OnSong, Voice Live Play GTX, and MIDI

Weird Uncle Tim

• Members

Success!
But I've got bruises on my shins from jumping through so many hoops...
After an email to TC Helicon, and one to OnSong, and LOTS of trial and error, the GTX obeys my OnSong!
If any one else wants to try this with the same set up I can save you lots of time.
Instead of using the meta data menu like the folks at OnSong advised, just enter {midi: ###@0} near the top of your raw song chart using the meta data editor.
Just insert the preset number before the "@" in the string. So {midi: 111@0} would give you preset 112 (remember that MIDI channels start at "0", not "1")

Now when I call up a song sheet from OnSong on my iPad, my GTX pedal automatically switches to the right preset. So I don't have to have an awkward silence while I get my pedal set up!

Remember that technology works best when it is invisible.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by deanmass View Post
I wonder if I can make it work with my voice live touch? I have one of the 4 switch footpedals ordered from OnSong.
I just looked at the manual online. Looks like it is definitely possible!

I almost went with the Touch because I don't like bending down on stage (not pretty at my age).

Let me know how you like the pedals. I went with a cheaper version (PageFlip) and I am not happy. It works intermittently and I can't seem to nail down what is causing it. I will probably end up going with the AirTurn Pedals that OnSong sells.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McLaughlin

View Post

Glad to hear! Are you also able to toggle the harmony on/off during the song using midi commands?

Yes, but I don't use backing tracks so I don't know how I would get it to trigger at the right time. Also I find that I am still finding my way with the harmony so I like the ability to trigger the harmony "on the fly". Some times I just use the harmony at the end of a phrase or even the last word in the phrase. What I am really enjoying is changing chords while holding a note and hearing the harmony adjust. (Try it with a sus or a seventh chord...you'll like it!)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Weird Uncle Tim View Post
Yes, but I don't use backing tracks so I don't know how I would get it to trigger at the right time. Also I find that I am still finding my way with the harmony so I like the ability to trigger the harmony "on the fly". Some times I just use the harmony at the end of a phrase or even the last word in the phrase. What I am really enjoying is changing chords while holding a note and hearing the harmony adjust. (Try it with a sus or a seventh chord...you'll like it!)
Yeah, it's cool to hold a note while changing chords in certain songs, and it is a delight to your ears. My old digitech vocalist 4 would follow the guitar changes too.

I used to tap dance with the digitech turning the harmony on/off at certain parts of the song, I would get cramps from hovering one foot over the pedal. But since I use backing tracks, and knew the spots in each song that I wanted to toggle on/off when I used the old digitech, it took me about a minute per song to program all the midi commands for the TC unit. I love it!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi Guys,
This thread seems to be the closest to what I'm looking to be able to do, or perhaps someone here can help direct me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance!
I want to run audio tracks on a program and be able to have that program also trigger midi commands on an external reverb and/or delay unit.
( I have a lexicon pcm 90 reverb and an old yamaha rev500)
( I currently edit my audio files and burn to CD's with wavelab 6 but don't know anything about midi at all).
I guess it could run effects from my PC laptop computer software. Running windows XP on an old laptop but willing to upgrade if needed. My intention is to get a windows 7 laptop running only the show and a 2nd back up computer.

so it's live vocals to tracks with ability to trigger on/off and/or adjust reverb settings with custom settings for each songs at times. Delay on some songs and not on others, more delay on some. Maybe a multi-effect unit would be better than 2 separate units?
Do I need a usb/midi interface device?

how the heck do I do this?! I'm computer literate but This is my first time ever dealing with midi or programming anything like this.
High quality, Compatibility and reliability are key since it's often out of town corporate events.

It would be great to add midi later and/or run the show with a keyboard player and eventually more musicians....
Thanks for any and all help!
Larry
http://www.LasVegasActs.com

• Members

You'll need a midi interface and a program that has midi and audio tracks. One of the cakewalk programs should work. The only thing is you'll have to load one song into the program at a time which will make time between songs a little longer than just using an mp3 playback program like itunes. I used to program midi commands to change effects with the on board sequencer on a midi keyboard. Once I started using a laptop for BT I stopped doing that. But it was pretty cool having reverb switch to an echo effect at the exact time I wanted it to. I used the alesis midverb 3 and it worked great.

