Guitar electronics

SLScott86

• Members

What are you guys using for your electronics? And how much does it cost to change then? I have a Fishman acoustic Matrix that's built into my Guild and don't care for it. It sounds fine when dialed in. The problem is there's a tone knob and a volume knob with no reference markings (I know I could mark them), always getting moved. and the battery is a pain in the butt. And generally I'm just pretty ill-informed on the subject in general.

And a basic- how often does a battery typically hold up for you guys?

• Members

Note that I've basically looked up answers to most of these questions, and it seems changing out to something with handier access is pretty much out of the question. Now I guess it's a matter of setting it and marking it so I can not have to dial it in every time.

I'd still be curious to know what other people's preferences are.

• Moderators

the setting and marking is a good idea, and I agree that too many on-board acoustic systems fail to put reference marks on the knobs :smiley-angry002:

a small dot of white nail polish works wonders.

Changing systems is always going to be a PITA, since no two manufacturers use the exact same size cutout, same resistance, same voltages (I have a 3V, 6V and 9V), etc.,

At best, to replace everything, you would need to find one slightly larger in both axes (pronounced 'ax-ees', not ax-ez) and then make it fit...so yeah, not a great option. One of my guitars has a control/pre-amp that I find lacking at low volumes and I've tried to find a better replacement that will fit to no avail, because it was so large. I have found that putting one of the anti-feedback discs in the soundhole has allowed me to push it to where it sounds better....not great, but better.

• Members

I'm using a Taylor 414CE.

The pickups are not the Expression system (it's whatever the other one is).

It sounds like ass (although I've heard MANY of these systems that sound great).

I have to put it through the Fishman Aura before it is usable.

I'm trying to change my battery every 2 months now (whether I think I need it or not), based on playing 4 days a week.

I'll be watching this thread,I'm always curious what other folks are using.

• Members

I have a Matrix in my 410CE (2000) before the Expression System. I keep everything flat EXCEPT for the mids. I CUT those almost all the way. I also keep the volume at about 3 o'clock and push the preamp a little more. I love it and I'm about as big of a tone snob as there is.

• Members

I hate the Baggs with a passion. I wanted to love it so much when I purchased one and took it back within a week. I had the same inconsistent volume issues and it sounded thin and brittle. I even went out and bought the Para DI and still hated it.

In all fairness this pickup gets great reviews and many seem to love them. I just think in this day and age manufactures shed have the technology to do much better. I'm still in love with the Fishamn that's 12 years old and sits in the hole in the side of my 410

Archived