finding musicians

dgrace

• Members

i would like to get out and play some small venues. the problem is my vocals, i would say im adequate for some of the songs i do, but certainly not great. so i need to find a singer, if they play also, that would be fine, but not a must. ive looked on craigslist, but i dont live in a big city, about an hour north of green bay wi. so how have some of you with dou acts found your partners? any ideas? thanks

• Members

dgrace wrote:

i would like to get out and play some small venues. the problem is my vocals, i would say im adequate for some of the songs i do, but certainly not great. so i need to find a singer, if they play also, that would be fine, but not a must. ive looked on craigslist, but i dont live in a big city, about an hour north of green bay wi. so how have some of you with dou acts found your partners? any ideas? thanks

Sometimes it's pretty hard, particularily finding a partner who's on the same page you are, whether it's musical vision or just dependability...which is why so many of us play solo, or (if we're lucky) in duos or trios.

Hit Open Mics and jam sessions, run your own ad on Craigslist, etc., network as much as you can, putting the word out that you're looking...just don't give up!

• Members

A singer who can't play is iffy as a musician. I'll say no more about that. Otherwise, a singer is his/her voice plus his/her musicianship. I think the idea of going to open stages is a good one.

• Moderators

Open mic nights is a good way to find people, since it will be almost an audition (you see their abilities and preferred styles right there)...also, check with local music stores; they usually have teachers, and they may teach voice as well as instruments. They may have insight into what you need, and know someone suitable, or maybe you need to work on your singing with a vocal coach....

• Members

I'm going to just disagree completely with Pogo there. I'll sayno more about that. But in addition to open mics, check out karaoke and churches. I've been offered spots from karaoke and given them serious consideration.

If there is one thing I'd do, it would be go to a bunch of open mics, not to scout talent, but to make friends, and maybe choose a partner from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

things have a funny way of happening when youre ready...  being fed up once again with the politics and egos of "band drama" i decided to do the solo thing again...  after years of playing drums i brought out the guitars and banjo and started putting together a list...  i ran onto dead end after dead end on craigslist, etc i found an add that seemed skectchy but it was close and i the promise of a little studio time gave me the incentive to go ahead and meet the guy...  control freak, rigid starched underwear type that just wouldnt work for more than a few gigs...  but he gave me the name of a good luthier about 45 minutes away who worked on a few of my guitars... one afternoon as i picked up one of my acoustics from a re-fret we both sat down, traded some tunes back and forth and had some fun ... he called me two days later to sit in at a gig with him and we have been playing together several times a month for about 2 years now...  

Archived