• Members

Hi and thanks Bob,
I was thinking about getting Sonar from cakewalk....perhaps I can control midi, edit audio, and burn CDs with markers (for backup) with it....?
Does anyone recommend running effects for vocals from the computer VS external units via midi,

to mix vocals and tracks with live with effects for the vocals like this, do I need a small usb connected mixer..... or just an interface with a couple of xlr mic inputs that might be controlled by a 'mixer' on the computer using sonar (vs sliders and gain knobs on a usb mixer).... I guess it would also need midi in/outputs if I used an external reverb?

thanks everyone!
Larry

• Members

WOW! I thought my set up was complicated! By way of an update; After the first couple of gigs I realized that I needed to simplify. I use the harmony sparingly or not at all based on the feedback I get from the crowd. I think we like to believe all our little tweaks make a difference, but maybe that's just for us...

• Members

Larry, I use the odd backing track which are played on an ipad mounted on the mike stand, these are triggered by a touch of the screen at the moment but am looking to use a pedal in the future. The track then runs through a TC Helicon Voicelive play GTX which has more vocal effects built in than you can shake a stick at, including harmonies and delays. Although this unit allows for Midi controls to turn on and off these effects, I use the built in pedal to switch them on and off. When I do the odd song without my guitar and am hand holding the mike, I use the built in button on the mike to control the effects.
Overall so far I have found this the simplist and most flexible way of both playing tracks and mixing in vocal effects.
Cheers Steve

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SingingComedian View Post
Hey Steve! - What kind of mic has a button that controls effects?!
If I could get something like that onto my wireless mic that would be great.
I guessed that it might be good for you after your description. It's a http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/mp-75/
To be honest I hardly use the button feature as I usually have a guitar around my neck and am therefore close to the foot switches. I bought it because I wanted the basic TCHelicon mike and it was only a few bucks more to get the control switch built in. Great mike BTW
Cheers Steve

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey View Post
One of the cakewalk programs should work. The only thing is you'll have to load one song into the program at a time which will make time between songs a little longer than just using an mp3 playback program like itunes.
Sonar allows you to set up playlists. The next song loads as soon as the current song ends. There are options to start the next song immediately, after so many seconds, or wait for key press. Mine are all set to key press. The next song loads immediately, and I hit the spacebar to start playing when I'm ready. You can also rearrange the song order on the fly for requests, or to skip to a more appropriate song by drag and dropping the order of the playlist.

I use the TC voicelive Play GTX as both an audio interface playing the Cakewalk DXI synth audio, and have a midi track sending the presets and toggle hit button on/off midi commands. The single USB connection can do both simultaneously. Since the GTX has guitar effects in addition to the harmony effects, I can switch presets mid-song to do a guitar solo, then back after the solo. I don't need a mixer, as the tracks, guitar, and mic all go through the GTX and I can mix on that.

I need to tackle set it and forget it lighting next! I figure DMXIS will work as a plug-in to Sonar, just need to pull the trigger and buy it. I just received a couple Chauvet LEDSplash 200B that I purchased from MF stupid deal of the day at $80 each.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike McLaughlin View Post
Sonar allows you to set up playlists. The next song loads as soon as the current song ends. There are options to start the next song immediately, after so many seconds, or wait for key press. Mine are all set to key press. The next song loads immediately, and I hit the spacebar to start playing when I'm ready. You can also rearrange the song order on the fly for requests, or to skip to a more appropriate song by drag and dropping the order of the playlist.

I use the TC voicelive Play GTX as both an audio interface playing the Cakewalk DXI synth audio, and have a midi track sending the presets and toggle hit button on/off midi commands. The single USB connection can do both simultaneously. Since the GTX has guitar effects in addition to the harmony effects, I can switch presets mid-song to do a guitar solo, then back after the solo. I don't need a mixer, as the tracks, guitar, and mic all go through the GTX and I can mix on that.

I need to tackle set it and forget it lighting next! I figure DMXIS will work as a plug-in to Sonar, just need to pull the trigger and buy it. I just received a couple Chauvet LEDSplash 200B that I purchased from MF stupid deal of the day at $80 each.
I just rented a Voicelive GTX but I'm thinking of returning it. I would never use the harmonizer or autotune, only the delay and reverb. And it's yet another wall wart to contend with. The guitar features are cool, and I've programmed half a dozen presets for guitar and vocal but I don't like to be locked in to an effect and sending midi commands would lock me in further.

