• Last Reply
  • Members

1315064951_Gary_Guitar_BVMF.jpg

At the Blackstone Valley Music Festival - September 2010

Creating_Change_2_1272895966.jpg

At Artists Creating for a Cure - July 2010

gary2_1271356757.jpg

At Cakettes Coffee Shop - Early 2010

1) Can you guys tell more about the genre of music you perform?

I consider my music to be folk music. Eighty percent or more is original, but written in folk style with simple chord structure and song structure.

2) How many years have you been doing solo/duo gigs?

I have been performing solo since about 1968. Prior to that I was in a duo with my older brother Ken. I have done a couple of short-lived band projects and another duo with my brother Brian, but for the most part have worked solo.

3) What are the challenges you face doing this?

For me, the biggest challenge is finding places to gig. Not many places want performers doing unfamiliar material. Other than that, there are some songs that I have written that really need a lead guitar, flute, or fiddle; those tend not to get performed unless I can get someone to sit in on a few songs at a gig.

• Members

I'm playing the electric.

Live_rock_band_music_duo_Finally_Friday-

320154_274371232590445_203163483044554_1

Edit:

1) Popular rock. Mostly classic, a some contemporary, a few countryish tunes.

2) Been playing solo & duo somewhat regularly since I was 16, so 30 years.

3) Vocal stamina is probably my biggest challenge. I can play every night of the week, but more than three 3.5-4 hour nights of singing pushes my limits. I transpose a lot.

• Members

Get.aspx?g={A112961F-22D1-4CE4-A054-9ECB

Performing at the Conchtoberfest 2010 festival at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key.

Get.aspx?g={1070C63F-319B-4D07-95F2-F2F8

Playing with Clarence Clemons at the Dockside Bar & Grill, Marathon, Florida Keys.

Get.aspx?g={9ABD92F5-66F6-4DE0-8C59-BCC1

Get.aspx?g={EBC340E8-318B-4203-BE3D-7D73

Rocking out at the Bash at the Bridge, 2006, Marathon, Florida Keys.

For solo performances it's predominantly acoustic classic rock and singer/songwriter stuff with a lot of originals thrown in. For band gigs it's predominantly electric classic rock with several originals thrown in. For festivals, it's a lot more originals and I'll mix solo and band sets.

:rawk:

• Members

Sir...is that tuned differently from a typical 6 string guitar? What are they tuned in...from thinnest to thickest strings?

The stock tuning is F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E, as fingerpicker says.

I often use this stock tuning, but sometimes for solo jazz work, I tune E-A-E-A-D-G-B-E, so that I can choose to do root on "bass" just by moving the root of my drop-2 or drop-3 shapes down two strings.

This is a variation on Charlie Hunter tuning, which is E-A-D-A-D-G-B-E

Also, I've been experimenting off and on with tuning in 4ths: F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F

• Members

I played that room a long time ago... the PA sucked, the cocktail waitresses were passed out drunk, and the favorite local song was Marty Robbins' "El Paso."

I once played at the Cantina that was in the John Wayne movie "The Alamo". Except for the occasional musket ball it wasn't bad. I've played in scarier places.

Archived