to taste.
:)

Anwyay, if anyone has an questions about the gigs over there or what I'm doing I'll do my best to answer...

Sean

I have a question, when you say no alcohol does that include Tuborg beer?  I was in Finland about 25 years ago and I still remember how good the Tuborg was over there - it seemed much different than the stuff in Canada or the U.S.A..

Okay here's a serious question, when you say tracks, does that include a drum machine? I've been noticing some backlash against tracks for some time now, but often folks seem fine with a drum machine. Just curious what the ship situation is.

And I've been looking at loopers, just today actually. I normally use tracks so I can solo, but I've got one gig that doesn't want anything, and I'm wondering if I can sneak a looper in - or if I even want to.

Anyway have a great time! Good call taking your wife BTW. A long time ago, I took my 1st wife on the Alaska cruise while I was working. That went over big time, she loved it.

• Members

Shaster wrote:

sventvkg wrote:

I don't use tracks as they are frowned upon in N Europe but I got the TC Helicon voicelive GTX Box and I love it! Will use it for Looping and some harmonies to taste.
:)

Sean

I have a question, when you say no alcohol does that include Tuborg beer?  I was in Finland about 25 years ago and I still remember how good the Tuborg was over there - it seemed much different than the stuff in Canada or the U.S.A..

Okay here's a serious question, when you say tracks, does that include a drum machine? I've been noticing some backlash against tracks for some time now, but often folks seem fine with a drum machine. Just curious what the ship situation is.

And I've been looking at loopers, just today actually. I normally use tracks so I can solo, but I've got one gig that doesn't want anything, and I'm wondering if I can sneak a looper in - or if I even want to.

Anyway have a great time! Good call taking your wife BTW. A long time ago, I took my 1st wife on the Alaska cruise while I was working. That went over big time, she loved it.

Tuborg is AWESOME and so is Carlsberg in Denmark! But they dont' let us drink on the ship..When i'm off it during the day strolling around Copenhagen or Oslo I can do what I please though but i'm much more apt to go drink some coffee:) I'll have my share of good beer after the ship gig and i'm playing on dry land:)

As far as tracks, drum machine or ANY occompaniment, I've never seen or heard of anyone using it over there. It's just not done. They have a strong and old tradition of a Troubadour with an acoustic guitar and singing. That's what they expect when they go to see someone playing solo..They have bands and they have DJ's as well..They just don't have anything else. I'm sure someday it will make it's way over but not yet. Looping is pretty common though but most are BAD at it!

Yea i'm SO looking forward to Italy..That and the time OFF the ship during the days and after the gig in the mild Nordic summer, is really why I took the gig..The ship just makes it financially worth while....

That said, this is the lowest I have ever seen the Euro since I first started going over there in Jan. 2008 :( I'm getting hammered on conversion when I get my money..Let's hope it goes up so I end up with more dollars in my account when I get paid!! :) Have a great summer all!

• Moderators

Shaster wrote:

Good call taking your wife BTW. A long time ago, I took my 1st wife on the Alaska cruise while I was working. That went over big time, she loved it.

apparently not big time enough if she was your 1st wife...;)

In Sven's case though, he is going to be gone a long time, so a little R&R with the missus seems likea great idea.

Sven how did you hook up this gig? An agency? Or your Viking heritage? ;)

Archived