Funny, back in the day my solo rig was a Roland MC50, two JV880's (with cards) an Alesis D4, a Marshall JMP1 guitar preamp, an SPX90II for guitar effects, and a Roland DEP for vocal effects. I had all kinds of control changes and sys ex messages for all that stuff. It would typically take four hours to sequence a tune and then half that to get the messages right, or tweaked.

Anyway I was almost set to "midify" my lights when I just lost interest in all that stuff. I was adding so many tunes per week that I was almost programming more than I was playing. And one night during this song, the solo came up, the distortion preset came on, and I realized I didn't want distortion, and I didn't wqant that slapback echo that came with it... I was tired of being told what to do by my own gear!

So I unplugged a few midi cables and liberated myself smile.gif

Still, thinking back it was fun to press go and the whole "band" stood to attention.

• Members

That's interesting Mike. I haven't used MIDI live in 6 or 7 years. And haven't used MIDI for efx program changes since the year 2000. I remember just using the midiverb as is when someone told me I could connect it to my sequencer/synth. I just thought it sounded too technical, but eventually read the manual and got into it a little. There so much that can be done with MIDI that I haven't messed with. I've been doing DMX programming for the last few years and haven't gotten fully into that either. Nevertheless, I've come up with some pretty nice light shows.

• Members

Actually, programming the midi commands (preset changes and harmony toggle on/off) took about 1 minute per song. Insert new midi track, select bank and preset, then I just opened up a piano roll window and mouse-clicked the on and off points for harmony in the song.

Someday when I have time, I may create a "how I do it" page like Bob "notes" Norton, LOL!

• Members
Actually, programming the midi commands (preset changes and harmony toggle on/off) took about 1 minute per song. Insert new midi track, select bank and preset, then I just opened up a piano roll window and mouse-clicked the on and off points for harmony in the song.

Someday when I have time, I may create a "how I do it" page like Bob "notes" Norton, LOL!
That's pretty efficient. It would take me a little longer (similar process, but maybe I'm slow), and then I would have to save it to my USB drive and then to my second laptop and main computer. Then I like to save the files online. So it's a longer process. And back when I was using an MC50 it took forever to save a file to three disks and my desktop computer - slowwwww

Speaking of online files. It's been a while since I backed up my high rotation files but back when I was travelling a fair bit, I would always have my my high rotation song sequences stored online. Then if anything had ever happened to my laptop, I could beg borrow or buy another one and just download my songs and carry on. Call me paranoid smile.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi there Tim, was hoping you'd be able to help me with setting this up with a Roland keyboard...i just tried what you suggested as metadata, which works great but does not switch between modes on the keyboard...if you're within the mode, it switches to the number defined...

Just tried to change banks with {midi:##} and it works! though it does not recognize the @ channel....and it doesn't matter what I make the channel it still assigns the bank, but this is only in a specific mode...ie lany single mode. I cannot select a tone within another mode, if i do change it to any other mode..., it selects the same ## in the mode i switched to. :-(

Please help, have been on the phone to Roland and written to Onsong...and not getting any answer....are you able to send me through the metadata menu you mentioned in your post? I can possibly try different combinations....please help.

Regards,
Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Does anyone know if it will work backwards? I'm interested to have a MIDI program change call up lyrics. So that the sequencer as it starts could automatically start the proper lyrics on my iPad and even scroll them in tempo.

• Members

I would also like to know this. I have a setup with a Gordius LG2 Footcontroller, Axe FX Ultra, TC Helicon Voice Live 2 and Onsong on ipad. I can make my choices in OnSong and all other devices do what they should. BUT - if I change a song with the Footcontroller I can not get OnSong to follow to the selected song.

I tried to set up the Metadata accordingly, I receive a correct testsignal on the respective button in OnSong Metaeditor but I can't make OnSong change the song (lyrics).

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi WeirdTim

I spent a lot of boring time with my Voicelive touch to get the same results as you described

but nothing works!

i have an ipad2 with irigmidi and followed your instructions using the meta data menu in onsong with the following parameter {midi: 56@0} but nothing happens;-((( no preset's changing

maybe it depends on MSB or LSB Settings??cause my voicetouch has 5 favorite banks with presets....

i tried this, too: {midi: 0.1. 56@0}, 0 for msb. 1 for lsb. and some other settings around

(the midi channel in voicelive is set to 1!!!) and the manual says, that program changes are possible, but

my voicelive won't obey. Midi data has been transferred , the light on irigmidi out flickers, when i choose the song in onsong

do you have any further idea??

or should i contact onsong and TC helicon support;-)))))))

regards

Heinz (germany)

Archived