Local Bud Hanging w/ Tommy Emmanuel

Potts

• Members

This is Jamie Holka...I can't explain how talented he is. I got to see a rare treat last night- he put a band together and played the Lewiston Jazz Festival near Niagara Falls. I sat there amazed at the talent we have in our little community. I wish I captured some vid. This is cool though...

Anyway- check this out and watch the entire thing...Listen to what Tommy says about playing for the "public"

• Members

Very interesting. I've seen Tommy play a few times and attended a couple of seminars by him, back in the nineties - fantastic player, one of my faves.  I know what he meant with his comments about the tune Superstition. You could see him kind of smiling when the young lad took forever to get into the tune. With the public it's don't bore us get to the chorus - especially in a concert setting. Music for dancing is a whole other bag, but concert stuff has to be interesting.

Last Thursday I did a small concert style gig in an art gallery. The whole band had to switch gears and try to make each moment count because we were it. No distractions, no meals, no conversation, no dancing, no trying to pick someone up, just the band. So it's important to remember that.

And I've also found that folks will usually want to hear an average version of a song they like, then a great version of a song they don't care for. Of course a musician can really win big if he does a great version of a tune the audience likes - especially if it's a self penned original.

Archived