Adding a third on percussion?

RoadRanger

• Members

Any of you duos sometimes have a third playing percussion or thinking about it? If so what percussion? Cajon? Congas? Bongos? Washboard? Acoustic or Electronic? I saw a duo once where there was a guitarist and a percussionist playing a Roland electronic hand percussion thing that sounded pretty good, I think it was this:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/199/484

They had a Bose L1 - the poor little bass module sounded like it was about to come apart LOL.

• Members

I don't know about duos but as a solo I would love it. I have tried lots of ways to get percussion worked in and with only limited success my next venture will be recording just percussion onto backing tracks to see how that works out. I am simply not dexterous enough to do much other than tap my foot when I am in full flow. But getting a percussionist in is a step too far for me.

Cheers Steve

• Moderators

I stumbled on this a while back...how much simpler can it be? I have a few old headphones laying around...and I may actually get around to trying this. The principle is basic enough, the speaker diaphragm becomes the microphone diaphragm.

• Members

I play a cajon with a kick pedal for hands free operation. I shove a sm57 in the sound hole and run it to the pa, gives a nice thump. For a few of my partners songs I sit and go full time on the cajon. I also have a korg wavedrum but haven't used it much yet. Heads turn once I start thumpin, sound good. I used a pearl boom box cajon and gibraltar cajon kick pedal.

• Members

We have a hand percussionist. He and I play a lot of duo gigs, and we also do trio gigs with another guitarist.

His kit is two bongos, two congas, and various shakers, bells, tambourines, etc.

The trio has been very well received. It gives a bit more of a "band" feeling without having to be loud enough to keep up with a true drummer.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

Any of you duos sometimes have a third playing percussion or thinking about it? If so what percussion? Cajon? Congas? Bongos? Washboard? Acoustic or Electronic? I saw a duo once where there was a guitarist and a percussionist playing a Roland electronic hand percussion thing that sounded pretty good, I think it was this:

They had a Bose L1 - the poor little bass module sounded like it was about to come apart LOL.

Currently Too Hot For Snakes' percussionist uses congas, bongos, cajon, washboard, djembe, maracas, and a few home-made percussion "thingies", depending on the tune:

Your local hardware store has many fun possibilities..

• Members

My duo consists of keyboard and guitar or bass. My Wife occassionally joins us on stage and sings. Sometimes she does some light percussion (Tamborine or shaker eggs).

If we were to add a third person, I would consider a permanent bassist or lead guitarist before adding percussion.

Archived