Wedge Monitors

SusieP

• Members

Our current wedge monitors are still under warranty, but we don't really like them much for various reasons.

They are a bit heavy and awkward to carry because of how the weight is distributed and we don't like how they sound when pushed a bit. They don't have a graphic equaliser - just a treble, middle and bass knob - and have 15 inch horns and an output level of 150w, 8ohms. They are powered ones.

So when the warranty expires we will be looking to part exchange them for new ones.

A store we trust to sell us good stuff are recommending a brand that we have not tried and tested yet

[L2 Audio , http://www.musicgeardirect.co.uk/pa-sound-products-by-brand/l2-audio/wedge-monitors/ ]

but they don't make Monitors with 15 inch horns. Their biggest is 12 inches and its 200w, 8ohms.

So, my question is, which is better - the horn size or the wattage?

15 inch 150 w monitor v 12 inch 200 w monitor

Or does the larger wattage on the smaller horned one make them more or less even in sound?

If they even out, the choice would be the lighter weight and of course lower price that wins through.

Obviously we will go and listen to the Monitors when the time comes, but just generally, which is better?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SusieP wrote:

[L2 Audio ,
http://www.musicgeardirect.co.uk/pa-sound-products-by-brand/l2-audio/wedge-monitors/
]

Those aren't even biamp'd - complete crap. I'd take a Behringer B210D over those any day. Just for a monitor a B208D would be fine unless you are a rock band or are stone deaf. I use those as mains for my jazz band. You can of course spend more for QSC, RCF, JBL, etc.

And to the Behringer haters - tongue.gif.

• Members

SusieP wrote:

Our current wedge monitors are still under warranty, but we don't really like them much for various reasons.

They are a bit heavy and awkward to carry because of how the weight is distributed and we don't like how they sound when pushed a bit.
They don't have a graphic equaliser
- just a treble, middle and bass knob - and have 15 inch horns and an output level of 150w, 8ohms. They are powered ones.

So when the warranty expires we will be looking to part exchange them for new ones.

I haven't seen many monitors with GEQ, well I haven't seen any but never say never. Treble, and bass should be more than enough if your mics, board, actual monitor and volume requirements all match up. Mid control would be a bonus.

Regarding Behr... Some people buy Behr because they have had good luck with the products, like the sound, and appreciate the cost savings. Other people (like me) don't buy Behr because they have had terrible luck with performance, don't like the sound, and don't like Uli's business practices. And there are others who don't want (or can't afford) to be seen with anything Behr on stage. But it's a personal choice - whatever floats your boat.

I would go with a 10" or 12" speaker wedge myself. They're lighter, smaller and just might have a "better" vocal sound. Actually I'm using one 8" speaker for many of my solo gigs, and sometimes I get asked to turn down. But in the interests of my drum machine, I'm probably going back to a 10" speaker.

I would also recommend going with a speaker that can do double duty as a monitor or FOH.  At the solo/duo level, versatility is king IMO.

• Members

I'm not so certain about the sonic difference between 12's and 15's. I own EAW 15's and Bag End 12's. Both sound outstanding with vocals, I can't say the 12's sound better, just different. The 15's do give me a bit more low end but not a huge difference.

I do like the option of a rotateable horn unit for dual duty. If you can find them, the DUS line is a great value and they have a rotatable horn very similar to one made by RCF

• Members

Our current ones weigh 24.5 kg.

It's not so much the actual weight, it's the distribution of it. These just seem so awkward to carry compared to other we have had.

And we have a huge Transit van.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

I'm not so certain about the sonic difference between 12's and 15's. I own EAW 15's and Bag End 12's. Both sound outstanding with vocals, I can't say the 12's sound better, just different. The 15's do give me a bit more low end but not a huge difference.

I do like the option of a rotateable horn unit for dual duty. If you can find them, the DUS line is a great value and they have a rotatable horn very similar to one made by RCF

Thanks Tomm.

See, my thinking is, if 12" ones will give us a decent enough sound and won't sound too different to 15"s - and we have spent approx

• Members

Unless you're running substantial low end thru the monitors, you can probably do just fine with 12's. However, good wedges are an investment. 15's might offer a bit more flexibility but even that is not an absolute.

I purchased my EAW's and Bag Ends used. I just waited until the right offer came up and saved about 3 times what they would have been new. Ultimately I think it's more important how good the wedges sound than other considerations. Certainly there are other factors but (to me) the quality of sound is priority.

• Members

Let me add one more thing. I understand why someone might shy from a heavy cabinet but how much do you really move a pair/set of wedges? In the grand scheme of things, is it really a deal breaker? Weight is way down my list on wedges. They are small cabinets by design anyway, how truly heavy can they get? Just my opinion.

Archived